Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I wasn't baiting at all. I was trying to find out information by asking questions. Then when I found one that I thought you were talking about, I asked you if it was.

Have a good one!
    My apologies for misreading you. I seem to have been attracting a touch of the crazy lately, and I may be a little paranoid. :)
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Boca Ingredients:
    WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO (COLOR), VITAMIN A PALMITATE), WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN OIL, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF METHYLCELLULOSE, HYDROLYZED CORN PROTEIN, WHEAT GLUTEN AND SOY PROTEIN, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, CHEESE POWDER (CHEDDAR CHEESE (MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), CREAM, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID), DRIED ONIONS, YEAST EXTRACT, NATURAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), SESAME OIL, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, BROWNED IN CORN OIL

Burger ingredients:
    Beef (or turkey or chicken)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

I eat both. Why always substitute? Why not substitute sometimes and eat meat other times? Sometimes I think grease is delicious and sometimes I crave a veggie corn dog.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    its just too artificial for me; im vegetarian and you can make easy black bean burgers.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    because i prefer my foods to not be processed to a level that quite frankly is a little creepy.

ingredients in morning star chick'n nuggets.
    TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, WHEAT GLUTEN, WATER FOR HYDRATION), WATER, ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, CORN OIL, CORNSTARCH, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF WHEAT STARCH, SALT, METHYLCELLULOSE, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, DEXTROSE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS FROM NON-MEAT SOURCES, SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, DISODIUM INOSINATE, SOYBEAN OIL, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, ONION, PAPRIKA, DRIED YEAST, INULIN FROM CHICORY ROOT, CARAMEL COLOR, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, XANTHAN GUM, SODIUM ALGINATE, SPICES, YELLOW CORN FLOUR, PAPRIKA EXTRACT FOR COLOR, ANNATTO EXTRACT FOR COLOR, BAKING SODA, GARLIC, TOMATO POWDER, CELERY EXTRACT, WHEAT FIBER, LACTIC ACID, SAFFLOWER OIL, BARLEY EXTRACT, CITRIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, EGG WHITES, NONFAT DRY MILK, SUCCINIC ACID, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, IRON (FERROUS SULFATE), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), VITAMIN B12.

ingredients in chicken
    CHICKEN (and yes i do know where my meat comes from and what it ate)
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for the last four years and I didn't eat morning star ANYTHING (thats not entirely true, once in a blue moon I'd have their sausage patties. They taste better to me, and don't give me heart burn). Morning Star is gross. And so processed, plus soy is really not good for you. I never liked the idea of a veggie patty, just give me extra veggies. I can get my protein from somewhere else.

I recently started to eat meat again, maybe once a week. I do agree with having at least one day a week of meat free, but I won't push that on anyone who doesn't believe in that.

And no, when I was a vegetarian, I never announced it to anyone. The only time I would say anything was if they invited me to dinner and asked if I had any dietary needs. Other than that, people who've known me for years didn't know I was a vegetarian. Not ALL vegetarians shove it down others throats, just saying.
  • iysys
    Options
    i never understood the fake meat thing. if you don't want to eat dead animals don't eat dead animals fine by me...it does seem odd to replace them with fake dead animals.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasions I do make Burgers I use the leanest meat at the store. It doesn't taste as good as fatty meat but it tastes better than boca Burgers. I will never give up my ground meat

Why the leanest? (disclosure, I am a professional chef) First, some sat fat is healthy. 2nd, most of the fat renders off if you are grilling them but adds flavor and moisture in the process. For good tasting grilled burgers I wouln't go less that 80/20.

I can't speak from the original poster, but I use the leanest meat because I think fatty meat is absolutely disgusting. You couldn't pay me to eat fatty meat. I cut as much as I possibly can off. Even some lean ground meats gross me out lol. I just get my fats in other ways like nuts and oils.
  • jeffmuchow
    Options
    because i prefer my foods to not be processed to a level that quite frankly is a little creepy.

ingredients in morning star chick'n nuggets. [deleted list for clarity - Jeff]

ingredients in chicken

This is true but not all chicken is equal. It sounds like you know the source of your chicken and how it was raised and butchered but you are in the minority. How meat is raised and handled after slaughter has a BIG impact on the relative healthiness of the meat. If anyone is not sure why it matters, I suggest watching the documentary Food, Inc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.
  • iysys
    Options

ingredients in morning star chick'n nuggets. [deleted list for clarity - Jeff]

ingredients in chicken

This is true but not all chicken is equal. It sounds like you know the source of your chicken and how it was raised and butchered but you are in the minority. How meat is raised and handled after slaughter has a BIG impact on the relative healthiness of the meat. If anyone is not sure why it matters, I suggest watching the documentary Food, Inc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food,_Inc.

completely agree. i am very lucky to know to care where my meat comes from.
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

it is yummy, I don't eat it for the nice reasons like animals and stuff because I still eat meat as well. But the burgers are really tasty. I'm not fond of the chik'n nuggets, they are to mushy inside.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I like poultry but I'm not much of a red meat eater, I feel better and I don't get sick after I eat and simply because it's my choice. I like a good veggie burger- morningstar farms, boca, etc or I just make up a batch of my own veggie burgers, time consuming yes but I know my ingredients! I make a mean Veggie Lasagna all my meat eating family and friends gobble up my veggie lasagna and then ask me "so when are you going to make your veggie lasagna again?" :laugh: :happy: I love it! :bigsmile:

Eat what you want and don't worry about what other people think, jus sayin.....:ohwell:
  • allisondra23
    Options
    Gardein is way better than morningstar. WAY better, also most their products don't contain GMOs. There are tons of meatless recipes that don't use meat substitutes that are also delicious.
  • Diyah13
    Diyah13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Love the flavor of real meat. Maybe it's because I grew up as a descendant of farm families who raised their own livestock and vegetables. Pleasant memories of picking berries, apples, beans, peas, and strawberries as well as digging up potatoes, carrots, and beets. Any substitute just doesn't compare with the real thing.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

This ^^^ +1
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Because ewww. :sick:

Processed soy product is yuck.

I'll eat real food, but thanks.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    mtoxsz.jpg
    And I love the taste of real meat / BACON!!!
    Edit: picture post fail :laugh: