Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi Toni,

Thanks for doing this!

My stats:
    Ht: 5'3
    Wt: 155
    Work/life style: sedentary
    Activity:
    cardio – 3 times a week; abs – 2-3 times a week; (for about 30 mins)
    walking – 3 miles a day

I’m a vegan and having been exercising for almost 6 months now. Despite working out and trying to eat comparatively healthier meals. I’ve been avoiding sweets and fried stuff (that I love).

I’ve been tracking my food intake for little over a week now and this seems to be my food intake pattern:
    Current food intake/day:
    Carbs: 140 gms; protein: 40-50 gms; fat: 40 gms; sugar: 35 gms

Looks like there are a lot of things I’m not doing right. Can you tell me where I’m going wrong? What can I do to lose those extra 40 pounds?

Thanks!

I would start by incorporating the things you love in the right amounts. That's what MFP is for. To teach you the right portions. It's all about calories/calories out. Plan ahead for a small amount of sweets if it's something you love.

Your protein is a bit low. It's adequate, but it's not optimal. Try supplementing with a plant based protein powder 1-2x per day to boost up your protein another 30-50g if possible to achieve ~100g/day.

Be consistent and measure your food. Drop your calories 10% if you can't lose weight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hello! Thx for this.

My stats:
    height: 5'2
    cw: 157
    work/lifestyle : sedentary during the week/ lightly active weekends
    cardio : treadmill anywhere from 1-3 hours per day (1hr increments 1,2, or 3x a day), 5-6 days per week. 100 pushups/crunches daily, occasionally toss in a JM vid or 2
    Recently up'd my calories a bit to try to get over a plateau issue I ran into, and it is not working. The past 3 months my scale has bounced from 156-160. Never more.. never less. I only have 20lbs to go to get to my goal (30 for the ultimate goal), and this stinkin standpoint is killin me. I have been tracking my calories and feel like I'm killing myself with cardio, and it just isn't doing anything. There has been no change in the measuring tape either. I looked through my food diary back to when I was heavier, eating fewer calories, doin less exercise, and losing more weight and it confuses me. I did notice that my last 3 months seem "routine" though compared to what it was. Food and exercise-wise.

Soooo... I was wondering. Is it possible that my body just got "bored" with my workout/eating routine? And any suggestions on what to do to change it up? My friend suggested a "quickie loss" diet to rattle things up a bit. (Basically, sounded like a liquid diet that a doc puts you on before surgery). Seemed kind of scary considering it was low cal, low fat... low everything, but she said it is only for 2 or 3 days... then go back to normal. Is this something that is safe to attempt? I just need to get out of this flunk, it's really bringing me down >.<

You just need to cut calories and make sure you're being consistent. Try a 10% cut and evaluate after a couple weeks. If that doesn't work, cut another 10% and repeat.

Your body will adapt to exercise, but that's why you should always run a little faster, a little longer, and lift a little heavier as you are able. Consider working with a personal trainer if you don't know how to exercise.

If you hit a plateau again, check out my video I made on the subject : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering our questions Tony. I just started this website recently (at 210lbs 23 years old) and have a few questions:

1) I usually eat below my calorie limit (sometimes only 800-900 calories). I did not used to drink water before and so 8 glasses of water/day make me really full. Should I increase my amount and how should I increase it, or is it fine since I feel full? What foods would be helpful to me but not make me feel overstuffed?

2) I only walk at 3.0 mph for 90 minutes daily. I don't really want to do weight lifting. Can I stick with just cardiovascular exercises but instead increase the amount of protein and Omega-3's I eat?

3) If the answer to question number two is that I should try to incorporate muscle building exercises into my workout.......can you recommend what I kinds of exercises I can do at home? I am a university student and have student loan debt so I cannot invest in personal trainers, gym memberships, or super heavy bars or other exercise equipment. Ah.........and I can't do sit-ups; I've never been able to do them even when I was young.

4) What are your thoughts on cheat meals (1/week)?
  • Spamcat
    Spamcat Posts: 45
    Options
    Hmmmm scallops. I am liking that option! Thanks Tony! I will look for the protein powder too
    What is your recommended ratio for carbs, fat and carbs. I am a 205lb sedentary 5'6" 47 yr female w T2. Doing 1 hr treadmill 4 x a week minimum consuming 1600 cals
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of us!
    Spamcat
  • Nidda_C
    Options
    Adding on to my last post:

5) What do you think of the 5-2 intermittent training program? I have decided to fast every weekend to control myself from eating excess junk but I am not sure.

6) I have read that after 4-5 weeks you should change your workout/intensity because your body gets used to the workout and you don't lose fat anymore. How often do you recommend people change their workout?
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    Hello, and thank you for offering your time!

