Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    deleted since it repeats a previous post
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Well, considering the FDA has stated that hCG is not approved for weight loss, and the people selling it OTC are selling it illegaly, I'd be very cautious of starting that kind of diet. If you are under full doctor supervision, both at the start and during the transition back to normal eating habits, then if your doctor put you on that diet, that's between you and him/her. But it doesn't look like a diet you want to just start on your own. That may be why it was locked; this isn't a safe diet for anyone to just try.

because something is not FDA approved does not mean that it is illegal to sell OTC

The FDA has specifically called it fraudulent, and made it illegal.

I saw one the other day labelled "does not contain hormones," so I am not sure it is actually being sold OTC. Just some Holy Water to go with your very low calorie diet.

It is illegal to sell without a prescription in both Canada and US. I haven't checked other countries.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Just because YOU went to a doctor for your starvation diet doesn't mean everyone will.

THIS is probably one of the big reasons. Not everyone who sees your results will also say "I need to talk to my doctor to do this". There are some here who would likely try it without medical supervision. Because of this, the site generally tries to keep things to practices that can generally help most people while providing the least risk.

If your doctor says something else or advocates a low-calorie diet, it's a different ballgame. Your doctor is a medical professional with a lot more training and education and a better idea of why it should work for you. Some people don't understand that, just because your doctor said you could do it, that doesn't mean it's a medical opinion they can do it, too.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It is illegal to sell without a prescription in both Canada and US. I haven't checked other countries.

Hence, how many user become peddlers.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of Ana/Mia websites out there that promote how well 500 calories or less. I am pretty sure they're not allowed on here either. Glad it worked for you but its another fad diet and this site is for people who are serious about becoming healthy.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to read the original post about your success, so I can't comment on that. However, I feel it is a little hypocritical of the mods to lock subjects like that, but there will be multiple posts everyday with subjects like, Rate the person above you...Bang, kiss, hug, or wave in regards to the person above you.
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    tHw0b.gif
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen with HCG users, they always end up peddling it to others. So I am always leary.

What is it that you mean 'peddling it to others'.... I am not sure what is meant by that? And basically the ones that are skeptical are the ones that have not done it. Those who have seem to love it.

My wife got talked into it by the ladies in the neighborhood. Of course she lost weight eating so little. And gained it back just like everyone else who did it too. She is now just eating helathy, exercising, and doing what she should have done instead of a fad.

There is no miracle pill or shot.

^^^ Yeah, anything that low calorie you can't bring yourself back to real life and a real eating plan. And why must everyone consider eating a "diet" it's not, it's a lifestyle. Eat healthy, live healthy.

My mom lost 90lbs just eating right, watching portions and working out 3-4x a week. Old fashioned way and she eats ice cream when she wants it - just has A serving instead of 10.

This HCG diet is not healthy even if your doctor tells you it's ok, that's bull and that doctor should be monitoring you to an extreme extent if you are on such a low calorie diet.

Of course I don't think anyone EVER should be on such a low calorie diet. PERIOD.

1200 is low enough for you to lose weight in a healthy way.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This was a 500 calorie a day diet you were on? How long have you kept off the weight after resuming a normal calorie diet?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, you knew it was a forbidden topic, your title even said so (and yes, I read the original thread that was locked).

The reasons why it was locked were sited above by two different posters. Continuing to push it by posting this thread only fuels the flames. If you haven't read the rules, read them immediately and follow them. Or if you don't like them and don't plan to follow them, find another site to use that'll put up with your shenanigans. Seriously, it's a free site...do you really think you have grounds to complain?

Just admit it, you were trying to stir things up (by knowingly posting about something controversial here on MFP) and you won't let it go. That makes you a troll my dear.

And come back in a year when you're off the meds and tell us how you've kept the weight off in a healthy way. Then I might listen to your success story.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The rules on this are very clear:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.

c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.

d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would demand to have my money I pay to be on this site returned!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to read the original post about your success, so I can't comment on that. However, I feel it is a little hypocritical of the mods to lock subjects like that, but there will be multiple posts everyday with subjects like, Rate the person above you...Bang, kiss, hug, or wave in regards to the person above you.

Those posts are in the chit chat section and do not violate any rules. MFP feels that topics on hCG violate their rule which they clearly posted for her when locking the topic. It is a private site and they have the right to set rules.
  • greenfalls107
    greenfalls107 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think MFP has every right to lock any topic they find to be "possibly" dangerous to anyone. There are many many different ideas on losing weight, and on MFP there are many people who are desperate and looking for a quick way to drop weight no matter the cost to their health.
    I am glad the "program your doctor" is supervising you on, worked for you. I understand you want to discuss it and the share the information with others. However, when there are people in this world who volunteer for things like "butt injections" with no medical experience, people have to careful with whom they share the information with.
    I just saw an ad for a "vampire facelift" injecting your own blood into your face to plump up the wrinkles. That is insane to me, I am not sure I would ever be drunk enough to think that is a good idea.

So please, do not take offense and understand people are just a little bit nuts, and MFP has a responsibility for the content on their website.
    I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss. Take Care.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    HCG is dumb and illegal.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's a private site. They can censor whatever they want. I'm sure you can find an HCG forum out there on the interwebz.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Eff that, they better double it!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Any diet you do is risky unless you are smart about it. "

[/quote]

Not necessarily true, but if that is indeed the case, why not just eat healthy and exercise? Why not put your time, money, and energy into something sustainable and not some fad, quick-fix diet that will reverse itself as soon as you stop doing it? Not criticizing, just putting it out there...what happens after the HCG diet? Or any quick-fix diet? Have you learned to eat healthier? To cook healthier? To shop healthier? Has your mindset changed about food? About exercising? About being healthier not only physically, but emotionally and mentally, as well?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter if your doctor recommended it or not. A lot of people are prescribed marijuana for medical reasons and we're still not allowed to talk about it on the forums.

There are lots of groups for people who enjoy starving themselves....I mean healthy, positive diets. Go join one.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

^^^^^^THIS is EXACTLY what I was getting ready to post! THIS EXACTLY!!
This discussion has been closed.