Shakeology Vrs Slim fast?

Options

Replies

• Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I simply make my own, that way I know exactly what is going into my protien shake. I use a good quality protien powder, lots of fruits and fat free yogurt. I can't see spending the money for shakeology or slim fast when I can control what I am using at home.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    The first ingredient of Slim-Fast is sugar. Of course it tastes good, but why would you want to drink it for nutritional purposes?
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    There really is no comparison between Shakeology and Slim Fast. Everything found in Shakeology is from whole or raw food sources. All the vitamins and minerals come from those super foods. Everything in Slim Fast is chemically processed and man made. I guess if your not big into where your food comes from then it doesn't matter, but you pretty much get what you pay for :)

I don't use shakeology, but this smart individual makes the exact same point I was going to make. Slim fast may "fill" you, but it really is void of nutritional value whereas shakeology is loaded with nutrients you need to fuel your body. I won't argue with you on taste, because I don't use either, but they aren't comparable healthwise.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity - everyone who touts real food over shakes, do you supplement with whey protein?

Yes but I would never say use it instead of a meal - I just use it to get some quick protein in after my weight workouts and sometimes help me meet my protein goals - If I could afford all food protein instead I'd do that.

totally - but that's my point. for you it's 1) more convenient and 2) cost effective

shakeology is all about getting a mega shot of nutrients in a convenient way. yeah the per-serving cost is higher, but you're also getting more.

conceptually, however, they're the same.
    So I hear there's this new invention called a vitamin pill, anyone try it?
  • acrowder99
    acrowder99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    And what's the problem with eating real food? :wink: My friend has been using Slim Fast for years now and all she's lost is a load of money and the ability to enjoy life!

This ^^^^^

I drink a protein shake but it's not a meal replacement, it's an after-workout shake that I make up myself to get more protein & calories when I am not super hungry but could use a little something.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

yyyeaaahhhh that's not an ingredient list buddy.

You said Nutrition facts... he gave you nutrition facts.... buddy.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity - everyone who touts real food over shakes, do you supplement with whey protein?

Yes but I would never say use it instead of a meal - I just use it to get some quick protein in after my weight workouts and sometimes help me meet my protein goals - If I could afford all food protein instead I'd do that.

totally - but that's my point. for you it's 1) more convenient and 2) cost effective

shakeology is all about getting a mega shot of nutrients in a convenient way. yeah the per-serving cost is higher, but you're also getting more.

does your vitamin contain maca, yakon root, himalayan sea salt, probiotics, antioxidants, luo han guo, sasha inchi, etc, etc, etc?

you don't have to use shakeology, you don't NEED it, yeah it's expensive, but that doesn't mean you can get the same things from a normal multivitamin or protein powder.

just because you don't want to use it, doesn't make it a bad product. guys - I don't even use the damn thing because I can't afford it either, but if I could, I'd still be using it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

yyyeaaahhhh that's not an ingredient list buddy.

You said Nutrition facts... he gave you nutrition facts.... buddy.

he gave me the macronutrient breakdown which is not the same as the full nutrition facts... do i need to add buddy?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

does your vitamin contain maca, yakon root, himalayan sea salt, probiotics, antioxidants, luo han guo, sasha inchi, etc, etc, etc?

you don't have to use shakeology, you don't NEED it, yeah it's expensive, but that doesn't mean you can get the same things from a normal multivitamin or protein powder.

just because you don't want to use it, doesn't make it a bad product. guys - I don't even use the damn thing because I can't afford it either, but if I could, I'd still be using it.

I wonder how nutritional these fancy pants ingredients are when they've been pulverized and only trace amounts are used...I mean many companies will say "contains green tea" or something to that effect and it's a couple of drops in the product which has no real effect on health when most studies on green tea say you need to drink 2-3cups a day as did the participants in studies.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I wonder how nutritional these fancy pants ingredients are when they've been pulverized and only trace amounts are used...I mean many companies will say "contains green tea" or something to that effect and it's a couple of drops in the product which has no real effect on health when most studies on green tea say you need to drink 2-3cups a day as did the participants in studies.

i know, that part is worth looking into and i don't have all the answers - however 1000mg of maca isn't exactly "trace amounts" for example...
  • CoderGal
    Options

I love how you mentioned a bunch of stuff I don't need in my vitamins and followed it up with "you don't need it". Take it from the guy who sells it, you don't need it. I have no problem with people who want to go the lazy route. There's lots of reasons why someone would do that. Why get the expensive one I don't understand. Why not eat food I don't understand...there's lots of convenient foods to eat and cheap vitamins out there. I just don't like seeing people who sell it advertising it on the forums since it's against the rules. And I hate seeing it sold as a healthy option that makes you lose weight. A calorie deficit makes you lose weight. A Vitamin pill is cheaper. I could completely live my life happily without ingesting anything that I can't grow on the island I live on, including himalayan salt lol. And if you don't want to eat clean etc...why not just buy some a protein supplement and pop a vitamin? Much cheaper.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat regular food?

Edit: The whole idea about losing weight is to learn to eat real food in appropriate portion sizes for your body type and size. And to learn what foods do what for you regarding protein, carbs, fats, etc. What happens when you quit drinking those types of products? IMHO you'll gain weight because you haven't relearned/restructured how you eat. What are the ingredients In Shakeology and Slimfast?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

i know, that part is worth looking into and i don't have all the answers - however 1000mg of maca isn't exactly "trace amounts" for example...

It was an example. I know all about pyramid schemes. I used to sell avon. lol
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I prefer food... and yes sometimes I like my food to be drinkable.. but I still like it to be food... I'd rather have a smoothie full of fresh fruit and veggies than a powder..
  • CoderGal
    Options

Yeah we should probably stop. I think we both know better then to argue with the guy who sells it lol :flowerforyou:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I love how you mentioned a bunch of stuff I don't need in my vitamins and followed it up with "you don't need it". Take it from the guy who sells it, you don't need it. I have no problem with people who want to go the lazy route. There's lots of reasons why someone would do that. Why get the expensive one I don't understand. Why not eat food I don't understand...there's lots of convenient foods to eat and cheap vitamins out there. I just don't like seeing people who sell it advertising it on the forums since it's against the rules. And I hate seeing it sold as a healthy option that makes you lose weight. A calorie deficit makes you lose weight. A Vitamin pill is cheaper. I could completely live my life happily without ingesting anything that I can't grow on the island I live on, including himalayan salt lol. And if you don't want to eat clean etc...why not just buy some a protein supplement and pop a vitamin? Much cheaper.

lol because some people see value in foods that you don't see value in. that's fine. to each their own. :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Did somebody just say "Himalayan Sea Salt"?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah we should probably stop. I think we both know better then to argue with the guy who sells it lol :flowerforyou:

i've said i don't actively sell it, i don't even use it, i simply think it's a good product for those who can afford it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

pyramid schemes are illegal.

regardless - don't use it if you don't want to. see how simple that is? :smile:
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has lots of nutrients in it and if you're body is not used to all the goodness then I think it takes awhile to get used to. It also really depends how you prepare your shake. Did you friend give you suggestions for making your sample?

There really is no comparison between Shakeology and Slim Fast. Everything found in Shakeology is from whole or raw food sources. All the vitamins and minerals come from those super foods. Everything in Slim Fast is chemically processed and man made. I guess if your not big into where your food comes from then it doesn't matter, but you pretty much get what you pay for :)

My friend told me to add...

the 1 serving shakeology she gave me
    1 banana
    1-2 tbs of peanut butter
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup water
    6-8 ice cubs
    and 1 tbs of vanilla extract or agave nectar

So you have to take a 4 dollar plus drink and add 4 other ingredients to make it taste good?

Hah. All that stuff will make a great shake by itself without the $4 scoop of Shakeology.
    HAHAHAaaa exactly eat real food that way you dont drink shakes for the rest of your life...