Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    potatoes in any form... way to much starch.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy

Why is almond milk "bad"?
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Snopes can be a wealth of helpful information.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

I agree that it can be a wealth of information ~ when correct. This is also from snopes:

"Baby carrots are not now made from larger imperfect carrots.........The carrots now used to make "baby cut carrots" have been specifcally bred and contain more sugar than their standard sized because this extra sweetness appeals more to children....."

Yes I was my veggies, not in chlorine though ~ which is a practice that is outlawed in several countries. Just because something is allowed here doesn't mean its a healthy thing ~ look at HFCS.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Grains/legumes/dairy

Most have Carrageenan
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

Carrots myth is not quite true. So eat up your carrots! http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/baby_carrots.htm

There actually is truth to it. But to each their own. I do eat carrots, just not baby carrots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I read on like this internet pop up thing that it's like one of 5 foods never to like buy or eat again.

Totally...bananas totally makin' everyone ****in' fat...

1233400426_guy%20falls%20of%20chair.gif

This guy ^^^^ too many friggin' bananas dude.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Grains, Dairy, and Legumes
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yogurt. Too much sugar in most brands.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Do "imperfect" carrots have more calories than the perfect carrots? Or less??
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

OK now why are these bad? We sure have some paranoid eaters here. Jeez.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Snopes can be a wealth of helpful information.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/carrots.asp

Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

I agree that it can be a wealth of information ~ when correct. This is also from snopes:

"Baby carrots are not now made from larger imperfect carrots.........The carrots now used to make "baby cut carrots" have been specifcally bred and contain more sugar than their standard sized because this extra sweetness appeals more to children....."

Yes I was my veggies, not in chlorine though ~ which is a practice that is outlawed in several countries. Just because something is allowed here doesn't mean its a healthy thing ~ look at HFCS.

Sorry, I don't believe HFCS is evil either. Too much of any sweetener can be bad for you, but HFCS alone is not the devil.

Everything you eat has been "bred" in one way or another. Meats, plants, whatever. All genetically manipulated to suit our needs, be it size, flavor, or weather hardiness. One of my favorites, the Honeycrisp apple, was "bred" by the University of Minnesota.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good article about almond milk.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
    Grains/legumes/dairy

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    whole grains for me.

almond milk is, unfortunately, not as great as we all think.

COCONUT MILK TO THE RESCUE! :P
  • taelardinois
    taelardinois Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Soy, granola, dried fruit...
  • drchimpanzee
    Options
    Good article about almond milk.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
    Grains/legumes/dairy

LOL I will take my chances. Food kooks are my pet peeve. This is bad for you. That is bad for you. This food has .000002% of a DANGEROUS chemical not proven to actually do anything but let's be paranoid about it. Gluten blah blah blah.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

OK now why are these bad? We sure have some paranoid eaters here. Jeez.

Anti nutrients, toxins and dairy is for baby mammals only
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Also I found out foods that contain chemicals are bad :/

Carbon is a chemical. So is H2O...
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Grow your own food, slaughter your own animals, sleep easier at night, the end.
    Personally I love the taste of dirt and earthworms on my fresh-from-the-garden carrots. Seriously though, I don't rinse off all the dirt. Makes me feel all cave woman like.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any of the replies. I just want more threads about food in my list.

So....um, let's see. Healthy foods not so healthy? Um. I got nothing :flowerforyou:

Have a nice day.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

You have presumably swum in a public bath/leisure centre pool though?