I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Apparently they did a study and concluded that one of the main side effects of paleo/primal/clean eating lifestyle is that your head grows bigger and you lose the ability to talk about anything else with your friends.

They're currently doing the same study with Crossfit as well.

work does this as well. At the place where I used to live, the colleagues could not get together for a social without talking about work. Ever.

Maybe we should all just quit work, because it's a cult.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Where did you get twinkies? jealous. None left in my town.:(

I think I found some left over from the 80's.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    definition of "Cult" from Merriam Webster.

1 : formal religious veneration : worship
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad
    b : the object of such devotion
    c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.
    insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

I'm pretty sure that posting a topic where you call a group of people a cult will probably run afoul of the community guidelines too.

"Cult" is not an insult. How is providing a dictionary definition an insult?

How is this not an insult? The connotation of the word 'cult' is far from a good one and it seems that this entire post is designed to get a rise from people. In which case, maybe the OP is just trolling.

Your interpretation of this is your own interpretation. However, the OP never insulted anyone, just stated his belief that those who follow these diets fit the definition.

From what I have seen here (ie, no logical or calm responses), perhaps he is right.

And my interpretation is that if you take the time to publicly state your belief that you think what others do is akin to a 'cult', then you are essentially telling them "You are a member of a cult" - which does not have the best of implications. If the OP doesn't really care what people do with their own time or how they live, what's the point of this thread? Am I in a cult if I think it's perfectly fine to burn more calories than you take in if you want to lose weight? If so, then pass me the Kool-Aid and I'll log it for the day.

so you're saying that it's ok for me to have an opinion you disagree with, just so long as i never express it?

gotcha.
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOL - sign me up!
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Watching what you eat works. If that's what gets people to watch what they eat, cool.

For me tracking what I eat seems to suffice.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA!
    This is hilarious >>>>>>> I believe that Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters belong to a cult.

I would consider these eating approaches to be a form of lifestyle, not a cult! :L

That sounds like an issue with Merriam Webster. I think they are really the problem here.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am involved in serveral cults:
    the central florida facepainting guild- totally a cult
    fun world clown alley- deffinately a cult
    my fitnesspal- most likely a cult
    and my best friends are vegan and are always trying to convert me to their cult...which I do when I'm around them
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    So by your definitions, every religious organization is a cult, football fans are a cult, people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.

aka, you're dumb.
    They all are, to varying degrees, to my mind.
    'The cult of the celebrity' is a phrase that has been around for a long time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, many Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters are very passionate; it's because we have learned that being sick/fat is not normal and is preventable and curable with diet. We want to help other people have the same experience. But people like you can just go ahead keep doing what you are doing and "wait for the cure" for diabetes, obesity, cancer, heart disease, depression, etc. Best luck to you.

When anyone gets evangelical though, it gets annoying. There are also other ways of "healthy" living besides paleo that also go a long ways in curing diseases, improving overall health, etc. I actually think it's comments like the one above that get people like the OP riled up.

Personally, I could never do paleo....I like my whole grains and ancient grains too much...and while they didn't exist in caveman days, they have been around a far cry longer than 100 years and have many health benefits. I also like a bit of dairy now and then..not often, but every once in awhile.

Personally, the Mediterranean lifestyle is more to my liking...heavy on the veg, fruit, lean proteins...some whole grains...EZ on the red meat and minimal dairy. It works for me and I enjoy what I eat...my blood work has done about 180* from where it was 6 months ago. Conversely, Paleo works very well for my brother-in-law who has had some of the same issues as I have. We can actually sit down and talk about other things though and don't get all up in each other's face about who's lifestyle is superior or if he's going to hell or I am.

Like I said...evangelicals of anything are just annoying.
  • stepnerd
    stepnerd Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not a paleo/primal/whatever eater, but the manner in which you have applied the definition of a cult has cast such a broad net that all the members of this site could just as easily fit your application - including you.
    But don't let that stop you from trolling - you seem to have caught a few....
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Apparently they did a study and concluded that one of the main side effects of paleo/primal/clean eating lifestyle is that your head grows bigger and you lose the ability to talk about anything else with your friends.

hahahaha
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    people that watch celebrity gossip are a colt.

???
    Colts.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart: :laugh:
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people choose to put in their mouths.

Apparently this guy does

can you point to exactly what i've written on this thread that implies i care one way or the other about what you eat?

i personally find the Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters advice on this site to be often silly, and mostly derived from food phobias. it occurred to me that advice was not rational, so i looked up the definition of "cult" and sure enough, that definition has helped me to understand these people and why they give the advice they give.

For your information, food phobia is more of eating disorder than a cult.
    Paleo is more of a way of life than a cult.

And...

It's no because you don't believe in things other believes that it makes it automatically a sect!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Oh hey guys, we're here to bash everything that isn't what we like? In that case, **** a puppy. I love little dogs.

Fixed it for you
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options

This is also true of Beachbody.

Truth.
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

i believe Paleo/Primal/Clean eaters fit each of definitions 4, 5a, and 5c to a greater or lesser extent.

Let me get this right...
    You weighed 350+ pounds, lost a boatload of weight, you are now attempting to "live" a healthier life past 40, and you have a cat as your profile pic?

You have bigger fish to fry then pick fights with some of the fittest/healthiest/strongest people I've come across.
    Do you lift? Do you swing kettlebells? Do you play any sports? Do you do anything outside of walk or jog?

Be careful when you post with the intentions of fanning the flames on a fitness site. Not everyone on here is 300 pounds my friend.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0inzj18cL1r7ho7u.gif
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    YAY! Take me to your leader.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

insults are against the community guidelines. you can get a strike for that.

I'm pretty sure that posting a topic where you call a group of people a cult will probably run afoul of the community guidelines too.

"Cult" is not an insult. How is providing a dictionary definition an insult?

How is this not an insult? The connotation of the word 'cult' is far from a good one and it seems that this entire post is designed to get a rise from people. In which case, maybe the OP is just trolling.

Your interpretation of this is your own interpretation. However, the OP never insulted anyone, just stated his belief that those who follow these diets fit the definition.

From what I have seen here (ie, no logical or calm responses), perhaps he is right.

And my interpretation is that if you take the time to publicly state your belief that you think what others do is akin to a 'cult', then you are essentially telling them "You are a member of a cult" - which does not have the best of implications. If the OP doesn't really care what people do with their own time or how they live, what's the point of this thread? Am I in a cult if I think it's perfectly fine to burn more calories than you take in if you want to lose weight? If so, then pass me the Kool-Aid and I'll log it for the day.

so you're saying that it's ok for me to have an opinion you disagree with, just so long as i never express it?

gotcha.

You can have your opinions and express them in constructive ways. I don't follow these particular plans myself, but I don't randomly knock people who do unless they try to shove their views on me. If someone did that to you, then hey, have at it with them.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    i'm going to join crossfit tonight because of this thread.
This discussion has been closed.