Are you 100% honest with your food diary?

Options

Replies

• enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I have a bad day I just stop entering calories.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Everything recorded down to the last piece of gum I chewed.
  • MaryRegs
    MaryRegs Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    yup...what is the point otherwise?
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No, I"m not. I don't have the time/energy/desire to calculate every single little thing (like condiments or small amounts of ingredients)... I find it a struggle to log in my meals and snacks as it is. I basically use the diary as an esitmate of what I"m eating.. I don't look at the calorie count as much as I look at the quality and type of foods I'm eating.

I do try and be as honest as I can with regards to food... I"m just not much of a measurer/weigh-er
  • ZETAZEN
    ZETAZEN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I log it all including my vitamins (mostly to keep track of the fact I've taken them) to a point. I don't log spices. I want to maintain accountability and if I don't log it I'm only lying to myself. I remember one day I logged the 23 calories from the two cheetos I snuck from my daughter. It shocked me that it was that many calories for just two of those little things. From then I decided I didn't want to get too crazy with the logging so I keep the cheetos revelation in mind every time I think of sneaking a little bit of something. If I don't want to log it then I probably shouldn't be eating it int the first place.

Wow....at how many calories were in those two Cheetos! But I agree...if you don't log it, you're only lying to yourself. It's not an accurate reflection on how much one has eaten within the day!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    hahaha no. just the majority. once you start logging stuff like chewing gum or mints i feel like its a bit excessive/obsessive
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It only hurts me if I don't log it, so why not. Though, it isn't always easy to log while living in Japan. A lot of things aren't in the database and I usually can only find calories on food labels and restaurant food...yeah....not happening.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Mostly. But not miniscule things like a spray of Pam or a dash of seasoning for recipes.

This
  • cluthab
    cluthab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

MFP + my new electronic scales make it easy.

This 5:2 diet I'm on where 2 days have an intake of only 600 cals means accurate counting.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Everything. Spices, liquids, vitamin. For this to work -- I have to be honest. I wasn't being honest with myself about what I was eating before I joined here -- this is about changing habits -- and I am setting myself up for failure if I am not completely honest. Plus -- I believe that logging everything will eventually help me to see patterns of what foods "affect" me -- I have already figured out that being over by just a little bit on sodium causes me to retain a LOT of water. I can also figure out if certain foods seem to be causing other negatives or positives. Perhaps it's nerdy -- but I actually find it fun to scan bar codes and marvel when a food I enter is actually already IN the database. I also love the recipe builder feature -- it's all part of the process. And frankly I can't understand why someone wouldn't want to log everything -- what is the point of using this site if you aren't going to use it the way it was constructed to be used.
  • xomellyxo
    xomellyxo Posts: 32
    Options
    I log everything food wise, even when I'm over!
    I usually over estimate things like sauces (ketchup etc.) and cooking oil just in case! But never spices or seasoning.

I don't log drinks (I probably have 20 or more glasses of no added sugar squash through the day) and only have sugar free fizzy drinks on the odd occasion I do have them.
    I never log alcohol because I'm too busy having fun when I drink it ... I do however log the chips I grab on the way home ;)
  • klhtf7
    klhtf7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I try to be. Most days I am. If I'm not in front of a computer that day and have to do it from my phone, I tend to get lazy if it loads slower. Those days, I don't always add some ingredients because I don't take the time to. For example, when I have a K-cup in the AM, I don't always add soy milk as another ingredient, or a packet of Sweet 'n Low. I'm getting better though! I back track in the log and add them if I remember the next time I'm at a computer.
  • Skernan1644
    Options
    No. I am 99% honest with my food diary. But each weekday, I have either 3 or 4 M&Ms (for my afternoon chocolate fix) and/or one 8-calorie sugar free Werthers that do not get included in my food diary. Since I also don't count my 5 minutes on the "stepper" in the mornings while blow-drying my hair in my exercise diary, I am pretty sure that the cals burned on the stepper are sufficient to counter the few cals of the M's and/or sugar free Werthers.

Other than those things, though, every calorie goes in the food diary. Good, bad, or ugly ..... :)
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have gone over my cals for the day and added the excess to the following day, so I then eat less then next day and it doesn't show that I have gone over.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    How do you log spices?

Sporty Spice 60kcals/hour

Baby Spice 39kcals/hour?

Sorry, I'm so 1990's ... Blame the huge glass of red I'm drinking and not logging ...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I try to be. I log coffee, iced tea and spices; things I was surprised to see that had calories.

I always eat mystery foods that are sold without nutrition facts and I either guesstimate or find the closest description in the database.

I'd say 97% honest as possible.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I try to! I add extra calories at the end of the day in hopes I catch all that I missed!
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    I have to log everything because i feel i need to know myself of what i am eating daily. I find myself scanning my food to be logged so i know for personal use. If i don't log everything i feel like i am cheating on myself.
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! Even when I am over (which I have been lately a couple of times), but if you're not honest you're not doing anything but fooling yourself!
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I log anything with calories I dont usually log a lil seasoning salt, or crystal light, or sugar free gum. I consider crystal light water.