So, are carbs evil or not?

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    1. Some people aren't iceman with their diets. Foods like pop-tarts are easy for us slackers to abuse.

I really wanted to address this point. It's not about being "icemen." It's about taking control of your choices and owning up to them. In all my previous diet attempts, I used to clear my house of anything carb-heavy. Bread, sweets, pretzels - they all had to go. I believed they were triggers and I couldn't have them in the house or I just HAD to eat the entire container.

You know what? The carbs didn't make me eat anything. I chose to keep eating. Blaming the pretzels because I refused to stop after one serving wasn't going to do me any good, unless I wanted to hide from foods I enjoyed for the rest of my life.

For me, mastering the mental part of dieting involved a lot of therapy. I've been an emotional and stress eater as long as I can remember. But I made the decision to get over it and stop blaming my problems on food. I'm still working on developing a healthy relationship with eating, but it's so much more empowering than blaming Pop Tarts for my overeating.

Agreed and good for you.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    No.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Thought this said Crabs...my bad.
  • yellowhoneybee
    yellowhoneybee Posts: 4 Member
    No if you eat the right amount!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I have never watched how many carbs I've eaten and it hasn't stopped me from reaching my goals.

But I have known others who ate low carb and lost lots of weight, tried to go back to eating normally & gained more weight than they lost back.
  • Well, as a diabetic, I have to watch my carb intake. They are not evil, but they do turn into sugar which can have adverse affects on someone with my condition. If you take in carbs or a lot of them, then you really need to consider exercise to keep energy levels up and avoid "sugar" spikes. Ultimately though calories are calories. I say be mindful of how many carbs you take in and calories in general.

Side note: When our diets were more of a high carb diet (potatoes, grains, rice, root veggies) people were A LOT more active. We were farmers, construction workers, etc.. There was much more manual labor. Today we sit more and have automated factories, and large screen t.v.'s that keep us less active. The problem is that we never changed our diet.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Energy sources are evil.
  • jamieeas
    jamieeas Posts: 21
    I've seen this question asked a lot, and I've seen a hundred different responses. I personally think that you simply have to find what works for you. Try different things, find something you're happy with - that you can live with and sustain - and do that. I, and again, personally, cut out a lot of processed grains and refined sugar. That's not to say I never have them. I do, and I enjoy them when I have them. I do not beat myself up if I have a cookie. I've lost nearly 70 lbs - in 6 months. I still like pizza, cookies, and chips and salsa. I just don't have copious amounts of these foods. I'm also diabetic. I don't count carbs like a maniac. If I have something that I know has a lot of carbs in it, I just take a long walk...brings the glucose level right down. I exercise, I lift weights like a maniac, and I feel the best I have in my whole life. All of this while eating (moderate) carbs. You have to find balance, something you can live with, otherwise you're just wasting your time.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Thought this said Crabs...my bad.

Those aren't evil either.

I could eat crabs all day.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    what about that is good? it also has zero to do with the average MFP-er who isn't on anabolic steroids...

If you new anything about Alberto Nunez you'd know he's not on them either.

I don't believe that for a second.

haha we can at least agree on that. :)

You don't have to believe - and honestly I can't give two hoots if you don't.

why does me "demonizing" a certain kind of carb have any effect on you or cause you ANY problems? out of curiosity.

Look at the thread title. People are scared of them!

As for me, lots of people who come to me for help and I help diet are scared of carbs again because people wrongly say specific carbs are bad. That's why.

You still haven't given me a good example of any carbs that are bad yet tho?

Nunez isn't even freakishly huge, he's just super diced. People always are quick to pull that gear talk when they see a physique out of their work limits.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    For me they are evil. I had a cup of fried rice the other day and 3 hours later my blood sugars were STILL at 329. This is after a 39 pound weight loss. :frown:
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Carbs have a direct correlation to leptin levels (hormone that regulates metabolism) carbs are good and should be where the majority of your cals come from.

Yes, that is true in non-obese individuals (particularly men). But leptin is already elevated in obese individuals and the blood level of leptin that women have is already, 2 to 3 times that of men at the same level of body fat. The problem is leptin-resistance and that is curbed the same way that insulin resistance is curbed, by cutting carbs. In fact, leptin-resistance predicts insulin-resistance. It just isn't so simple. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707432_7

Leptin resistance is far few and between for the average dieter.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Carbs have a direct correlation to leptin levels (hormone that regulates metabolism) carbs are good and should be where the majority of your cals come from.

Yes, that is true in non-obese individuals (particularly men). But leptin is already elevated in obese individuals and the blood level of leptin that women have is already, 2 to 3 times that of men at the same level of body fat. The problem is leptin-resistance and that is curbed the same way that insulin resistance is curbed, by cutting carbs. In fact, leptin-resistance predicts insulin-resistance. It just isn't so simple. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/707432_7

Leptin resistance is far few and between for the average dieter.

No. To the contrary, leptin resistance is quite common in the obese (and the obese are quite common on this website). Here is a link to a journal article on the subject: http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/285/5/R1011.full

From the article: "...Typical obese humans and animals are hyperleptinemic and resistant to exogenous leptin. Clinical trials with leptin have been disappointing due to this phenomenon of leptin resistance in the obese state, and interest in pharmacological leptin to treat obesity has waned...."
  • n8thh
    n8thh Posts: 10 Member
    they must be cos they taste sooooo good
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Removing carbs is just an easy way of making most meals have less calories.

Take I dunno, a basic meal of steak, potatoes, a sauce and broccoli. Replace one of the first three with more broccoli and maybe 1/4-1/3 of the calories are gone.

Protein helps keep most people full for longer and fat makes everything more yummy. So the easiest thing to remove is the potatoes and the low carb diet does that. Low fat removes the sauce and vegetarian diets(low protein diets?) would remove the meat.
  • SanteMulberry

Take I dunno, a basic meal of steak, potatoes, a sauce and broccoli. Replace one of the first three with more broccoli and maybe 1/4-1/3 of the calories are gone.

Protein helps keep most people full for longer and fat makes everything more yummy. So the easiest thing to remove is the potatoes and the low carb diet does that. Low fat removes the sauce and vegetarian diets(low protein diets?) would remove the meat.

You make some good points. I would add that removing sugar and starch from the diet eliminates a lot of non-nourishing calories that could be spent on other more nourishing items. For me, "empty" carbohydrates are an extravagance that I simply cannot afford on my 1390 calories a day. And there are other bio-chemical issues involved with eating carbohydrates as well.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

i think this is a little oversimplified though... fats have much more importance in your diet than just making things yummy, and vegetarian diets are not inherently low protein

also, I'm technically eating "low carb" - as they only make up 25% of my diet and mostly come from fruits and veggies - but I eat 188g of them and hit 3000 cal daily. So low carb/restricted carb/etc can mean a helluva lot of different things.
  • SanteMulberry

i think this is a little oversimplified though... fats have much more importance in your diet than just making things yummy, and vegetarian diets are not inherently low protein

also, I'm technically eating "low carb" - as they only make up 25% of my diet and mostly come from fruits and veggies - but I eat 188g of them and hit 3000 cal daily. So low carb/restricted carb/etc can mean a helluva lot of different things.

True, dat.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    No.
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    nope,i still eat SOME carbs and have been steadily losing a pound or two a week for the last few months. As always, everything in moderation so you won't feel deprived! Nothing is forbidden, just well-managed :)