13 year old girl benches 240 lbs

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    1) That's impressive as hell.

2) Her position on the bench is rock solid. Yes, it is extreme.

Those who say it's "bad form" --- apply some context. She's a powerlifter, and quite frankly she's doing a great job of it.

You are SUPPOSED to arch your back and pin your shoulders back into the bench, butt stays on the bench. If you're the guy with your legs in the air or lower back pressed flat into the bench, you're doing it wrong, and good luck with your shoulders.

^^bears repeating.

Why do I always see guys put their feet up on the bench or have their feet in the air? How would that help?

Some people have to do it as they have back issues. Other than that - no idea.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Those who say it's "bad form" --- apply some context. She's a powerlifter, and quite frankly she's doing a great job of it.

You are SUPPOSED to arch your back and pin your shoulders back into the bench, butt stays on the bench. If you're the guy with your legs in the air or lower back pressed flat into the bench, you're doing it wrong, and good luck with your shoulders.

^^bears repeating.

Why do I always see guys put their feet up on the bench or have their feet in the air? How would that help?

Edit to add I think she is awesome

To work the core/balancing ability??? lol I wish I knew, but that's my guess.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    90% of the people that not only responded to THIS post but also the ones on Youtube have absolutely NO clue how powerlifting is, and how it differs from regular bodybuilding movements.

Go read a damn book on it.

Yep. I have a feeling a lot of the posters on here were repeating what they had seen on the youtube page.
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    my new idol
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    90% of the people that not only responded to THIS post but also the ones on Youtube have absolutely NO clue how powerlifting is, and how it differs from regular bodybuilding movements.

Yep. I have a feeling a lot of the posters on here were repeating what they had seen on the youtube page.

Happy 10,000 posts Sara!

dancing-cat-o.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

^^bears repeating.

Because putting your feet up forces the lower back flat and prevents arch. Zero arch increases rom.

The problem is that it also increases stress on the shoulder girdle, it removes ALL stability on the bench, it removes ALL leg drive and core tension, and it reduces the load you can bench substantially.

I'm not suggesting people try and bend like this girl in the vid, but some back arch, leg drive, stability, tightness, all lead to bigger bench poundage. And lifting heavy *kitten* is a good way to achieve hypertrophy too.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    WOW
  • Thepinkdaisy
    Options
    IT IS SAD!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

This is good advice.

But, wouldn't it be nice if everyone in the world educated themselves on every issue. Unfortunately they don't and wouldn't even be able to begin to understand what all the issues would even be (beyond their own life experiences). The only option is to attempt to provide information when you can (if provided in a way that people can see the intelligence, feel compelled to listen and learn than it is all the more effective...as Side Steel is doing now). There is always going to be ignorance combined with people that want to know it all and think they are experts on everything, so they are unwilling to feel uninformed. You can't even begin to fathom the impact this has on the world when it comes to all the many serious issues that people know nothing about.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

^^bears repeating.

Because putting your feet up forces the lower back flat and prevents arch. Zero arch increases rom.

The problem is that it also increases stress on the shoulder girdle, it removes ALL stability on the bench, it removes ALL leg drive and core tension, and it reduces the load you can bench substantially.

I'm not suggesting people try and bend like this girl in the vid, but some back arch, leg drive, stability, tightness, all lead to bigger bench poundage. And lifting heavy *kitten* is a good way to achieve hypertrophy too.

Putting your feet up is intended to isolate the chest. But like stated above, it has issues. It also reduces the bench from a full compound movement to semi-isolated. Wendel and Rip both teach some arching.

She's strong. Bravo!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    As a newbie to the barbell bench press I have been studying form by watching videos and reading. I have one shoulder that is "loose" in the socket so it is something I have to be very careful with. I am amazed at how much arching my back, keeping my core tight, squeezing my shoulder blades and pushing with my legs has kept me from having any problems with my shoulder. My second time with the bench press I did 95lbs 5x5. Not bad for a newbie girl. This girl inspires me to push even harder. I think she's awesome.

ETA: lots of Riptoe videos and reading
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Well hopefully you've learned something. It would be nice if those mother hen instincts were calibrated to distinguish between actual dangerous behavior and excellent form and human accomplishment that should be commended.

Lol. Yes, I have learned that I don't have the stomach for watching powerlifting competitions!

I'm afraid that there is no way for me to calibrate my mother hen instincts other than through direct experience or direct instruction.

I stand corrected.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Woah.

Also. She is freaking awesome. Good for her.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is quite an accomplishment for a 13 year old

I'm not going to comment about her form because I don't know enough to and I'll just assume she's been taught by trainers who know what's best for her (otherwise how'd she end up here).
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes, amazing!
    My concern was why is a 13yr old lifting that heavy. At this age most teenagers haven't completed puberty and heavy lifting can damage the growth of their bones.
    Take care if you're going to encourage your teen to lift heavy.

I am curious, can you please link to research that says that?

Sorry, I don't have a specific link.
    As a Health Proffessional with experience in the Exercise industry (personal and Proffessional) this is what I know.
    Lifting heavy (or high impact sports such as gymnastics) in children can disrupt the growth plates of their bones. This can cause the bone to either fracture (worst case scenario) or stimulate the growth plate to fuse.
    Obviously, this is dependent on age, current growth, and the weight being used.
    Recommendation for pre pubescent children lifting is light to moderate weight and higher reps (12-15/set.)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Someone please explain to me why this form would be appropriate. Seems to me like a blow out waiting to happen.

That's pretty much typical powerlifter form. Her arch is definitely more pronounced, I guess young girls are flexible. But it's normal and expected. Go youtube "so you think you can bench". Any competitive powerlifter looks like that.

Now I Know.

I am certainly not of the powerlifter category, and good on her for doing it. I will admit I may overthink when it comes to form. This one made me go hmm,