dont eat meat ever again!

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I think we should stop eating factory farmed meat and choose to eat grassfed free range organic meat. This is no more expensive if you source it right. I don't believe becoming vegetarian solves the problem at all.

I think they both solve the problem in different ways. I'm not a vegetarian, and I only eat grassfed free range - and yes, that does make a difference, but so does going veg. Literally any way you can live your life and NOT support the factory farming industry with your money is doing the same amount of good, regardless of where that money ends up going.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think we should stop eating factory farmed meat and choose to eat grassfed free range organic meat. This is no more expensive if you source it right. I don't believe becoming vegetarian solves the problem at all.

I think they both solve the problem in different ways. I'm not a vegetarian, and I only eat grassfed free range - and yes, that does make a difference, but so does going veg. Literally any way you can live your life and NOT support the factory farming industry with your money is doing the same amount of good, regardless of where that money ends up going.

Lets face it thou many people will not give up meat, insisting on animal welfare is going to be more impactive. Your more likely to turn a meat eater towards eating meat from grassfed farms than you are to turn them vegetarian.

I do agree thou that both will make a difference but id never give up meat for health reasons.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about factory farming that's not what the thread is about. Please start a new one for that!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about factory farming that's not what the thread is about. Please start a new one for that!

i meeean... it IS a good reason not to eat meat ever again! :tongue:

but you're right. i'm done. sorry 'bout that.
  • psychedelicfrenzy
    psychedelicfrenzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It pretty much helps that I'm a lesbian and a vegetarian (mostly vegan...lactose intolerant, woo~~) because I just say "I don't like any kind kind of meat." and be telling the truth. It's amusing seeing people's reactions.

you're awesome

Thanks man. :D
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "What kind of sausages are they?" "veggie ones" "oh, are you veggie!?" "yeah"

Then I get loads of funny faces, loads of questions and "oooh, I could neeeeever give up meat, I love the taste!"

People always claim vegans/veggies preach to people, yet it's actually the opposite. If people ask, I tell them. I personally find it disturbing that people kill animals to eat them out of their selfishness, but do I need to enforce my opinions on to others? No, but I find meat eaters do.

:smile:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    "I would rather have loads of innocent animals bred and killed than never eat bacon again, omg! I just looove the taste of bacon and do not care how scared those animals are on the way to get slaughtered! Mmm, steak is so juicy!"

This is the vibe I ALWAYS get from meat eaters. :indifferent:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more veggies and fruits anymore, but still enjoy the nutritional values (and taste) of small portions of meat.

No one I know ever says anything about people who choose to just eat vegan.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Because people are generally stupid and egocentric. Anything considered outside of their "norm" is scary/bad/evil/of the devil and they don't know how to deal with it.

The world would be a far far better place if people simply learned to worry about themselves and not the person next to them. You don't have to love thy neighbor, but you do need to learn to accept them.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I never react when people tell me that they are vegetarian, other than thinking to myself that I have not personally been able to be satisified without meat protein. I don't eat a ton of meat but I love it and refuse to give it up. I also respect people who choose to be vegetarian as well. It's not that difficult to get adequate nutrition either way...
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I say I am vegetarian why does the other person assume that I just asked them to not eat meat? I don't understand that. Or why they need to bring up how much they "love"bacon or say "mmmm burgers" as if I cannot have them? I can, I can have vegetarian ones or I can go get one made out of meat. I choose not to eat animals, its not that I can't. So I would like some insight from non-vegetarians, is this your reaction or what do you say to someone you meet and they say they are vegetarian? If that is your reaction, why? Is it threatening that someone doesn't eat animals? Or do you take ot as an opportunity to joke? Or what if your reaction is different?

Also, vegetarians what reactions do you get? How do you respond? Also have you had any flack about ordering vegetarian at a resteraunt?

My wife is pretty much vegetarian while Im far from it so I guess I see both sides. Naturally I have no issue with it. Everyone has their own choices to make. If someone is veggie *shrug* no prob. I'm of course the ultimate hypocrite. I hate animal cruelty yet I turn a blind eye to what I know goes on so that I may enjoy the meat I chose to eat.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The only time I care is if i'm having someone over for dinner. If you don't eat Pork I'm going to fix chicken. If you don't eat Meat then I'll go meatless but I'm also not going to fix some ridiculous fake version of meat (tofurkey or fakon etc), I will fix a beautiful presentable Ratatouille that looks like it came out of a disney movie.

:heart: :smooched: :heart:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Some people are afraid/uncomfortable/infuriated by anything or anyone who is different from them, and the knee-jerk reaction is to insult/preach/kill-it-with-sticks. It's not specific to dietary habits. It happens in pretty much every area of life. It's just the way humanity is.

tumblr_mj538jH9Iu1r4y896o1_500.jpg

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    What other people eat is none of my business.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Because people are generally stupid and egocentric. Anything considered outside of their "norm" is scary/bad/evil/of the devil and they don't know how to deal with it.

The world would be a far far better place if people simply learned to worry about themselves and not the person next to them. You don't have to love thy neighbor, but you do need to learn to accept them.

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian,but I am a food activist, so I'm sensitive to a variety of reasons that people don't eat certain things.

If someone tells me s/he a vegetarian, my only response is, "vegan, lacto-ovo, or pescatarian"? SO I can be sure that when I cook for them, they can eat it!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sigh....Hippies

If someone says they are a veggie and if I were to respond with I love some sort of meat ....that's the reason I am not a veggie, and I choose to enjoy the textures, and flavors that go with certain meats/fish...Don't mention you're one if you don't like the reaction. Would you rather have someone say neato after you mention it...?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    When I say I am vegetarian why does the other person assume that I just asked them to not eat meat? I don't understand that. Or why they need to bring up how much they "love"bacon or say "mmmm burgers" as if I cannot have them? I can, I can have vegetarian ones or I can go get one made out of meat. I choose not to eat animals, its not that I can't. So I would like some insight from non-vegetarians, is this your reaction or what do you say to someone you meet and they say they are vegetarian? If that is your reaction, why? Is it threatening that someone doesn't eat animals? Or do you take ot as an opportunity to joke? Or what if your reaction is different?

Also, vegetarians what reactions do you get? How do you respond? Also have you had any flack about ordering vegetarian at a resteraunt?

I had a friend who is vegetarian and for me personally I got tired of his soap-box meat bashing and eventually I stopped being friends with him because of his "holier than thou" attitude. I know that not all vegetarians/vegans are like that and I'm not saying that you are. I might ask why one chooses not to eat meat and I might mention how much I like meat and as long as they're not slamming me for my choice of food then I'm not going to say a word about theirs.

I'm also not a jerk and will make accommodations for a friend who might not eat meat and if we are going out to dinner I will find a restaurant that has a variety of vegetarian meals for them to choose from and will lay out the restaurants for them, let them look at the menu (if they have one on line) and make the decision where to eat or if they are coming here I will find out what they like to eat and will make them something accordingly. My husband worked with someone who was a vegan and he was staying at our house and we cooked up a really yummy tofu stir fry.

I don't care if someone chooses not to eat meat it's when they try to push their views on animals, start posting pictures of slaughters on Facebook with a post that says "If this offends you YOU need to question WHY!" that it starts to bother me. No I don't have to question why your post is offensive to me. I don't like animal cruelty and I understand the way animals are slaughtered but it's really not going to stop me from eating my meat and having a vegetarian try to shove their beliefs in my face is really going to make me not want to be your friend.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've seen similar obnoxious behavior to what you describe when someone gives up drinking, drugging, or smoking. Somebody is sure to consider it a serious affront to his or her own choices.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I eat the trolls for breakfast.
    And the cute lil bunnies for dessert.

/thread