Good for you ice cream?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    wait now did someone say rat poison and anti freeze? Which brands do that?

Just the brands that only exist in her mind. No worries.

You clearly eat too much ice cream.

I don't think I eat enough ice cream.

Agreed, you clearly need more ice cream and less fruit.

Why? Is there antifreeze in fruit too?

Showing ignorance is not impressive. The fact that you DON'T know anti-freeze is in ice cream makes YOU look stupid, not me. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't true. I certainly wouldn't admit too many things in public. People who know are NOT laughing at me, they are laughing at the one who is clueless. :happy:

ya know, the natural stuff can be just as dangerous as the chemicals for some people. There are a ton of people that have life threatening allergies to nuts, fruits, or other organic materials that will cause known, and immediate harm.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

You clearly eat too much ice cream.

I don't think I eat enough ice cream.

Agreed, you clearly need more ice cream and less fruit.

Why? Is there antifreeze in fruit too?

Showing ignorance is not impressive. The fact that you DON'T know anti-freeze is in ice cream makes YOU look stupid, not me. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't true. I certainly wouldn't admit too many things in public. People who know are NOT laughing at me, they are laughing at the one who is clueless. :happy:

ya know, the natural stuff can be just as dangerous as the chemicals for some people. There are a ton of people that have life threatening allergies to nuts, fruits, or other organic materials that will cause known, and immediate harm.

Actually the "anti-freeze" is natural too - http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0702-edible_antifreeze_saves_ice_cream.htm
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Oh snap, someone go get the popcorn!

I don't know what you mean, I was just agreeing. :flowerforyou:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options

Oh snap, someone go get the popcorn!

I don't know what you mean, I was just agreeing. :flowerforyou:

:smile: I was talking about the drama on the board.
  • KittenOfDoomage
    KittenOfDoomage Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This whole thing has just made me LOL so hard. Thanks!!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I expect the 'anti-freeze' comment comes from the posters confusion of ethylene gycol (anti-freeze) and propylene glycol (food preservative, also with anti-ice crystal properties). However - NOT THE SAME. Like how bleach (H2O2) and water (H2O) are not really both good for drinking, despite being chemically similar.

'Good for you' icecream is actual icecream. Made from sugar, egg yolks and cream + whatever flavours you add. That's it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I expect the 'anti-freeze' comment comes from the posters confusion of ethylene gycol (anti-freeze) and propylene glycol (food preservative, also with anti-ice crystal properties). However - NOT THE SAME. Like how bleach (H2O2) and water (H2O) are not really both good for drinking, despite being chemically similar.

Yep. A lot of anti-freeze now use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol to make it safe if accidentally ingested by animals. In other words, anti-freeze with propylene glycol is labeled NON-toxic.
  • claytonmccord
    claytonmccord Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, I go away for a few hours and this little thread I posted asking if anyone had ever tried this stuff has EXPLODED in a whole new direction. I'm glad that it was able to bring smiles to so many peoples faces. :-) And I hope that it didn't cause too many people too much anguish. I'm still curious how this ice cream tastes though. I guess I'll just order some and see for myself. :-)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    It doesn't look too bad, but be careful with ice cream. Most brands contain anti-freeze, rat poison, etc.

Citation Needed

Probably got the anit-freezes from the guar gum ingredient. That's what keep the ice crystals from forming. Not sure if thats what used in all ice creams...

Rat poision.. well idk. where that came from.. but if I really felt like looking into I could problaby find it..

Just read the labels and look up what you don't know.. that's the only way to know if it's REALLY "good for you" the only way to make a real infomred choice on whati s healhty to eat and what isn't.

Carrageenan is another that is used to keep ice cream creamy. It's also natural, made from seaweed. In Ireland, there is a sort of pudding made from the moss that it is extracted from. It's been linked to inflammation of the intestinal tract in some studies.

It is NOT antifreeze... which is poisonous to just about all mammals. (ethylene glycol)

Guar gum is natural too. Xanthan gum is another, which is used pretty frequently in gluten free foods to give the mouthfeel of gluten in baked items. as well as ice cream.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into making my own frozen greek yogurt. I have an ice cream maker, so why not? I'm thinking amaretto and cherry flavored...with some dark chocolate chips.

I like Trader Joe's frozen greek yogurt in a pinch - but I must admit to smashing up a serving of dark chocolate (or 1/2 serving of dark chocolate turbinado and sea salt covered almonds) and mixing in.

ETA: While looking up arctic zero false calorie claims, I found out that stoneyfield farms has a whole line of frozen yogurts, and greek yogurts. Where have I been hiding? Under a rock, I guess. I want to try the minty chocolate chip. I've had their ice creams before and they are fantastic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow, I go away for a few hours and this little thread I posted asking if anyone had ever tried this stuff has EXPLODED in a whole new direction. I'm glad that it was able to bring smiles to so many peoples faces. :-) And I hope that it didn't cause too many people too much anguish. I'm still curious how this ice cream tastes though. I guess I'll just order some and see for myself. :-)

You should also look out for Jeni's Splendid Ice cream - I know they supply your area and have it in some of the whole foods:

http://www.jenis.com/

It is a little pricey though.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

So ice cream is the same as dancer's bodies?

Ooooooooh, Dave... :laugh:

Haagen Dazs. Yummy. I don't care what chemicals are in there. Of course, my world was destroyed when they stopped making Macadamia Brittle. :sad:

^^ Me too!! That was my absolute favorite!! :sad: I now settle for the Butter Pecan or Vanilla Swiss almond.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I ran across this recipe today in Self magazine and thought it sounded delish:

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2013/04/banana-ice-cream-roasted-almonds

Banana "Ice Cream" With Sweet-and-Salty Roasted Almonds
    This recipe has all the rich, creamy texture of ice cream with none of the dairy or sugar. The crunchy topping is a snap to put together and is so good.

Recipe courtesy of It's All Good: Delicious, Easy Recipes That Will Make You Look Good and Feel Great by Gwyneth Paltrow and Julia Turshen.

Serves 4
    4 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
    1/4 cup roasted almonds, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp maple syrup, divided
    1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 teaspoonpure vanilla extract

PREPARATION

Place banana slices in a single layer on a plate or tray lined with parchment or wax paper; freeze at least 3 hours. In a bowl, combine almonds, 2 tsp syrup and salt. In a food processor, pulse frozen banana slices, milk, vanilla and remaining 2 tbsp syrup, scraping down the sides as necessary, until mixture is the texture of soft-serve ice cream. Spoon into bowls; sprinkle with almond mixture.

The skinny

201 calories per serving, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 39 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein
This discussion has been closed.