I have a question about calories burned. I am currently at 292lbs and I try to work out two or three times a week. I gravitate toward the Elliptical runner (a "normal" one, that includes the ski handles) because it saves on my knees. I try to do an hour on this.

According to the MFP calculations, this will burn around 1250 calories. The calories-burned monitor on the elliptical says around 950 (I usually go with this value). Are either of these figures reasonable so far as you can tell? I give a good go and am always very sweaty in the end, so it's not that I don't put good effort into it. But I've had others tell me that this cannot be right and it's probably closer to 400 burned, which seems way too low.

Thanks!
  • Nidda_C
    Options
    Sorry I keep thinking up more questions.

7) I am iron deficient and am taking the pills. I log them on this website but I get a huge surplus in iron then. What percentage should I change the iron too so this annoying surplus doesn't show?

8) I read online that Vitamin D and calcium are not the same thing. This website does not allow tracking of vitamin D (which I am severely lacking) so how do you recommend I track it? And at what percentage daily to return back to normal?

9) In one of the previous posts I read that you said Splenda can be taken? I have read articles where it is stated that Splenda and some other artificial sweeteners can actually cause cancer. Do they not hold weight; what articles should I search up in a database to read the accurate info? (I am a university student so can locate the sources myself to read if I am given a guide)
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is really nice of you!
    Im 41 yrs old.
    weight: 166-168
    height: 5'7"
    goal weight: 150
    Body fat: 36.3%...(not sure if this is accurate)

I had been eating 1200 calories & below since the first of Jan. Also have been doing Tabata 30 mins (4 days a week), walk, eliptical, etc. on the 5th day...some of the Tabata classes we use light weights with cardio. I try two days a week to lift heavy and do 5 reps/ 3 sets. I was not losing any weight at all. At the end of Feb. everyone suggested I up my calories so I did. I tried to get 1300/1400. I lost 3 lbs. Now I havent lost anything in 2 or 3 wks. I have been eating a few more calories in hopes it would continue to help me lose. I have been eating much cleaner and even the days I dont eat as clean I still dont go over 1600/1700. Not sure what to do...
    I stand all day at work. Im a hair stylist. I consider myself active. I usually have Sundays as my lazy day. Please help me! Im so confused about how many calories I need and to be able to lose weight. I try to get close to 100 grams of protein and over that on some days.
    I have always starved myself to lose weight but of course I always gained it back. I want to lose but have a not so starving diet and a diet I can live with. Starving hasnt even worked this time.
    My heart rate is usually 180 during the tabata workout.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if you could suggest low cal foods to increase calcium and iron as I am always on the lower end with my results. Thank you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+calcium+foods

So you come here offering to answer questions as a dietician and then post a snarky response to a genuine question that fits your extremely rigid criteria? Helpful.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I want to write a research paper on the high obesity rate in the United States. If my topic gets approved, could I interview you on your expertise? I just would need to see some proof that you are certified, and you need to be from the United States simply because my paper is on the high obesity rate in the U.S. Thank you very much!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Can you destroy your metabolism if you eat under 1200 calories and what does it mean if your metabolism is truly destroyed? What happens inside of your body that destroys your metabolism when you eat under 1200 calories. Lots of people ask that question here so many times so I'd like to hear it from a professional.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Toni,
    my name is stacey im 39yr old weight 230 lbs and 5'6 not sure on body fat %. The only medical issue I have is my Back 2 spinal fusions. so my active level is not like I would love it to be because of lost of flexablity and pain. my question is I keep reading to cut calories but can you gain weight from not eating enough, for the last few years I would only eat once maybe twice a day if I felt hungery or gotten a headace. I drink alot of crystal light that has keeped me off soda for the last couple years. but sence I have started to try to get this weight off I cant seam to lose anything I try to stay with in what mfp calorie say I should be eating and the scales are not moving. should I lower the calorie intake that mfp say of 1850 a day I have tryed lowering it to 1450 and still no changes.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Can you destroy your metabolism if you eat under 1200 calories and what does it mean if your metabolism is truly destroyed? What happens inside of your body that destroys your metabolism when you eat under 1200 calories. Lots of people ask that question here so many times so I'd like to hear it from a professional.

You can't destroy your metabolism. That's an oversimplistic view of a very dynamic function of the body.

Can you slow your metabolism down? Absolutely. Losing muscle mass will slow your metabolic rate. That's why weight lifting is very important during a calorie cut to preserve lean mass.

Lots of people who talk about nutrition have no idea what they're talking about. It's quite sad how many people think they are experts just because they are in good shape, read a couple books, etc. etc. Try not to listen to them for the most part.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I was wondering if you could suggest low cal foods to increase calcium and iron as I am always on the lower end with my results. Thank you.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=high+calcium+foods

So you come here offering to answer questions as a dietician and then post a snarky response to a genuine question that fits your extremely rigid criteria? Helpful.

