Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• chuckponygirl
    Options
    If it has not been asked already, is it ok to eat below your BMR?

Is there a too low point if eating below your BMR?

If already answered then I will find it.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Yes it's fine. BMR and RMR, unless tested in the lab, are going to be rough estimations any ways. It's a good starting point but in the end, you have to make changes based on the results you are getting with your current methods.
  • chuckponygirl
    Options

Yes it's fine. BMR and RMR, unless tested in the lab, are going to be rough estimations any ways. It's a good starting point but in the end, you have to make changes based on the results you are getting with your current methods.

So if my BMR IS 1800 and my net calories at the end of the day are only 600, I'm okay? TIA!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

So if my BMR IS 1800 and my net calories at the end of the day are only 600, I'm okay? TIA!

You're OK. Like I said, it's all estimations anyways and you have to base your methods off your results. Getting the results you want and not starving or feeling deprived? Good.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tony could you reply on my questions. I was the last question in the earlier thread so I guess it got missed. Here is my message:

Hi Tony,

I am a 28 year old female. Height - 5"2 and weight - 172 lbs. Have been overweight all my 20's. Worked out a lot of times and lost weight and then with bad food habits gained it all back. Trying to lose all the excess weight this time for good as with the ageing, heavy body is not helping.
    My question for you is : How much calories are enough ? I recently had a question that I put up to the forum - you can see if you have time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933201-does-it-make-sense-and-would-it-ever-work
    But that's basically what i want to know -
    1) What should be my calorie intake (based on the fact that I have a desk job with no movements other than the time i walk 100 steps to go to the bathroom) and that I am trying to work out atleast 45 mins a day - 5 days a week.
    2) Shall I eat my exercise calories back. My TDEE is 2200 approx.
    3) What should be ideal ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fat.
    4) Does my total calorie intake if its based on TDEE - % should be equal to my net calories or my total calories (including eating back exercise calories)

Thanks a lot for doing this :) Appreciate it.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    On most weeks I keep my calorie at a limit of 1500-1800 calories a day but have noticed that if I eat healthier foods in that calorie range and fast food in that calorie range the results are really different! I tend to lose about 3-4 pounds a week eating 1500-1800 calories of healthy foods. If its mostly fast food in the calorie range I will only lose 1-2 pounds instead. Why is it different if its the same amount of calories and I am still exercising? Thanks!
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

You're OK. Like I said, it's all estimations anyways and you have to base your methods off your results. Getting the results you want and not starving or feeling deprived? Good.

You're joking, right?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Let me start off with a little background on myself first so you can understand the relevance of my question-

I am a vegetarian. For the first five years of my life I was vegan. I have NEVER eaten meat. That said, if I happen to get, say, a bite of enchilada before I realize there is meat in the sauce I get extremely ill.... For days. This has happened.... Maybe 4 times in my life? And trust me, I don't EVER want it to happen!!!!!

That being said, I have always eaten copious amounts of soy in my diet. Still far below the protein my body needs, but LOTS of soy regardless. Come to find out about 6 months ago- I have an under active thyroid. I do not have hashimotos. My doctors seem to believe that it may be de to the fact I have consumed large quantities of soy for such a long time.

Here's my dilemma now.... I lift weights. I have a protein goal of about 105grams per day. I can no longer have soy. I do not eat meat.

I am struggling EVERY day and forcing myself to have whey, Greek yogurt, casein, beans, and myco protein with EVERY meal; for every meal. And it SUCKS! bad.

I take BCAAs when working out, and it's my understanding that protein is broken own into these essential and non essential amino acids. Would it be possible to take an amino acid supplement throughout the day so that I don have to force myself to hit this protein goal? Do you have any suggestions for someone in this kind of situation?

Eta: female, 5'3, 118 pounds, around 18% body fat, 22 years old. :) I know you said talk to your doctor about desieses such as thyroid- I'm hoping as this is more of a question about protein and not my thyroid you'll be able to help. <3 also sorry for any spelling errors I'm on my phone.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to stray from the government's food pyramid in your recommendations?
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm totally NOT a dietician but would like to suggest you look in to spirulina for protein. And maybe double think the casein as it can raise inflammation.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Tony could you reply on my questions. I was the last question in the earlier thread so I guess it got missed. Here is my message:

Hi Tony,

I am a 28 year old female. Height - 5"2 and weight - 172 lbs. Have been overweight all my 20's. Worked out a lot of times and lost weight and then with bad food habits gained it all back. Trying to lose all the excess weight this time for good as with the ageing, heavy body is not helping.
    My question for you is : How much calories are enough ? I recently had a question that I put up to the forum - you can see if you have time: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/933201-does-it-make-sense-and-would-it-ever-work
    But that's basically what i want to know -
    1) What should be my calorie intake (based on the fact that I have a desk job with no movements other than the time i walk 100 steps to go to the bathroom) and that I am trying to work out atleast 45 mins a day - 5 days a week.
    2) Shall I eat my exercise calories back. My TDEE is 2200 approx.
    3) What should be ideal ratio of Carbs/Protein/Fat.
    4) Does my total calorie intake if its based on TDEE - % should be equal to my net calories or my total calories (including eating back exercise calories)

Thanks a lot for doing this :) Appreciate it.

MFP does a pretty good job at estimating your caloric need. If you are maintaining weight at the value it gives you, cut about 10% of your calories and see how you respond after a few weeks.

Try doing a 35% 35% carb and protein %. I like using absolute values, but that's normally a good place to start.

As far as eating back calories from exercise, I generally don't recommend eating those back unless you're hungry and need them. MFP tends to overestimate caloric burn from exercise in my opinion.

Sorry I missed your question.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein should I eat on days that I lift weights?

