LOL
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No.
  • rlchobat
    rlchobat Posts: 6
    Options
    I tasted garden burgers one day when I was really really young at a sams club taste test and I thought they were delicious. I don't know if I would feel the same today but what the heck...why not give it a try!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

:laugh:

And I am quite certain that my 99% lean ground turkey doesn't contain too much grease or fat.

It did used to have feet, though...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

^ Because of that.

I think my chicken breast has fewer ingredients.

your chicken only lists one ingredient, but it is not listed what your chicken ate, which is probably this ^^

i'm not hatin' on meat eaters, i'm just sayin'.

also, better than boxed patties, black bean, rice & mushroom burgers are so easy to make from scratch! why not bring a dozen to your next cookout?

Because I put the veggies ON my burger. Not IN them.

Also, if we're going by what the raw ingredients were fed whilst alive, how about how those sunflowers or corn/soy plants were farmed? You don't know where those veggies/oils/etc. came from.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Are you even aware how much processing (& GE/GMO foods) are in the meatless morning star farms veggie burgers? YUCK!

Give me my organic/humanely raised local chicken & beef any day over the nasty chemical & GMO laden fake meats.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Why is GMO food worse than the cross-bred grains that we have eaten for thousands of years?
  • junkintrunk5
    junkintrunk5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We hunt our own meat..........Venison and Elk is where it's at!!!! Whole foods are best:) Could never give up meat!!!!!!
  • KayFi89
    KayFi89 Posts: 39
    Options
    On the rare occasions I do make Burgers I use the leanest meat at the store. It doesn't taste as good as fatty meat but it tastes better than boca Burgers. I will never give up my ground meat
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A lot of "meat replacers" are full of GMOs and un-natural ingredients to try and make them taste better. That's why I don't eat anything by Boca or Morningstar. Unless they are non-GMO project verified.

^^This.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I hate to contribute to the resurrection of this thread, but--
    Why is GMO food worse than the cross-bred grains that we have eaten for thousands of years?
    We don't know for sure yet, but there have been some studies that have linked GMO food to sterility in various animals.
  • doorki
    Options
    I hate to contribute to the resurrection of this thread, but--
    We don't know for sure yet, but there have been some studies that have linked GMO food to sterility in various animals.

You mean the Russian study with the hamsters and GMO soy?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I do make Burgers I use the leanest meat at the store. It doesn't taste as good as fatty meat but it tastes better than boca Burgers. I will never give up my ground meat

Why the leanest? (disclosure, I am a professional chef) First, some sat fat is healthy. 2nd, most of the fat renders off if you are grilling them but adds flavor and moisture in the process. For good tasting grilled burgers I wouln't go less that 80/20.
  • Tulipbirdy
    Options
    im a vegatarian and not because of some stupid trend or so, and im not feeling inferior because of my eating habits. i just hate the taste of meat and i dont wanna eat it. simple
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    That's one. I guess there have been others, or at least anecdotal reports.

It sounds as if you have something to say on the topic and are posing questions to get to a 'gotcha' point. I'm not really looking for debate, but maybe someone else is.

Your original question was 'Why is GMO food worse than the cross-bred grains that we have eaten for thousands of years?' and to that I answered, "We don't know for sure yet," which is pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

Take care. :)
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    im a vegatarian and not because of some stupid trend or so, and im not feeling inferior because of my eating habits. i just hate the taste of meat and i dont wanna eat it. simple

Absolutely noting wrong with that. :flowerforyou:

I am a meat eater and I have tried meat substitutes. I have personally found that they do not taste as good to me. So meat it is.
  • jeffmuchow
    Options

There is some evidence that the increased incidence of fertility problems in the US is linked to consumption of GMO 'Round-up ready' crops. A long term study has just been initiated at one of the eastern universities (can't remember which one at the moment) but it will be years before we know for certain if there is correlation AND causation.

In the meantime, I'll eat non-GMOs...
  • jeffmuchow
    Options
    My son watched the "Forks Over Knives" documentary last year and converted to vegetarian. I have not watched it but based on my own reading, we have just instituted 'Meatless Monday' - if for no other reason than another excuse for us to experiment in the kitchen. :smile:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/
  • doorki
    Options
    That's one. I guess there have been others, or at least anecdotal reports.

It sounds as if you have something to say on the topic and are posing questions to get to a 'gotcha' point. I'm not really looking for debate, but maybe someone else is.

Your original question was 'Why is GMO food worse than the cross-bred grains that we have eaten for thousands of years?' and to that I answered, "We don't know for sure yet," which is pretty much all I have to say on the topic.

Take care. :)

I wasn't baiting at all. I was trying to find out information by asking questions. Then when I found one that I thought you were talking about, I asked you if it was.

Have a good one!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Bloody steaks are necessary to life.

Simple as that.

But bless OP for sharing!