So, are carbs evil or not?

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    what about that is good? it also has zero to do with the average MFP-er who isn't on anabolic steroids...

If you new anything about Alberto Nunez you'd know he's not on them either.

I don't believe that for a second.

haha we can at least agree on that. :)

You don't have to believe - and honestly I can't give two hoots if you don't.

why does me "demonizing" a certain kind of carb have any effect on you or cause you ANY problems? out of curiosity.

Look at the thread title. People are scared of them!

As for me, lots of people who come to me for help and I help diet are scared of carbs again because people wrongly say specific carbs are bad. That's why.

You still haven't given me a good example of any carbs that are bad yet tho?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    carbs are not but should not be eaten after lunch and should only be good healthy carbs in the form of fiber.

Pourquoi?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    what about that is good? it also has zero to do with the average MFP-er who isn't on anabolic steroids...

If you new anything about Alberto Nunez you'd know he's not on them either.

I don't believe that for a second.

haha we can at least agree on that. :)

You don't have to believe - and honestly I can't give two hoots if you don't.

why does me "demonizing" a certain kind of carb have any effect on you or cause you ANY problems? out of curiosity.

Look at the thread title. People are scared of them!

As for me, lots of people who come to me for help and I help diet are scared of carbs again because people wrongly say specific carbs are bad. That's why.

You still haven't given me a good example of any carbs that are bad yet tho?

there have been threads upon threads about this.

pop tarts are just as nutritious as broccoli? both carbs!
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    NOT! Nothing is evil, unless you have TOO MUCH of it. Moderation is key. I have all those "evil" things people talk about DAILY and I have lost 84 pounds and I am still truckin'.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Try living on just broccoli too. Using your logic.

Nothing wrong with pop tarts in you diet. I'm not saying just eat none stop pop tarts, no one does. But eating them to meet your goals and enjoy your diet? No problem at all.

You don't have to suffer with plain foods to hit your goals.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Try living on just broccoli too. Using your logic.

Nothing wrong with pop tarts in you diet. I'm not saying just eat none stop pop tarts, no one does. But eating them to meet your goals and enjoy your diet? No problem at all.

You don't have to suffer with plain foods to hit your goals.

you're moving the goalposts - my point is that there are carbs that are more nutritious, and carbs that are less nutritious. :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    you're moving the goalposts - my point is that there are carbs that are more nutritious, and carbs that are less nutritious. :)

No, no I'm not, check my second post here.

You are reading what you want to hear.

As long as you have your fibre in your diet, you'll be fine. Which is what agreed with, on my second post on this thread.
  • meganbook
    meganbook Posts: 71
    Options
    Beer=Carbs
    Beer is not evil, beer is wonderful
    Therefore, carbs are not evil

Cheers :-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So, what else is new?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

So, what else is new?

LOL nothing! SSDD :laugh:
  • RhiannonLeighh
    RhiannonLeighh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's all about which carbs your are eating and how much. Moderation is key!
    Simple carbs (white rice, white flour, white bread, pasta, crackers etc) will be turned into sugar very quickly and will be stored as fat if not used by the body.
    Complex carbs (brown rice, wholegrain bread, pasta, quinoa, flaxseed etc) take longer for the body to break them down, therefore making you fuller for longer. Because they take longer to break down, your use more of the energy gain from them, so it's less likely to be stored as fat.
    As a general rule, if you can still see the seeds, it's a good carbohydrate.
  • RhiannonLeighh
    Options
    carbs are not but should not be eaten after lunch and should only be good healthy carbs in the form of fiber.

What happens after lunch? Does my metabolism slow down?

Your metabolism doesn't slow down, there was some crazy diet fad a while go that said 'no carbs after ---pm' because generally, people aren't as active in the evening and so carbs would be stored as fat. It's no necessarily true, but you shouldn't overindulge in simple carbs right before bed (or any time for that matter)
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump to read laters
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Your metabolism doesn't slow down, there was some crazy diet fad a while go that said 'no carbs after ---pm' because generally, people aren't as active in the evening and so carbs would be stored as fat. It's no necessarily true, but you shouldn't overindulge in simple carbs right before bed (or any time for that matter)

Would you like to tell me how your body uses slow carbs differently to fast carbs?

Once ingested your body breaks ANY carbs down into blood glucose. If that blood glucose is not needed and you have eaten more calories than your body needs for energy it will store it as fat. If you haven't eaten enough, your body will use it for kinetic/digestion etc energy.
  • RhiannonLeighh
    Options
    was that directed at me or the guy asking about the metabolism slowing? I understand how carbs are absorbed and stored, i think my paragraph was unclear. I really should proof read, lol :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Would you like to tell me how your body uses slow carbs differently to fast carbs?

Once ingested your body breaks ANY carbs down into blood glucose. If that blood glucose is not needed and you have eaten more calories than your body needs for energy it will store it as fat. If you haven't eaten enough, your body will use it for kinetic/digestion etc energy.

Yes, this question. And how would fat storage differ in either scenario, surplus or deficit given the same amount of protein, fat and carbohydrate, the only difference being on simple carbs or complex carbs?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    was that directed at me or the guy asking about the metabolism slowing? I understand how carbs are absorbed and stored, i think my paragraph was unclear. I really should proof read, lol :)

Your paragraph read like carbs will be stored as fat later on? Or perhaps carbs are bad?

May be misunderstanding.

Carbs are fine as long as they fit your macros - you can't get fat underindulging (yes a made up word!) :smile:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:noway:

Makes absolutely no difference what time of day you eat food, including carbs. Calories in, calories out. Plain and simple.

I generally work on the 40:30:30 macros but often go over on my carbs, especially if I'm exercising. I also go way over every weekend as I hike up mountains and need those carbs (including sugar) to power me up those thousands of feet! I also have an emergency can of Coke at the bottom of my rucksack for emergencies - cheaper than energy gels and the caffeine and sugar give me a good boost after six hours of clambering over rocks and burning thousands of calories. I've tried baked sweet potatoes, bananas etc etc but nothing quite hits the spot like pure sugar!