Stats:

4'11"
    105 lb
    35 - 27.5 - 31.5
    16% body fat (according to scale, looks higher)
    fitness level: 5 hours per week, advanced
    weight workouts: 3-4 days per week, upper or lower body, takes about an hour each, 5 sets and 5 repetitions of 8 - 10 exercises with the heaviest weight that I can safely use. Lower body examples: 200 on leg press, 140 on squats with smith machine, 75 on lying hamstring curls, 30 lb dumbbells on lunges, 170 on single leg kickbacks. Upper body examples: 40 lb barbell with bicep curls, 15 lb dumbbells with overhead press, 50 lb barbell with lat row, 5 dips unassisted, 5 pull - ups with 35 lb assist. New to weights, started lifting about three months ago. Not sure if I'm doing everything right, just trying not to mess up being a girl in a weight area with lots of intimidating fellows around...any advice would be appreciated.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    On most weeks I keep my calorie at a limit of 1500-1800 calories a day but have noticed that if I eat healthier foods in that calorie range and fast food in that calorie range the results are really different! I tend to lose about 3-4 pounds a week eating 1500-1800 calories of healthy foods. If its mostly fast food in the calorie range I will only lose 1-2 pounds instead. Why is it different if its the same amount of calories and I am still exercising? Thanks!

A calorie is a calorie. I know I said I wasn't going to pull up research journals but here: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/5/899S.long I keep this one handy at all times because I'm asked it so much.

You're under the assumption that your calories are the same from both foods. They are likely different and you're either mis-estimating or the values are wrong in MFP. Probably a combination of the two.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

You're joking, right?

No. I'm not.

Maybe you're thinking I'm joking because you believe in a "starvation mode?" Is that the case?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    One more question:

I read a book on eating clean by Tosca Reno, and she says that you can't make up the calories in an extra slice of chocolate cake by working out harder the next day. She says certain foods will make you fat because the human body cannot process junk food as well as something like fruit / vegetables / lean protein.

Is that true, or are all calories the same when it comes to maintaining a lean body?

She also advises staying away from bread, even whole wheat - unless it is sprouted grain bread. Is that BS?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What are your views on the Okinawan centenarian study, and similar studies (linda loma adventists) that suggest a primarily plant based diet with little meat and fish is optimal for longevity and reduced risk of disease ? Are those working out hard and consuming large quantities of protein actually compromising their chances of a long life ?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Let me start off with a little background on myself first so you can understand the relevance of my question-

I am a vegetarian. For the first five years of my life I was vegan. I have NEVER eaten meat. That said, if I happen to get, say, a bite of enchilada before I realize there is meat in the sauce I get extremely ill.... For days. This has happened.... Maybe 4 times in my life? And trust me, I don't EVER want it to happen!!!!!

That being said, I have always eaten copious amounts of soy in my diet. Still far below the protein my body needs, but LOTS of soy regardless. Come to find out about 6 months ago- I have an under active thyroid. I do not have hashimotos. My doctors seem to believe that it may be de to the fact I have consumed large quantities of soy for such a long time.

Here's my dilemma now.... I lift weights. I have a protein goal of about 105grams per day. I can no longer have soy. I do not eat meat.

I am struggling EVERY day and forcing myself to have whey, Greek yogurt, casein, beans, and myco protein with EVERY meal; for every meal. And it SUCKS! bad.

I take BCAAs when working out, and it's my understanding that protein is broken own into these essential and non essential amino acids. Would it be possible to take an amino acid supplement throughout the day so that I don have to force myself to hit this protein goal? Do you have any suggestions for someone in this kind of situation?

Eta: female, 5'3, 118 pounds, around 18% body fat, 22 years old. :) I know you said talk to your doctor about desieses such as thyroid- I'm hoping as this is more of a question about protein and not my thyroid you'll be able to help. <3 also sorry for any spelling errors I'm on my phone.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy those high protein foods. Keep trying different recipes. Ever had high protein pancakes? Yum.

BCAAs are pretty much a waste of $ if you're meeting your protein needs from a variety of sources. Complete proteins have BCAAs in them, so you don't need to supplement.

I personally think it's optimal to get your protein in at least a few times during the day, but I think you'll be just fine if you want to front load it. Try a protein shake with 2 scoops of whey to start the day so you can coast for the rest of your meals. You have lots of options here with your protein, so find something that looks for you.

Also, I've never read about soy causing hypothyroidism. I'd get a second opinion on that.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options

You're joking, right?

No. I'm not.

Maybe you're thinking I'm joking because you believe in a "starvation mode?" Is that the case?

I ask if you're joking because I don't understand how in good conscience you can recommend someone actively eat less than what their body needs to survive long-term, unsupervised medically. The real laughs start coming when you're advocating a diet so low in calories that there is no possible way for them to meet the requirements of most, if any, vitamins and minerals essential for the function of the human body. Less is NOT always more, and I think it's pretty tragic to see a professional recommending/promoting unhealthy behaviors surrounding food.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Are you allowed to stray from the government's food pyramid in your recommendations?

Yes. Food pyramid is a guidline, not a mandate.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

You're joking, right?

No. I'm not.

I ask if you're joking because I don't understand how in good conscience you can recommend someone actively eat less than what their body needs to survive long-term, unsupervised medically. The real laughs start coming when you're advocating a diet so low in calories that there is no possible way for them to meet the requirements of most, if any, vitamins and minerals essential for the function of the human body. Less is NOT always more, and I think it's pretty tragic to see a professional recommending/promoting unhealthy behaviors surrounding food.

LOL, so you think this person is going to die or get a disease from maintaining a large deficit for a period of time and reaching his or her goal weight?