Anyone else hate to be called "ma'am"?

Options

Replies

• sbussert
    sbussert Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I totally hate it... cause.... well, I'm a guy... :)
  • DottieNewton
    DottieNewton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a society that we were taught to call people "ma'am and sir" IT IS A TITLE OF RESPECT. has NOTHING to do with age. Sorry if I offend anyone by using that title it is inbred. YES, I am older, but I have been calling people that all my life.. "NO Offense intended."
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't mind ma'am because I think it has alot to do with your culture (southerners like it, for example). I am not senstive about my age so I think that helps...you are always an "old fogie" to SOMEONE.

What I HATE though is "honey" or "sweetie" or any other term of endearment. I know it is a cultural thing too but I just feel so...violated? when someone I don't know refers to me in a familiar, intimate way like that. :sick:

DON'T CALL ME YOUR HONEY WOMAN!! :mad:

Ha!

I am a southern transplant (originally a New Englander, been in the south 5 years now) and I get called ma'am, honey, sister, love, sweetie, you name it! It used to irk me and now I love it. We have taught our kids to say Sir and Ma'am as a sign of respect.
  • farrier_chick
    farrier_chick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    haha! I am a female soldier non-commissioned (Canadian equivalent to enlisted) and I chuckle every time someone calls me Ma'am because that is how you address a female officer (which I am not!). We usually say "Don't call me Ma'am, I work for a living!!" LOL

It is a sign of respect, and I do refer to those (especially senior citizens) as Sir or Ma'am. A title which I think they deserve. :)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I use it as an insult to make a woman feel she looks older.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Idk- I think it sounds funny, but it sure sounds more adult than "Miss." Miss makes me feel like I'm in high school.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I work in a cafe and use sir and madam a lot, especially to the "older" men and women. I tend not to use them at all with the "younger" customers now that I think about it. Maybe I should reconsider...?

And I really don't like being called "sir" when I go into a shop, especially by the men who are clearly older than me - not in a bad way of course - but older in that they have 10x more life experience than me.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It turns me on. Southern boys turn me on. My boyfriend hit on me the first time by asking me, "Ma'am, does this accent make me sound stupid?" I said, "Nope! Makes you sound perfect!" :love:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I think the only people referred to as "ma'am" in the UK are royal women :laugh:
  • AncientLullaby_
    Options
    I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to be called ma'am
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This thread is comical.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I do not like to be called ma'am. I realize that it's intended to be respectful but it makes me feel like I'm middle aged (I'm only 28). I'd rather be called "Ms"

Any ladies feel the same way?

That's the way we do it in SE Texas. I moved here from WI when I was 10 years old and it was the hardest thing to learn! Don't care how old a female is, she is ma'am, darlin', hun, or little lady. Boys are sir or young sir. Period. And don't say "yeah" or "nah" in response to a question either--it's yes or no, and your choice whether to add ma'am or sir at the end. LOL
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    Im 32 years old.. i was raised just south of chicago so not in the south. But my mother taught me respect. I spent 4 years in military high school 6 years in the us navy. It was required.. once again for respect.. i use ma'am and sir everyday to whom ever i encounter. I coach tball and little league. I call my players ma'am and sir they love it and in return do the same.. parents have thanked me for this.. because they continue it at home and school.. i have a 4 year old daughter.. she is the exact same way at 4. Yes ma'am no ma'am.. never goes with out please thank you and your welcome.. if you dont like it i am sorry.. its just a word. Let it slide.. go one about your day and be glad i didnt call you a dumb b????.. would you rather that instead
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    It is a sign of respect! Yes.
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've raised both my boys to use "sir" or "ma'am" and when someone tells them not to, they will simply ask what he/she would rather be referred to. The use of "sir" or "ma'am" is a simple sign of respect and I'm unsure why people are offended by it.

Would you rather they didn't hold that door for you and let it slam in your face? Would you rather they just walk away when you drop something, instead of simply bending down and retrieving it for you? Would you rather they ignored you and called you a##hole like every other teen?

*smh*

I think the uncomfortable feeling perhaps comes from a lessened sense of self. There has to be a psychological reason underlying the discomfort, after all, who DOESN'T want to be treated respectfully? Or better, doesn't think they DESERVE to be treated respectfully and is upset by a simple courtesy?

Something to think about.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate it. if i am married with kids then ok but um i'm only 25 i'm not a ****ing maam! miss or ms. works for me. and madam? for real? I am not the head of a brothel
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind it.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

Any ladies feel the same way?

Absolutely. I hate it with a passion :explode:
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
    I've raised both my boys to use "sir" or "ma'am" and when someone tells them not to, they will simply ask what he/she would rather be referred to. The use of "sir" or "ma'am" is a simple sign of respect and I'm unsure why people are offended by it.

Would you rather they didn't hold that door for you and let it slam in your face? Would you rather they just walk away when you drop something, instead of simply bending down and retrieving it for you? Would you rather they ignored you and called you a##hole like every other teen?

*smh*

I think the uncomfortable feeling perhaps comes from a lessened sense of self. There has to be a psychological reason underlying the discomfort, after all, who DOESN'T want to be treated respectfully? Or better, doesn't think they DESERVE to be treated respectfully and is upset by a simple courtesy?

Something to think about.
    preach to em sister. All solid points.. the problem i see. The generation of 25 and below. Have no respect for anyone any way. The world has truely gone to ****. I see it everyday.. the pure rudeness and self entitlement.. they really lack respect for the elderly.. i over heard a teen tell an old man to get the fudge out of the way with his slow *kitten*. I lit into that kids *kitten* so fast he didnt know what to think. I tell the story as i kindly asked him to appologize where my mother says i almost had him in tears apologizing.. idk remember
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I say yes sir and yes ma'am purely out of respect and not due to anyone's age. It does not mean they think you are old if that adress you with respect.