Diet Fads!!

Options
Okay, I've heard of people being on a vegan diet, a Paleo diet, and then the classic high-protein, low-carb diet. What diet is best?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one that YOU can stick with for life.

Something different works for everyone. Find the lifestyle you can stick with and rock on with it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Which ever one you can eat for the rest of your life. Don't think of it as a 'Diet' or it won't work.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    See food. Eat food.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Something different works for everyone. Find the lifestyle you can stick with and rock on with it.

QFT.

If you'll fail trying to give up meat, vegan is not the choice for you. If you'll fail trying to give up pasta, Paleo is not the choice for you. Personally, I just try to do everything in moderation and make about 80% of my food choices healthy ones. It's something I can stick to and live with.
  • chels0722
    Options

Agreed. Weight loss shouldn't be temporary, so neither should your eating habits. Eat in a way that you can see yourself eating for the rest of your life :)
  • SarahSilkSugar
    SarahSilkSugar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've heard the low fat high carb vegan diet is very good. Check out the videos of 'durianrider' on youtube its really interesting :) But I'm not really ready to make such a drastic change in my diet, so I start of slow by integrating more fruits and vegetables in my diet. I also recommend checking out 'Kimberly Snyder', she has a blog. Good luck finding what works for you.
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Agreed. Weight loss shouldn't be temporary, so neither should your eating habits. Eat in a way that you can see yourself eating for the rest of your life :)

Double Agree. I still eat everything I used to eat, just in much better moderation. If I were to cut something out entirely, I would eventually miss it, give up, and gorge myself on it.

One thing that I do view as temporary is my calorie deficit - I'm still eating at a 1,000 calorie deficit daily, and I look forward to the day when I'm at my goal weight, and can re-adjust to a higher calorie intake that will just sustain weight. But the changes I've made do need to be somewhat permanent - you can't ever go back 100% to the way you used to eat if you weren't happy with your weight under those conditions.
  • chels0722
    Options

Double Agree. I still eat everything I used to eat, just in much better moderation. If I were to cut something out entirely, I would eventually miss it, give up, and gorge myself on it.

One thing that I do view as temporary is my calorie deficit - I'm still eating at a 1,000 calorie deficit daily, and I look forward to the day when I'm at my goal weight, and can re-adjust to a higher calorie intake that will just sustain weight. But the changes I've made do need to be somewhat permanent - you can't ever go back 100% to the way you used to eat if you weren't happy with your weight under those conditions.

Well looking at your ticker it looks like you are doing a wonderful job! I'm rooting for you to reach your goals!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the one where I can eat anything I want and as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, I lose weight. You know, sort of the default MFP setup. Pizza, McDonalds, ice cream and cookies seem to be working well for me.

Highly recommend
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, but I do not consider it a fad. I have been vegan for 12 years though, so maybe I am somehow missing out on the fad part.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any sustainable diet that includes good nutrition.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the one where I can eat anything I want and as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, I lose weight. You know, sort of the default MFP setup. Pizza, McDonalds, ice cream and cookies seem to be working well for me.

Highly recommend

and this is what's dangerous about MFP and IIFYM, because you left out the part where you should still be meeting your macro and micro nutritional goals with whole foods, and the junk should only be a small % of your overall intake.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Your diet shouldn't be a fad, it should be a lifestyle. Remember a "diet" is just what you eat on a daily basis, not necessarily to gain/lose weight. Many people today incorrectly consider a "diet" to be synonymous with weight loss. They say "I'm going on a diet to lose weight". They have always been on a "diet", it's just now they are changing the contents of that "diet" to attain certain goals.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

haha we're almost always on the same page when we keep things vague. lol :tongue:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

haha we're almost always on the same page when we keep things vague. lol :tongue:

we'll probably be friends within the next 3 months
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Tapeworm + Liver Cleanse + Fast 23 hours a day & eat whatever you want for one hour = GOLD
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    As others have stated...whatever is going to be sustainable for you long term.
  • chels0722
    Options
    Tapeworm + Liver Cleanse + Fast 23 hours a day & eat whatever you want for one hour = GOLD

Ah! I knew I was doing something wrong!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

This!

From a health perspective, you need lots of veggies. As long as you have healthy kidneys, you also need lots of protein. Everything else is negotiable.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

This!

From a health perspective, you need lots of veggies. As long as you have healthy kidneys, you also need lots of protein. Everything else is negotiable.

that's actually arguable, so... as to avoid the argument, lets say "do your own research and find something you think you can stick to indefinitely that will keep you happy and healthy"

:smile: