Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I should add, to be completely fair, that I think a lot of younger people who are more active in their daily lives are making a big mistake by jumping straight onto 1200 as their total number for the day. But MFP never intended for them to do that. It is for sedentary people and that means it is not for people who work on their feet, students who cross campus with giant backpacks full of books, and those kids trampling across people's lawns. These hoodlums need to eat more than 1200 every day even if they don't make a conscious effort to work out. Now get off my lawn!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    It works great for me! Maintaining on 1200-1300 for 20 years now. Feel free to add my story to your scrap book.

You look great. And healthy. And I predict your offer to be added to the (biased) scrap book will be ignored.

I've seen plenty of posts by people who tried eating more on the advice of other MFPers. They gained weight.

I am over 40 under 5'4 completely sedentary and cannot work out regularly or hard for much of the year thanks to allergy induced asthma. If I eat over 1200 regularly I simply will not lose. Or I'll gain. I would invite one of these champions of the higher calorie diets over to check my plate and scale in order to prove to them the truth of what I say, but that would be creepy.

you may want to look into this book: "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You" http://www.amazon.com/Why-Stomach-Acid-Good-You/dp/0871319314

Yeah... seems like a random thing to bring up right? Actually turns out, that you can actually significantly decrease allergies, if not eliminate them, by fixing your gut and digestive function. Almost all Americans and Europeans have less than stellar digestive processes due to years and years of eating badly and often taking antacids at the advice of doctors. But there's been a lot of research lately that shows that healthy digestive function can literally cure a ridiculous number of illnesses - even some that seem unrelated to gut function. Turns out, if you're not digesting your food properly, you aren't getting the nutrition you think you are, and it can cause all sorts of issues all over the body - including allergies. Now obviously some things are genetic, and if you've had them your whole life, that may not be related to this, but if not, and they developed later, it might be worth exploring.

Losing weight is great, but figuring out a way to get yourself more active will reap so many more benefits.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore. :)
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a friend in real life who is almost 40, eats right at 1200 calories daily, along with running 9 miles a day and got to her goal and has maintained for a year with building muscle. It's not always black and white to me when I take her into account...

BUT with that said, I cannot eat that little without dying LOL. I'm trying to up my calories in order to better lose. I'm at 1500 now on non exercise days and eat back exercise but struggling to do it without junk. Would love to see someone's typical food day that eats a good amount of calories on ONLY healthy food and is losing weight steady. I've asked this in the past and been told to eat ice cream and cake and I'm NOT doing that.

I think this could be an informing thread for people but disagree in the way it was done (singling out people who have posted for help is not right in my opinion)
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anyone over 60? Lets see you in a bikini? I looked hot in mine at 40.

This woman is 75.

93082886-amazing-ernestine.jpg

(I've got 15 years before I get to 60, but I think she's awesome)

But...
    Shepherd said she eats several small meals a day as part of a diet plan she formulated with her trainers. She takes in 1,700 calories a day, mostly comprised of boiled egg whites, chicken, vegetables and a liquid egg white drink. And she is adamant that she does not use performance-enhancing drugs or even supplements beyond vitamin D.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/HealthyLiving/ernestine-shepherd-find-grandma-flab-fab/story?id=11149879

That's actually not a huge amount of calories considering how much she works out.

Shes one in a million. The average woman dosent look like that. It is like saying there should be no fat girls under 60.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    1200 worked just great for me :drinker:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It works great for me! Maintaining on 1200-1300 for 20 years now. Feel free to add my story to your scrap book.

You look great. And healthy. And I predict your offer to be added to the (biased) scrap book will be ignored.

I've seen plenty of posts by people who tried eating more on the advice of other MFPers. They gained weight.

I am over 40 under 5'4 completely sedentary and cannot work out regularly or hard for much of the year thanks to allergy induced asthma. If I eat over 1200 regularly I simply will not lose. Or I'll gain. I would invite one of these champions of the higher calorie diets over to check my plate and scale in order to prove to them the truth of what I say, but that would be creepy.

you may want to look into this book: "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You" http://www.amazon.com/Why-Stomach-Acid-Good-You/dp/0871319314

Yeah... seems like a random thing to bring up right? Actually turns out, that you can actually significantly decrease allergies, if not eliminate them, by fixing your gut and digestive function. Almost all Americans and Europeans have less than stellar digestive processes due to years and years of eating badly and often taking antacids at the advice of doctors. But there's been a lot of research lately that shows that healthy digestive function can literally cure a ridiculous number of illnesses - even some that seem unrelated to gut function. Turns out, if you're not digesting your food properly, you aren't getting the nutrition you think you are, and it can cause all sorts of issues all over the body - including allergies. Now obviously some things are genetic, and if you've had them your whole life, that may not be related to this, but if not, and they developed later, it might be worth exploring.

Losing weight is great, but figuring out a way to get yourself more active will reap so many more benefits.

Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore. :)

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I was pretty sad when I realized low carb didn't fix the issue, some people have gotten rid of or reduced their allergies that way, but not me, I'm still wheezing and sick.

Oh, and I have had them my whole life, but never like this. It's gotten much worse over the years.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Anyone over 60? Lets see you in a bikini? I looked hot in mine at 40.

OK, that's just mean!

I'm 52 and I could care less about looking hot in a bikini, I just want to be able to play with my grand babies and be able to keep up with them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I can do 1200 for my breakfast.

