Should women powerlift/ Lift heavy weights?

Options

Replies

• NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you're not trolling then you're ignorant. Worry about your own workout and nothing else while at the gym.
    You're obviously insecure in yourself and/or underestimate the female gender. Either... Just stop it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't like being in the 'mens' free weights part of the gym because of small minded comments like these!

If a women chooses to lift heavy weights, thats her choice and her efforts should not be demeaned by other women or received sexest comments from other men!

So much of what people do is to fall in line with what expected of them. If everyone just excepted everyone the way they were this whole planet would be a better place.

SO PETTY :(

I hope you realise that here at least the only person who has this opinion is the op. Everyone else is being sarcastic I just can't tell from your post if the men's sexist comment refer to this thread.

Sorry just in general, I actually come onto the community today to find women who were into heavy lifting as I've just really started to take an interest in it and I'm finding the critism hard. But I come on and I see THIS post :(

Don't let one ignorant OP dissuade you from lifting. It is so empowering and has awesome benefits. I linked the stronglifts group and eat train progress earlier in the thread, I'd suggest you go check those out. :flowerforyou:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Wow 7 pages later...

Ok maybe "allowed" wasn't the right term to use. What I mean't was for safetly is there a certain limit for women when they should stop... biologically can women life like men. I'm not however apologising for my comment :/

And no not a troll.

there is a limit to how much any human being of any gender can lift, it's determined by their current level of strength, and the amount they can increase their strength by depends on their genetic potential. However there are no special rules that only apply to women. Men can injure themselves by lifting weight that are too heavy for their current level of strength, or if their form is bad. Men are not invulnerable to injury.

women are not a special case, women follow the same safety rules as men for lifting, including the fact that the amount of weight you should use is dependent on your current level of strength.

Anyone who lifts heavy weights without paying attention to good form and basic safety will get hurt.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    If you're not trolling then you're ignorant. Worry about your own workout and nothing else while at the gym.
    You're obviously insecure in yourself and/or underestimate the female gender. Either... Just stop it.
    This.

OP, don't hate just because these women are out lifting you.
  • BIRDIEBL8
    BIRDIEBL8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OMG They make pink ones? Where can one buy these please! Mine are all ugly & kinda grey colored but I like my bar cause when I dust it with pledge it looks kinda all sparkley.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Women in the gym? Next they're going to want to vote and own property.
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Stupid people should not breed!!!!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    You may not be a troll, but you have no idea about inner strength and determination or the joy that comes with lifting.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

Wow! Should we be allowed to? Well since I started lifting more than barbie weights I have lost 15% body fat! It's supposed to be hard. I feel kind of offended that you think women can't do what men can do..... Total stereo type! Oh and btw please don't even try to say it will make you bulky. Just once I'd like to see a woman do her research on that seriously just once.....

I age with this.. Wtf "allowed to" we the ones that push children out. Im lifting and i have slimmed down quite a bit and last about 3 percent bf in 1.5 months. "allowed to" ill be damned if someone truss to tell me i can or can't do something. And getting "bulky" lmao.. Really? I love when pppl say that. I ask, do i look bulky? Umm.. No. . I think this is totally a ridiculous thread. . Oh so, maybe i should ask my hubby for permission to cook supper. Lol
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    allowed to? :laugh:

i don't really condone it, but as long as their husband or boyfriend signs the permission slip, i think it's ok. :laugh:

Can my daddy sign it?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow 7 pages later...

Ok maybe "allowed" wasn't the right term to use. What I mean't was for safetly is there a certain limit for women when they should stop... biologically can women life like men. I'm not however apologising for my comment :/

And no not a troll.

You think the word 'allowed' was the only thing in your post that was ridiculous? Really? After all the explanations and comments?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    As long as all the chores are done and no men are using the equipment then I suppose its OK. :glasses:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

QFT,
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The answer is that you should mind you own business. Woman should lift heavy... why not? You are probably just intimidated that they can lift more than you.... sounds like a personal problem.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Wow 7 pages later...

And no not a troll.

There are limits for each person, male or female. Everyone should take care with pushing limits or risk injuring themselves. On the other hand, I feel much less likely to get injured when I'm out and about in every day life because of strength training. My body does a better job all around when it is stronger. My balance is better, my confidence is better, my energy and concentration are better, I'm better equipped to take on what the world throws at me. I have more ability to take care of myself and not need to ask someone else to do it for me or to risk injuring myself doing something that I would easily be able to do had I just spent a little time looking after my strength.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    There is no one upper limit for weight for each gender. Where the hell did the notion they need to stop at a certain weight come from? Strength training is about progression. It also looks very bloody difficult to onlookers, because if you're doing it right, it IS very bloody difficult and you WILL look like you're straining.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

THIS times 100!!!
  • smazzyuk
    smazzyuk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha ! get back to the kitchen wench
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love the quote from the book - New Rules of Lifting for Women, "Lift like a man, look like a goddess!"
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym this morning and there were a few women milling around the weight rooms and lifting pretty heavy weights.

I just wondered what people thought of women doing this? Weather they should be allowed to? or encouraged to stop after a certain weight?

I only say this as I think some women try and "prove" they can lift heavy and end up with injuries etc.

Whats your thoughts?

Absolutely, there should be a law against it. Women lifting weights? Ugh what next...going out to work, looking a male in the eye??!

This could really get out of hand, something needs to be done asap
This discussion has been closed.