Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• hockeymomrw
    hockeymomrw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy

What's bad about almond milk? I drink it every day and thought it was good. I drink the unsweetened stuff.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk:(
    Grains/legumes/dairy

Why is almond milk "bad"?
    Most have Carrageenan

What's wrong with Carrageenan? It's a natural extract. :huh:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I don't do lactose, and I have currently cut out grains as well. Does that make me orthorexic or paranoid?

Cutting them doesn't. But the reason you cut them might.

because my voice works better when i dont ingest dairy and i experience less inflammation and have more energy when i don't eat grains?

orthorexic?

It doesn't sounds like it. Unless you believe they are bad for everyone based on your symptoms.

I mean... Mark Sisson and the paleo community make some very, very valid points. and as I believe in holistic medicine, that community generally tends to feel the same way about dairy and wheat in particular.

However, don't confuse my feelings with orthorexia, which is an "irrational fear of food or food groups"

I'm not afraid of food, I simply think there are some foods that we would be better off if we cut back on. Simple as that.

We? Okay, I'm rethinking my answer. I'm no mental health professional, but I'm pretty sure the "paleo" ideology would qualify as orthorexic.

eating the way we evolved to eat is orthorexic??
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

Restaurants use bleach or a similar based sanitizer to clean the plates, glasses, and silverware you use to consume your food by law . No matter what these chemicals will leave a tiny residue behind. food tends to be porous and wet in one form or another which would separate this residue from the plate and add it to your food. Stop living in a fantasy world.
  • djfriedman81
    Options

Implying we stopped evolving at paleolithic times is mildly amusing to me
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    What? Anthro degree here. We didn't evolve to eat a particular way--we are generalists specifically so we can adapt to any environment we wander into. That's why we have incisors for cutting meat and molars for grinding grain. And big brains so we can figure out how to extract nutrition from just about anything we find.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We? Okay, I'm rethinking my answer. I'm no mental health professional, but I'm pretty sure the "paleo" ideology would qualify as orthorexic.

No. Eating has nothing to do with orthorexia. It's a mental disorder involving how you think about food.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

10,000 years ago is a blink of an eye in terms of how long humans have been on the planet. in the last 10,000 years, no, we haven't evolved all that much - at least not biologically. Sure science and thinking have grown in leaps and bounds, but physiologically we are almost identical to pre-agriculture humans.
  • djfriedman81
    Options

10,000 years ago is a blink of an eye in terms of how long humans have been on the planet. in the last 10,000 years, no, we haven't evolved all that much - at least not biologically. Sure science and thinking have grown in leaps and bounds, but physiologically we are almost identical to pre-agriculture humans.

Except we have the tools necesary to properly cook certain foods, mill others, and an agrarian society is the primary reason for community living and modern civilization. Otherwise we would just be nomads and wanderers trying to go find and kill our next meal
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    What is the one food that you used to think was a healthy choice that you have since learned otherwise?

For me its the Baby Carrots. Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

Let's just point out the elephant in the room shall we? Baby carrots are bad for you, says the woman holding a Dairy Queen Blizzard cup. Have you ever looked into how the ice cream and candy is made that created your blizzard?!?!!?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

You have presumably swum in a public bath/leisure centre pool though?

That's one thing I don't do. I prefer rivers. Pools often use *way* too much chlorine. Give me mud any day! :wink:
  • rlinaresv
    rlinaresv Posts: 108
    Options
    OMG, just a simple question and we went all way back to ancient times. As somebody mentioned "pretty interesting"
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Peanut butter. There's something about how it doesn't really have a lot of protein compared to some other lower-fat foods.

I don't like peanut butter really, either, so it doesn't much matter to me.

When did peanut butter become low fat? I missed the news story.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Except we have the tools necesary to properly cook certain foods, mill others, and an agrarian society is the primary reason for community living and modern civilization. Otherwise we would just be nomads and wanderers trying to go find and kill our next meal

absolutely - but just because we have the tools to do it, doesn't mean our organs have caught up. especially since we've genetically altered wheat in the last 50 years or so. It'll take thousands of years for our physiology to adapt to it, and by then i'm sure there will be something else!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    What? Anthro degree here. We didn't evolve to eat a particular way--we are generalists specifically so we can adapt to any environment we wander into. That's why we have incisors for cutting meat and molars for grinding grain. And big brains so we can figure out how to extract nutrition from just about anything we find.

She's wearing a beret soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...seems legit to me :drinker:
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen, I thought white rice was good for you. My mindset was 1. Bland food has to be healthier. 2. Fat makes you fat so I just counted fat, not calories. 3. Asians eat rice, right? And they are skinny.

God, I was so stupid. Also, hungry all the time and still chubby as all get out. But it was the 90's and blah blah blah.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

Restaurants use bleach or a similar based sanitizer to clean the plates, glasses, and silverware you use to consume your food by law . No matter what these chemicals will leave a tiny residue behind. food tends to be porous and wet in one form or another which would separate this residue from the plate and add it to your food. Stop living in a fantasy world.

At least on glasses they will tend to use Sodium Percarbonate. This is a mixture of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The sodium carbonate is for cleaning and the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) provides the sanitization.

Bleach doesn't get glassware "beer clean"
  • bugbog
    bugbog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree healthy food is fruit no calories baby carrots,sprouts,bananas,apples ,cereal instead of toast in morning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

absolutely - but just because we have the tools to do it, doesn't mean our organs have caught up. especially since we've genetically altered wheat in the last 50 years or so. It'll take thousands of years for our physiology to adapt to it, and by then i'm sure there will be something else!

What makes you think our organs need to catch up? Why do you believe that the organs of the paleo man couldn't process grains?
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that hasn't been washed in the tears of at least 7 pure virgins.