why do girls only have 14 good days a month?

Options

Replies

• xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    WAIT A MINUTE!! So we're saying in here that even a week before we start our period we could see a weight gain spike? Because maybe that would explain the 4 pounds I've randomly gained when my body fat is the same...And I started today. That **** came out of nowhere too. My period is a ****ing troll.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I take BC, and nearly all my days are good. I workout during my monthly visit from Aunt Flo. Doesn't stop me one bit.
  • Greciankoukla
    Greciankoukla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am not on birth control, but my periods have ALWAYS been three days exactly. And I do not get major PMS either. Maybe a day or bloating then gone.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I know this will make some people crazy. I'm not on the pill, uterus is intact, and I take no drugs. I quit dairy (which is full of hormones that they give to cows to produce milk) and my pms symptoms are gone. No kidding. It may not work for everyone. I'm not pushing this on anyone. Just a note though, it is free to try and if you don't like it or it doesn't work you can always go back. Also I have nothing to gain if you try it. So what do you have to lose other then pms symptoms?

Okay, I'll bite.

Is quitting dairy the only change you have made in the time that your PMS symptoms disappeared? Or did you also start eating differently in general and perhaps exercising more? Because exercise is a proven factor in decreasing the severity of PMS. I would like to see some evidence that dairy intake produces the same effect size.

I can't speak for her but in my case, this was the only variable. I had already been working out consistently for 6-8 months before the switch to hormone-free dairy. And I didn't make any other dietary changes. A Whole Foods had opened not too far from us and I started shopping there regularly and buying their milk and other dairy there. After a couple of months of virtually no pain from the endo and other PMS symptoms and realizing it wasn't just one fluke lucky month, I started really paying attention to what could have caused the sudden positive change. I didn't buy it for that purpose, only the virtue of buying milk from "happy" cows, this was a very happy surprise side effect. This was 8 years ago.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Add hot flashes to the mix.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    you got it bad? we're the ones that have to deal with you!!

But we have to deal with YOU too, plus our 14 days.... back off.:grumble:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    WAIT A MINUTE!! So we're saying in here that even a week before we start our period we could see a weight gain spike? Because maybe that would explain the 4 pounds I've randomly gained when my body fat is the same...And I started today. That **** came out of nowhere too. My period is a ****ing troll.

:laugh:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I know this will make some people crazy. I'm not on the pill, uterus is intact, and I take no drugs. I quit dairy (which is full of hormones that they give to cows to produce milk) and my pms symptoms are gone. No kidding. It may not work for everyone. I'm not pushing this on anyone. Just a note though, it is free to try and if you don't like it or it doesn't work you can always go back. Also I have nothing to gain if you try it. So what do you have to lose other then pms symptoms?

Actually to get cows to produce milk they have them pregnant all year round. The boy cows are useless to them & are killed about 5 days old & the girl cows are kept & the cycle continues. No hormones to produce milk.... it's called being permanently pregnant.

Plus I drink dairy, have not one PMS problem, no cramps, no bloating, no cravings, 3 day periods & only one day would be heavy (compared to the other 2) and don't need to take anything for it. I can see why you would have the wrong information about dairy.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    because we are surrounded by men. lol.:sad:
  • lexlyn14
    lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So I am just venting...7 days before my time of the month I am bloated,hungry, moody and weigh more... Then 7 days during my time of the month I am crampy, bloated, moody and again weigh more...
    We only have a good 14 days a month...Ughhhh...

Vent away.....I totally agree! I'm exactly the same as you! I get 2 weeks of happiness, energy, normal appetite and where I can kick butt in my workouts, then 1 week of cranky, bloating and extreme hunger... then 1 more week of cranky, extreme bloating and hunger, plus; pain, lack of sleep, no exercise. just awful! Makes me really sad, and I think about this issue often.

I am right there with you!!!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

Okay, I'll bite.

Is quitting dairy the only change you have made in the time that your PMS symptoms disappeared? Or did you also start eating differently in general and perhaps exercising more? Because exercise is a proven factor in decreasing the severity of PMS. I would like to see some evidence that dairy intake produces the same effect size.

You are correct it is not the only change this time. However in the past I've watched my diet (with dairy) and exercised and there was no change in that scenario which is why I think it's the no dairy. Hey all you can do is try if it doesn't work go back to dairy and live happily ever after. For me it works. Obviously diet and exercise are not enough because the op is still suffering!
  • FitWithTiff
    Options
    Thanks mother nature.
    True story ://
    We're all with ya though!
  • joleenl
    Options
    Well I've researched it. I think you have your facts wrong. The dairy and meat industry are full of hormones and antibiotics is a fact. And just because your body doesn't react to the hormones does not mean everyone else's doesn't. It's like an allergy some people have zero response and some are totally affected.
  • joleenl
    Options

Actually to get cows to produce milk they have them pregnant all year round. The boy cows are useless to them & are killed about 5 days old & the girl cows are kept & the cycle continues. No hormones to produce milk.... it's called being permanently pregnant.

Plus I drink dairy, have not one PMS problem, no cramps, no bloating, no cravings, 3 day periods & only one day would be heavy (compared to the other 2) and don't need to take anything for it. I can see why you would have the wrong information about dairy.

My last response was supposed to quote this.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Does anyone go through a "mini period" mid cycle when they ovulate? I get migraines and spotting twice a month! Not sure if I also gain weight mid cycle but I probably do. Makes it hard to ever find a good time to weigh myself!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Well I've researched it. I think you have your facts wrong. The dairy and meat industry are full of hormones and antibiotics is a fact. And just because your body doesn't react to the hormones does not mean everyone else's doesn't. It's like an allergy some people have zero response and some are totally affected.

Sorry to burst that bubble. But I know when I am right & would never post about it if I was not. React to the video on that page.

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issues/dairy.php

or for those who believe the dairy industry
    http://www.dairy.edu.au/discoverdairy/Teachers/From-Farm-to-Plate-Module/How-Cows-Make-Milk.aspx
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I. Love. Birth. Control. 3 day periods, no PMS? Please and thank you!

i dont take birth control, never have... and my periods have always been 2-3 days long...
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

My last response was supposed to quote this.

i only have 3 day periods and no cramping also... i love dairy!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nuts, broccoli, and fish are miracle foods on your period. Your body uses up a lot of nutrients preparing the womb and flushes them out over the course of your period. If you put them back right away, you feel way less tired, cranky, moody...
  • MsKriss281
    MsKriss281 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I. Love. Birth. Control. 3 day periods, no PMS? Please and thank you!

OMG! I wish. I was that way before Birth Control, 3 day periods no PMS, it was AMAZING! With birth control 7-10 days of crampy, cranky, and OMGosh the cravings, really I could eat the paint chips off the wall. I'm like a never ending black hole when it comes to TOM. I never get full. I HATE IT! :explode:

Edited to include the disclaimer that I am not a total glutton for punishment. I am on the BC to help my PCOS and cysts because if I was only on it for BC reasons I would toss it out the window and just not worry about it. :grumble: