13 year old girl benches 240 lbs

Options

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    touching your chest with the bar then moving it back up is a rep. Arching your back reduces the distance the bar has to travel to meet your chest. Its kinda cheating IMO but its accepted. Most people do it, obviously not as insanely as this girl though.

Cheating what? like what or who is she cheating? she lowered the weight and pushed it back up...

arching your back reduces the distance that the bar has to travel to be considered a rep. Surely my 2 line answer was easy enough to understand? You dont need to be competing against anyone to cheat btw. Shes cheating only herself.

She is not doing a "rep" she is doing a one time lowering of the bar with control and then pressing it up for a powerlifting competition. She is cheating herself because she is using a form to help her reduce injury? if her arch was less she would have worse footing which help her control the weight better and reduce the chance of injury.

So she isn't cheating herself, in fact she is doing the right thing for herself and body.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I heard that heavy lifting wasn't good for people so young but can't remember where... Has anyone else heard this?
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    http://www.ericcressey.com/the-truth-about-kids-and-resistance-training
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19945973

"Current research indicates that resistance training can be a safe, effective and worthwhile activity for children and adolescents provided that qualified professionals supervise all training sessions and provide age-appropriate instruction on proper lifting procedures and safe training guidelines. Regular participation in a multifaceted resistance training program that begins during the preseason and includes instruction on movement biomechanics may reduce the risk of sports-related injuries in young athletes."
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I heard that heavy lifting wasn't good for people so young but can't remember where... Has anyone else heard this?

Nope. And you should look up Amanda Harris aka Barbie Barbell. It helped with her medical issues.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Holy hell that's INCREDIBLE! And she's not even bulky! :bigsmile:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of a bench press is from the lowest point to mid point in which you might hit a "stick" zone and with her arching her back sooooooooooooooooo rediculously much she barely lowers the bar so the range of motion is tiny. it's amazing she can lift that much but I'd like to see her actually keep her back flat-ish and do it properly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just went back to the link and read a little. The first time I around I only looked at the video.

So now I understand. Because a bunch of clueless people on youtube and jezebel attacked the form, the clueless people of MFP jumped on the bandwagon. So it's literally the blind leading the blind.

Love the comment from the guy above where he says "she's only cheating herself". WTF dude. Do you even lift?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of a bench press is from the lowest point to mid point in which you might hit a "stick" zone and with her arching her back sooooooooooooooooo rediculously much she barely lowers the bar so the range of motion is tiny. it's amazing she can lift that much but I'd like to see her actually keep her back flat-ish and do it properly.

Ummmmm, flat back is bad form. Most people can't arch like that, but flat back? No.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) That's impressive as hell.

2) Her position on the bench is rock solid. Yes, it is extreme.

Those who say it's "bad form" --- apply some context. She's a powerlifter, and quite frankly she's doing a great job of it.

You are SUPPOSED to arch your back and pin your shoulders back into the bench, butt stays on the bench. If you're the guy with your legs in the air or lower back pressed flat into the bench, you're doing it wrong, and good luck with your shoulders.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    that is scary strong she can toss me easy
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    touching your chest with the bar then moving it back up is a rep. Arching your back reduces the distance the bar has to travel to meet your chest. Its kinda cheating IMO but its accepted. Most people do it, obviously not as insanely as this girl though.

Cheating what? like what or who is she cheating? she lowered the weight and pushed it back up...

arching your back reduces the distance that the bar has to travel to be considered a rep. Surely my 2 line answer was easy enough to understand? You dont need to be competing against anyone to cheat btw. Shes cheating only herself.

lolno.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    that is scary strong she can toss me easy
    Meh not to belittle her accomplishment.
    But she'd only be able to toss you 8 inches from a prone position.
    So just dont sit on her.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I've seen it! And I had someone explain the form to me, I understood (as a dancer, it makes sense to me). Incredibly amazing!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Those who say it's "bad form" --- apply some context. She's a powerlifter, and quite frankly she's doing a great job of it.

You are SUPPOSED to arch your back and pin your shoulders back into the bench, butt stays on the bench. If you're the guy with your legs in the air or lower back pressed flat into the bench, you're doing it wrong, and good luck with your shoulders.

^^bears repeating.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    The arch is common among female powerlifters (or powerlifters in general, it's just more pronounced in females because of their flexibility), it's to minimize range of motion on the lift, nothing too worrying about it.

Awesome lift/strength!

That's good to know. I was like "ouch" the whole time!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Nope. And you should look up Amanda Harris aka Barbie Barbell. It helped with her medical issues.

I heard that once, but like everything I heard when I was a kid I learned that it was a myth.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I only wish I could be even 1/2 that good. I am still working on BP 95. And I wish I had that flexibility. Fabulous for anyone, but even more impressive at such a young age.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    90% of the people that not only responded to THIS post but also the ones on Youtube have absolutely NO clue how powerlifting is, and how it differs from regular bodybuilding movements.

Go read a damn book on it.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

^^bears repeating.

Why do I always see guys put their feet up on the bench or have their feet in the air? How would that help?

Edit to add I think she is awesome
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

^^bears repeating.

Why do I always see guys put their feet up on the bench or have their feet in the air? How would that help?

Edit to add I think she is awesome

it doesnt help.