Spaghetti squash= shredded yuck

Options

Replies

• tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is NOT a pasta replacement. It's a veggie - but you can put the same things on it as you would a pasta. Marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, olive oil, parm cheese, garlic....

DON'T expect it to be pasta and you might accept it for all it's yummy glory!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me get squash to taste good! I tried different recipes but they all tasted yuck!

I agree... I don't think it tastes THAT BAD, but its just bland - I've tried garlic, salt and pepper but that's still not enough.
    Does anyone have a good suggestions that doesn't involve adding heavy creamy sauces???

mushroom sauce, tomato based sauce, vinaigrette, olive oil & garlic (and/or parmesan), beans,
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    sounds like you over cooked it...I prefer al dente style. Cook it a little less and see if you like it better.

i agree. I even like summer squash "spaghetti" that's served raw. it's very "noodly" in my opinion. we eat it all summer long!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Spaghetti Squash Pizza Bake:

Cook & shred spag. squash. and brown some ground turkey/beef/chicken.

Put a layer of tomato sauce in a baking dish, put down a layer of spag. squash, a layer of meat, layer of cheese, another layer of tomato sauce, another layer of spag. squash, another layer of meat, and top with cheese and some sauce so the cheese doesnt dry out. I then put a layer of chopped up turkey pepperoni over the whole top, cover with foil, bake and enjoy the awesomeness.

[Don't have the recipe with me right now, I'm not sure of the temps & cooking times. I'm sure you could find it if you do a little Googleing].
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    This is a casserole that I make. You have to make sure the squash is cooked to the point that it flakes very easily from the skin. I usually bake mine for 45-50 minutes at 350, or microwave for 16 to 20, depending on the size of the squash.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/21924939

You can vary it by taking out the meat or adding a different meat as well as adding other vegetables like red bell peppers, broccoli - anything you like. There is a lot of sodium due to the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. You can substitute low sodium varieties or use fresh tomatoes and add your own seasoning if socium is something you watch. I hope you enjoy it!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's squash, not pasta, of course it's shredded yuck. Just because it mildly resembles spaghetti doesn't means it's actually pasta!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ive loved it since i was a kid - my nana always baked it and then topped with some butter and lemon pepper, or parmesan cheese then shredded it.
    i never understood subbing it for pasta - i think thats where people get disappointed with it. it always said "oh instead of pasta use spaghetti squash, youll never miss the pasta" and its not even close to being the same. it sucks as a pasta substitute lol just enjoy it as the veggie that it is.
    it does absorb a lot of flavor, so sometimes when i make it i season it very liberally before i put it in the oven. my fav is still lemon pepper or salad supreme.
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I made it in a chicken veggie stir fry... while you microwave the squash, sautee red onions, garlic, add cubed chicken breasts in olive oil, salt & pepper to taste till chicken is cooked. Transfer this to a bowl then add a bit more oil to pan and stir fry/sautee broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, peppers, any veg you like with salt &pepper to your taste. When the veggies are getting the way you like them toss chicken mixture and spaghetti squash that has been scraped out in to pan and toss it all together. Right at the end I add a little fresh basil and we use parm cheese at the table--delish!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    When I first tried it and expected it to taste and feel like pasta I hated it. Now I know the texture is different and I'm really learning to enjoy the flavor and the extra texture. In fact, now when I eat pasta I undercook it a bit so it has that extra bite to it that I'm used to with the spaghetti squash.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My favourite ways to eat spaghetti squash:

1) With Parmesan & lots of pepper and chili flakes

2) With sauteed Italian turkey sausage, greens, garlic and parmesan <----THIS IS SOOOOOOOO GOOOD!
  • lbanse1975
    Options
    I absolutely agree! Also, since my husband and I only use homemade sauce, we eat this type of dish more for the sauce than the vehicle.

I can't wait to try all these other ways, though!

(I forgot to quote the post I was replying to! This is in reply to how many calories is saved. For me, it's carbs rather than calories, though)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I personally like it! But the texture has to be right. I don't like it too soft, though. I like a little bite to it. A little salt, pepper and rosemary.... a few minutes in the oven and yum!
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I tried. I couldn't get past the texture. My husband covered it in marinara and hot sauce and ate it while I cooked pasta. Can anyone give me a recipe that makes this a palatable food?

I made the recipe from the Karma Chow cookbook the other day, not bad! Really great sauce!!
  • AmandaE0823
    Options
    I'm not big on spaghetti squash with pasta sauce but I do make a spaghetti squash salad. I use spaghetti squash, roma tomatoes, green onions, feta cheese, basil, lemon juice, and sometimes I will add garlic. I cook the squash in the microwave. Stab it a few times and cook it 6 minutes per pound. If it cooks too long it gets too mushy for me.
  • mvlevy
    mvlevy Posts: 3
    Options
    I wasn't crazy about it at first, but, like with most healthy food, it tends to grow on you and now I am crazy about it. Its not about sacrificing flavor for health, but adding heatlh to your diet. Try adding some grated parmesan cheese and seasoned grilled chicken. I also refer to skinnytaste.com for recipes. Gina is great. If this is something you want to keep in your diet, find ways to make it work for you.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Add some honey, raisins and cinnamon to it. If you treat it like pasta, you will be disappointed.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This recipe is delicious! My husband and I both love it.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I mix it with regular pasta to bulk up the serving size. I also toss it with olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese and oregano.

I'd never even considered this. I'm going to try it since I love pasta, but can't believe the calories included in a "normal" serving size of spaghetti noodles.
  • Apyl32
    Apyl32 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. I mostly cook mine by steaming it, melt some butter into it and parm cheese on top.
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. My husband would not eat it either. It didn't really taste like anything, it was the texture that I did not like. The Crunch!

I have been old to cook it longer.