Hey! Welcome to the internet!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Thank you for answering our questions Tony. I just started this website recently (at 210lbs 23 years old) and have a few questions:

1) I usually eat below my calorie limit (sometimes only 800-900 calories). I did not used to drink water before and so 8 glasses of water/day make me really full. Should I increase my amount and how should I increase it, or is it fine since I feel full? What foods would be helpful to me but not make me feel overstuffed?

2) I only walk at 3.0 mph for 90 minutes daily. I don't really want to do weight lifting. Can I stick with just cardiovascular exercises but instead increase the amount of protein and Omega-3's I eat?

3) If the answer to question number two is that I should try to incorporate muscle building exercises into my workout.......can you recommend what I kinds of exercises I can do at home? I am a university student and have student loan debt so I cannot invest in personal trainers, gym memberships, or super heavy bars or other exercise equipment. Ah.........and I can't do sit-ups; I've never been able to do them even when I was young.

4) What are your thoughts on cheat meals (1/week)?

1. You're fine. You don't have to force feed yourself if you're not hungry.
    2. You can just do aerobics. Weight lifting is optimal, it's not necessary. MFP generally gives low protein amounts, so you can probably bump it up.
    3. Does your university not have a gym?
    4. A cheat day implies that you don't enjoy your regular diet and that you have to take a vacation from it. Cheat days = binge eating. Cheat days, even if allowed, are associated with guilt of overeating. If someone is having psychological issues from being in a "steep deficit" then they should recalculate their intake to a moderate deficit. So yes, if you have a coach that plans in "cheat days" into your diet, they don't understand the concepts of balance and moderation and can't figure out how to incorporate enjoyment and moderation into your daily nutrition plan. My clients don't get sanctioned "cheat days" because the whole point of their nutrition plan is to learn how to indulge with self control and with out guilt. A cheat day is an open invitation to a binge, and a binge is never healthy. But in the end, do what works for you, that's just my opinion.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hmmmm scallops. I am liking that option! Thanks Tony! I will look for the protein powder too
    What is your recommended ratio for carbs, fat and carbs. I am a 205lb sedentary 5'6" 47 yr female w T2. Doing 1 hr treadmill 4 x a week minimum consuming 1600 cals
    I appreciate you taking the time to respond to all of us!
    Spamcat

Try 35% protein and carbs.

No problem.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I am a 28 year old female. Height - 5"2 and weight - 172 lbs. Have been overweight all my 20's. Worked out a lot of times and lost weight and then with bad food habits gained it all back. Trying to lose all the excess weight this time for good as with the ageing, heavy body is not helping.
    My question for you is : How much calories are enough ? I recently had a question that I put up to the forum - you can see if you have time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933201-does-it-make-sense-and-would-it-ever-work
    But that's basically what i want to know -
    1) What should be my calorie intake (based on the fact that I have a desk job with no movements other than the time i walk 100 steps to go to the bathroom) and that I am trying to work out atleast 45 mins a day - 5 days a week.
    2) Shall I eat my exercise calories back. My TDEE is 2200 approx.
    3) What should be ideal ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fat.
    4) Does my total calorie intake if its based on TDEE - % should be equal to my net calories or my total calories (including eating back exercise calories)

Thanks a lot for doing this :) Appreciate it.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hey, y'all. My name is Tony. I'm a RD and personal trainer in Flower Mound, TX. I enjoy answering questions on here and helping people out:

I've done this once before and I got overwhelmed with questions so please read these few points before you ask your questions.

1. I am not here to argue science, methods, or prove any advice I'm giving. I have a formal education in nutrition, keep up on the current research and have my own opinions. I welcome you to share yours, but I will not engage in debate, nor will your opinion be likely to change my positions. I will not be posting links to peer reviewed journals for my recommendations. I am aware of the laws of giving nutrition guidance online, etc. etc.

2. I am only going to answer questions for people in general good health. If you have questions about a medical condition or disease state (ie diabetes, thyroid disease, cancer) My answer is always going to be, "talk to your doctor and dietitian."

3. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more. I have made a video for you guys on fat loss plateaus if you want more info http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18hWej4e1u0

4. The more information you can provide me like your age, height, weight, bodyfat %, current workout program, etc. will help me help you.

5. I can't accept any more friends on myfitnesspal.com right now. If you want "bookmark" me to ask me a questions later, you can link up with me on facebook. http://www.facebook.com/Foodandfitness . I repeat: do not friend request me. I appreciate it but I can't keep up with everyone on here.

6. Please read the other's questions in this thread to see if your question has been answered already.

Ok, *whew* now that that's out of the way, fire at will! :)

If I don't get to your questions right away, I will do my best to come back on here.