Should women powerlift/ Lift heavy weights?

Options

Replies

• Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of this OP. But to be totally honest.

My fiance is not a fan of when I lift. He's one of those who thinks I'm going to get "ripped". I show him photos of some of my amazing friends and what they have achieved, and it's not for him

THAT SAID he knows I like to lift, he knows I want to lift. He knows it makes me happy and he's not going to try to "stop me" or "tell me I'm not allowed" that's freaking ridiculous.

good man
  • wblovelace
    Options
    So, the men looked okay but the woman were "pushing too hard"? Uh, wow okay.

Seriously, this is borderline sexist. Just stop.
  • wblovelace
    Options
    295616_349417885163726_1136630262_n.jpg

^this is the only reason why a man wouldnt want a woman lifting heavy in the gym with them... they are scared they are going to get showed up!

Just goes to show...his form is not that good... no shelf for the bar. He needs to bring his grip a bit narrower...pffft...men!
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    I LOVE lifting. I do hear crap from some of the guys at the gym, more like joking, but I let it roll off and not wrry about it.

My husband on the other hand, doesnt seem to like me lifting. Tells me that I want to have abs and have ripped muscles.
    No, I want to lift because it makes me stronger, feel better about myself. I don't care if I get abs, I would love to have toned arms and legs.
    His worries are not going to stop me because I know they are crap.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

I'm sorry.... allowed?? WTH.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    "Allowed to" is going to have me fired up all day. I then to say they are "trying too hard'
    WTF???
    What kind of world would we live in if women (or people in general) werent ALLOWED to TRY TOO HARD?
    :explode:
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    No, your uterus will fall out.

(notsrs)

Oh, thank god! Imma put another 45 plate on tonight...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't let them.

Workout DVDs and stuff like that are fine but really . . . women shouldn't be allowed in the gym (unless of course their doing that one machine that just wiggles their feet back and forth).
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The simple answer ladies is to put a sock in your underwear and strap the chest down. Oh and forget the make up :-P
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Totes. Women don't belong in the gym esp the freeweight section. They should be at home raising the kids and doing all the cooking and cleaning. Oh, and have a cold drink ready for me when I get home from work.

Lol I would drop a weight on your toe :P haha

If my boyfriend said that to me there'd be no more babies because I'd be dropping a heavy weight on something super sensitive lol
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    The simple answer ladies is to put a sock in your underwear and strap the chest down. Oh and forget the make up :-P

Would a sex change help? I'm just wondering if its something about having a penis that enables you to lift more than a barbie dumbell? Either way I'm not sure my husband would allow that either... I'd best go cook dinner!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    WTF. It might be the steroids talking but I have the strong feeling of putting a 30 pounds dumbbell up yours.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as a particular person can handle the weight without injury, I do not see any problem with anyone doing power lifting... It seems that some people feel that there are certain exercises that only men should do and others that some people feel only women should do... They are wrong...

Look at me, I am not into power lifting, I prefer Zumba, hip-hop fitness, or generic cardio dance and some people think that I am weird... It should not matter how anyone works out at all... People should be allowed to do the form of exercise that they like the most...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So, the men looked okay but the woman were "pushing too hard"? Uh, wow okay.

Seriously, this is borderline sexist. Just stop.

Borderline?

Worst part is that the OP is a woman.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I would say as long as a particular person can handle the weight without injury, I do not see any problem with anyone doing power lifting... It seems that some people feel that there are certain exercises that only men should do and others that some people feel only women should do... They are wrong...

Look at me, I am not into power lifting, I prefer Zumba, hip-hop fitness, or generic cardio dance and some people think that I am weird... It should not matter how anyone works out at all... People should be allowed to do the form of exercise that they like the most...

And your wife allows you to dance??? I'm shocked! :noway:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

I strongly suspect that MFP plants these postings just to get everyone annoyed and participating.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I haven't read past the first page, and I'm sure you've already been told this, but I must say it again:

Are you serious? You simply can't be.

ALLOWED to? Encouraged to stop?

By WHOM?

Last time I checked, I was the boss of ME.

I lift heavy , and it's all about ME.

Period.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Is your next question going to be if women should be allowed to vote?
  • Sefrick
    Sefrick Posts: 11
    Options
    Not sure if this was posted already, but this sums up my answer:

17-Year-Old Girl Does Crazy Workout In The Gym. That Alot Of Guys Can't Do!
    http://youtu.be/du2OeSTeWsY
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Totes. Women don't belong in the gym esp the freeweight section. They should be at home raising the kids and doing all the cooking and cleaning. Oh, and have a cold drink ready for me when I get home from work.

Someone smacked the words right out of my mouth.
This discussion has been closed.