I got told yesterday that only 900 calories for one meal is "ridiculous." The person didn't respond when I insinuated they must be on 1200ish. :laugh:
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Something that people tend to ignore in these threads is that most people are not very good at logging their calories. So when they say they are taking in 1200, it may be realistically a lot more. There is no way to know they are actually measuring it accurately, by using a food scale.

Controlled low calorie diets in hospitals work, where the calories are accurately measured, so people haven't defied the laws of thermodynamics here :P Something is up when someone isn't losing weight on a low calorie diet AND have a great deal of weight to lose.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Boom!!!!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My response to all those links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

To quote an earlier thread...That is not a normal breakfast!! Maybe if you're a linebacker!!! You must be one of those ectomorphs!! I know my body!!

^^ Yep. That was the thread. I guess I'm a linebacker too! :laugh:
  • Dobie76
    Dobie76 Posts: 17
    Options
    I've been following these kind of discussions pretty closely every since becoming more active with MFP about a week ago. These discussions have been absolutely eye opening for me. I didn't realize I was trying to fit myself into a mold that wasn't meant for me. I think if 1200 works for most, then it's what you should do. I'm realizing now that it doesn't work for everyone and that we should all take a look at the information and see what works for us as individuals.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    My response to all those links:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

Damn straight.
    Discrepancy between self-reported and actual caloric intake and exercise in obese subjects.
    Lichtman SW, Pisarska K, Berman ER, Pestone M, Dowling H, Offenbacher E, Weisel H, Heshka S, Matthews DE, Heymsfield SB.
    Source
    Department of Medicine, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY.
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND METHODS:
    Some obese subjects repeatedly fail to lose weight even though they report restricting their caloric intake to less than 1200 kcal per day. We studied two explanations for this apparent resistance to diet--low total energy expenditure and underreporting of caloric intake--in 224 consecutive obese subjects presenting for treatment. Group 1 consisted of nine women and one man with a history of diet resistance in whom we evaluated total energy expenditure and its main thermogenic components and actual energy intake for 14 days by indirect calorimetry and analysis of body composition. Group 2, subgroups of which served as controls in the various evaluations, consisted of 67 women and 13 men with no history of diet resistance.
    RESULTS:
    Total energy expenditure and resting metabolic rate in the subjects with diet resistance (group 1) were within 5 percent of the predicted values for body composition, and there was no significant difference between groups 1 and 2 in the thermic effects of food and exercise. Low energy expenditure was thus excluded as a mechanism of self-reported diet resistance. In contrast, the subjects in group 1 underreported their actual food intake by an average (+/- SD) of 47 +/- 16 percent and overreported their physical activity by 51 +/- 75 percent. Although the subjects in group 1 had no distinct psychopathologic characteristics, they perceived a genetic cause for their obesity, used thyroid medication at a high frequency, and described their eating behavior as relatively normal (all P < 0.05 as compared with group 2).
    CONCLUSIONS:
    The failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an abnormality in thermogenesis.

Pretty much bang on what I just posted.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day... gradually stepped down from about 1550 as I lost weight. I plan my meals carefully on the Sunday before each week, making sure each one is satisfying and nutritious. I never feel starved or deprived and I have had a lot of success. And, the best part, I am perfectly happy.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Haha! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I should add, to be completely fair, that I think a lot of younger people who are more active in their daily lives are making a big mistake by jumping straight onto 1200 as their total number for the day. But MFP never intended for them to do that. It is for sedentary people and that means it is not for people who work on their feet, students who cross campus with giant backpacks full of books, and those kids trampling across people's lawns. These hoodlums need to eat more than 1200 every day even if they don't make a conscious effort to work out. Now get off my lawn!

This exactly is the point. Just because 1200 calories a day is the right number of calories for a very petite, sedentary, older woman or someone with a medical issue that slows the metabolism, does not make it the right number of calories for a larger, younger more active person with no medical issues.

If someone genuinely only needs to eat 1200 calories a day, and they punch their data into a TDEE calculator and subtract ten or twenty percent (depending on how much they have left to lose), then the number they end up with will be 1200 calories (or close to it) and they can carry on safe in the knowledge that it's the right number of calories for them. The problem is, the vast majority of the time when people on 1200 calories a day diets do that, they get a really big number, sometimes well over 2000. Some of them think again and work their way up to eating the higher number of calories, and end up feeling a lot happier, healthier and having a lot more energy, and also experience more steady weight loss as a result. Others freak out at the big number, refuse to eat that much and carry on eating 1200 calories a day. Then there are those who refuse to even try to punch their numbers in the calculators. People who genuinely need to only eat 1200 calories a day will not lose anything by punching their numbers into the calculators to see if they really and truly do only need to eat 1200 calories a day.

*tiptoes carefully from your lawn*
  • lenap73
    lenap73 Posts: 11
    Options
    Great link.
    Also, many people don't understand that it's not always about the calories. If you eat fried bacon cheese burgers everyday you will never end up ripped. It's what you eat that matters more than how many calories you eat. I worked my way down to 120lbs once before by eating all the right foods and doing all the right exercises at the right times. I Never counted calories until now and it works for me....which might not work for anyone else...cuz we're all different
  • TendaiMa
    TendaiMa Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    don't care about all the posts in this thread

taso, get ready for this:

you're so damn right. :drinker:

26 YO male! What else is new. :laugh: