Health food not so healthy???

Options

Replies

• moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. There's something about how it doesn't really have a lot of protein compared to some other lower-fat foods.

I don't like peanut butter really, either, so it doesn't much matter to me.

When did peanut butter become low fat? I missed the news story.

no you just misread her post. Other lowER fat foods have more protein is what she is saying.
  • bugbog
    bugbog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My children when small never eat sweets only chocolate.I like chocolate but do try and avoid now exept a small treat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen, I thought white rice was good for you. My mindset was 1. Bland food has to be healthier. 2. Fat makes you fat so I just counted fat, not calories. 3. Asians eat rice, right? And they are skinny.

God, I was so stupid. Also, hungry all the time and still chubby as all get out. But it was the 90's and blah blah blah.

What's wrong with rice? And my rice isn't bland. I love my rice :D I order Nishiki :D
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

Restaurants use bleach or a similar based sanitizer to clean the plates, glasses, and silverware you use to consume your food by law . No matter what these chemicals will leave a tiny residue behind. food tends to be porous and wet in one form or another which would separate this residue from the plate and add it to your food. Stop living in a fantasy world.

At least on glasses they will tend to use Sodium Percarbonate. This is a mixture of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The sodium carbonate is for cleaning and the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) provides the sanitization.

Bleach doesn't get glassware "beer clean"

I worked in the biz for about 10 years including 5 major chains. I can safely say it all goes through the same dishwasher and no one is changing the chemicals in between
  • bugbog
    bugbog Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is better so is sweet potato but hate both.so i do not diet just eat healthy.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ... Learning they are doused in chlorine and "bred" to be little ~ it grosses me out enough to not eat them anymore. What's your food?

Pretty sure just about ALL vegetables and fruits are "bred" (cultivated) to be the way they are NOW. They didn't exist in their current format in nature a million years ago. Everything has had something done to it to "make it better" and "improved" in some way. Unless maybe you're digging native root crops from some indigenous peoples jungle...

ETA: Forgot to add MY not-healthy "health" foods: ALL grains (whole or not), beans, dairy, fruit juice, soymilk (all soy), agave.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I read on like this internet pop up thing that it's like one of 5 foods never to like buy or eat again.
    :laugh:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots are cut from larger "imperfect" carrots. They are not 'bred". They are rinsed in a chlorine solution, then rinsed again with clean water. Do you not wash your veggies before eating them?

Not in bleach, I don't!

Restaurants use bleach or a similar based sanitizer to clean the plates, glasses, and silverware you use to consume your food by law . No matter what these chemicals will leave a tiny residue behind. food tends to be porous and wet in one form or another which would separate this residue from the plate and add it to your food. Stop living in a fantasy world.

At least on glasses they will tend to use Sodium Percarbonate. This is a mixture of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The sodium carbonate is for cleaning and the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) provides the sanitization.

I worked in the biz for about 10 years including 5 major chains. I can safely say it all goes through the same dishwasher and no one is changing the chemicals in between

I bartend a bit. My experience anyway is; Kitchen washes the dishes, bar handles the glassware. We use b-brite on the glassware.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    eating the way we evolved to eat is orthorexic??

Implying we stopped evolving at paleolithic times is mildly amusing to me

10,000 years ago is a blink of an eye in terms of how long humans have been on the planet. in the last 10,000 years, no, we haven't evolved all that much - at least not biologically. Sure science and thinking have grown in leaps and bounds, but physiologically we are almost identical to pre-agriculture humans.

Except we have the tools necesary to properly cook certain foods, mill others, and an agrarian society is the primary reason for community living and modern civilization. Otherwise we would just be nomads and wanderers trying to go find and kill our next meal

absolutely - but just because we have the tools to do it, doesn't mean our organs have caught up. especially since we've genetically altered wheat in the last 50 years or so. It'll take thousands of years for our physiology to adapt to it, and by then i'm sure there will be something else!

Additonally the palolithic era spanned from what most experts agree was over 2.6 million years ago to about 10,000 years ago. depending on the region one lived in the proportion of grains, meat, fish, and tubers determined the diet.

As per wikipedia
    "Large-seeded legumes were part of the human diet long before the Neolithic agricultural revolution, as evident from archaeobotanical finds from the Mousterian layers of Kebara Cave, in Israel. Moreover, recent evidence indicates that humans processed and consumed wild cereal grains as far back as 23,000 years ago in the Upper Paleolithic"

I do not disagree with your theories on GMO but to say our body has not adapted to eating grains and legumes is incorrect. Whether we can process the modifications to those, or to the meats, fish and poultry we eat is another story. Ciliac, peanut allergies, and many of the other food allergies are mostly a 21st century problem which may or may not be caused by modified or engeneered foods, atmospheric toxins, vaccines, or even additional human evolution.
    You can do what you want to do, eat what you want but to imply that we are not adapted to eat such things and that we should only eat like we did some 2.6-10,000 years ago is incorrect. Based upon that you probably should gorge yourself for 1 day on a large animal and then starve for the next week looking for your next meal.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    whole grains for me.

almond milk is, unfortunately, not as great as we all think.

COCONUT MILK TO THE RESCUE! :P

Coconut Milk is pretty great, but you can make your own Almond Milk. Soak almonds over night, peel off the skins, and blend with water, voila!! almond milk!!

If any of you are on Pinterest there are a ton a pins for recipes, but it is really that simple :)

I do either almond of coconut milk in my veg smoothies, I think it helps!

And these things below are healthy for normal people, but I have some medical conditions that force me to limit these things, as much as I may love them!!

Most fruit
    Potatoes
    Corn
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I read on like this internet pop up thing that it's like one of 5 foods never to like buy or eat again.
    :laugh:

More for me and my dog :D
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

I bartend a bit. My experience anyway is; Kitchen washes the dishes, bar handles the glassware. We use b-brite on the glassware.

Ours did that during hours as well but at the end of the night they were racked and run then again in the AM then sent back to the bar
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    whole grains for me.

almond milk is, unfortunately, not as great as we all think.

COCONUT MILK TO THE RESCUE! :P

Coconut Milk is pretty great, but you can make your own Almond Milk. Soak almonds over night, peel off the skins, and blend with water, voila!! almond milk!!

If any of you are on Pinterest there are a ton a pins for recipes, but it is really that simple :)

I do either almond of coconut milk in my veg smoothies, I think it helps!

And these things below are healthy for normal people, but I have some medical conditions that force me to limit these things, as much as I may love them!!

Most fruit
    Potatoes
    Corn

Unless it came out of a mammals junk, it's not milk, stop lying to yourself
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh and protein bars. Many have as much sugar as a candy bar.

so much this.

That banana you ate? Has as much sugar as a Snickers

Great! Now I am craving a Snickers marathon protein bar! :grumble:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Not in bleach, I don't!

Ours did that during hours as well but at the end of the night they were racked and run then again in the AM then sent back to the bar

Either way. Every piece of crockery, glassware, and flatware has been given a caustic bath, be it in an acid (bleach) or a base (TSP or Sodium Percarbonate)
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Krill and plankton. Have you ever seen a skinny whale?

You win the internet!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options

What's wrong with rice? And my rice isn't bland. I love my rice :D I order Nishiki :D

A cup is 200 kcal and very unsatisfying. Obviously, as a 14 year old, I basically would douse it in hot sauce and eat like a2 cups of it. I ate primarily carbs because I was eating "low fat" and continued to gain weight throughout HS. Also, being hungry, I picked up a lot of junk... skipping "lunch" but eating a LIttle Debbie Star Crunch.

Different strokes, but now I LOVE eating high fat, high protein, with lots of veg. If I'm going to have 200 calories of what amounts to being sugar, I'll take some B&J frozen Greek yogurt!
  • ginabinainky
    ginabinainky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    According to snopes baby cut carrots are young carrots, while baby cut carrots are the more processed, bleached, etc.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    eating the way we evolved to eat is orthorexic??

Implying we stopped evolving at paleolithic times is mildly amusing to me

10,000 years ago is a blink of an eye in terms of how long humans have been on the planet. in the last 10,000 years, no, we haven't evolved all that much - at least not biologically. Sure science and thinking have grown in leaps and bounds, but physiologically we are almost identical to pre-agriculture humans.

Except we have the tools necesary to properly cook certain foods, mill others, and an agrarian society is the primary reason for community living and modern civilization. Otherwise we would just be nomads and wanderers trying to go find and kill our next meal

absolutely - but just because we have the tools to do it, doesn't mean our organs have caught up. especially since we've genetically altered wheat in the last 50 years or so. It'll take thousands of years for our physiology to adapt to it, and by then i'm sure there will be something else!

What makes you think our organs need to catch up? Why do you believe that the organs of the paleo man couldn't process grains?

why would a paleolithic man's organs be able to digest something he didn't eat? there's no logic there. Grains are small, hard-shelled, and generally indigestible by humans in their raw state! They'll come right back out the other side completely intact. You think the paleo men were baking bread?

paleolithic man didn't farm. they didn't put all the wheat in a row so they could eat a bunch of it at once. They ate what they found, and what gave them the most bang for their buck. That means fruits and veggies and high-fat meat. They did not eat grains, so their organs never needed to adapt to be able to do so. In the last 10,000 years we've gotten better at it, but then in the mid 1900s we completely revamped the wheat grain, and now our bodies have to adjust along with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    I was shocked about Poptarts and Ice Cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition