Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Experience is also a learning experience as well. Experience is greater than formal education. For example, who would you rather learn from. A book who teaches you to lose weight, or someone who has already achieved the weight loss you want?
    How about someone who has both an education and successful clients?

Generally I'll go with that too. I just wrote a topic on the biggest loser, how the people are treated pretty bad. Their trainers have a good reputation, but doesn't mean they're doing things the right way.

Is it online? Do you have a link please? Thanks.
  • SRH7
    Options
    Experience is also a learning experience as well. Experience is greater than formal education. For example, who would you rather learn from. A book who teaches you to lose weight, or someone who has already achieved the weight loss you want?
    How about someone who has both an education and successful clients?

Generally I'll go with that too. I just wrote a topic on the biggest loser, how the people are treated pretty bad. Their trainers have a good reputation, but doesn't mean they're doing things the right way.

Sounds contradictory to what you said earlier as you said you'd go with the experience person over a formal education. It seems to me that you are trying to lump up weight loss into one way, your way.

Sound like you're trying to pick a fight! Stick to the OP topic please :smile:
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

No, i am going for "RESULTS" in a healthy way, that's what matters. Someone who already produced them, I would listen to them more than some guy who is educated.

Then you threw in about someone who has clients who have proven results. The trainer knows how to get RESULTS. What I am after.

Both situations are about results.

I agree with you that getting results is what matters but using the word "healthy" is very subjective if you do not have an education. Only someone with a formal education, particularly one that is licensed can tell you what is in fact healthy. Having a license allows one to tell what a diabetic can eat or not eat. They can also tell you if eating below 1200 net calories is in any way considered detrimental to your health as a means to lose weight which is what most of the derailment started from in this topic.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Only someone with a formal education, particularly one that is licensed can tell you what is in fact healthy.

You're joking right? :noway:
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Sound like you're trying to pick a fight! Stick to the OP topic please :smile:

I wasn't the one who wanted to downplay an education over experience in a topic made by someone with a formal education. I merely jumped in to make a correction that the OP has both an education and experience.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Only someone with a formal education, particularly one that is licensed can tell you what is in fact healthy.

Under Texas state law, this is the case as I'm sure many other states have the same type of requirement. A license is a requirement to work inside of hospitals, elementary schools, prisons, and other such social settings. They don't let any hobo off the street tell you what can or can not be served to children you know?
  • SRH7
    Options
    I just wrote a topic on the biggest loser, how the people are treated pretty bad. Their trainers have a good reputation, but doesn't mean they're doing things the right way.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/935771-biggest-loser-the-reality

Thank you!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Under Texas state law, this is the case as I'm sure many other states have the same type of requirement. A license is a requirement to work inside of hospitals, elementary schools, prisons, and other such social settings. They don't let any hobo off the street tell you what can or can not be served to children you know?

That's slightly different to the statement " Only someone with a formal education, particularly one that is licensed can tell you what is in fact healthy" You should have added context if that is what you meant. I can tell people what is healthy.

ps not everyone lives in the USA.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Hello Tony,

What are your top 5 books on nutrition and top 5 books on exercise?
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Marking for later reading! Thanks!
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hello

I have a hypo thryroid problem and take 200 mcg a day. I have struggled with my weight after being sick with Hashimoto's disease about 15 years ago. I work in a stressful job situation and have had trouble losing weight and thought it may be from the situation I'm in.
    I lost 20 pounds on a low carb, low sugar diet and then went off the program and gained the weight back very quickly. Not overeating, just eating more carbs and a little more sugar. When I joined MFP. I was eating 1200 calories and then someone suggested I should recalculate on calories by saying I only want to lose 1 pound a week. MFP recalculated the calories to 1450. I began eating 1450 for four weeks and gained 7 pounds. Then I decided to go back to eating 1200 calories to try to lose the 7 pounds and I have bounced between 223 and 225 for going on two weeks now without losing anything.

What do you suggest I try? Eat lower than 1200? I can't exercise much because of planter's and a bad knee.

Thank you for answering questions. It's very kind of you and informative.

I would recommend that you continue seeing your Dr. on a regular basis to continue to get your thyroxine lvls checked and make sure your meds are working.

You are either gaining weight from 1. water weight from a greater influx of sodium and carbohydrates- in this case things should level out on 1450 calories
    2. too many calories- in this case, you will continue to gain weight steadily over time

Give it a few weeks, and if you're still gaining- you need to reduce calories and be as accurate as possible. I can't stress accuracy and measuring enough!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Do macros matter? Does too much carbs really hinder weight and/or fat loss, or is total calories all that matters? I read somewhere that carbs cause water retention and hence mask weight loss, but in the long run if I keep up with my calorie deficit will I still be a few lbs heavier just because I'm always in a high carb diet?

Also, does eating before sleeping cause bloating especially in the face, even if you're within your caloric goal?

Yes, macros matter. You need to get sufficient proteins and fats for survival and carbs can be useful too. But, you can be somewhat flexible with them.

Eating before bed causing bloating... I believe this would be a very individual thing and depend on what you're eating. If you're in a caloric deficit, it's not a sign of fat gain.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I have a question I would love your thoughts on. I've been at maintenance for 9 months now. I allow myself a 2 pound fluctuation in scale weight. I weigh myself daily and my weight changes but it's almost always within the 2 pounds. It's only exceeded that threshold maybe 2 or 3 times since last July. One of the reasons I keep a tight lid on it is because I learned through my year long MFP journey that I'm very sensitive to sodium. By keeping my sodium intake to around 1500 mg/day, I don't retain extra water and my blood pressure remains in normal limits. Win Win!

Here's what I'm perplexed about. About a month ago, my weight went up about a pound and has stayed there. Normally, when it goes up it goes down in a day or two but now it's staying up at the high end of my 2 pound fluctuation limit. That's completely different from how it's been in the past...my body seems to have found a new "normal".

So, naturally I've been looking for what's changed. Diet and exercise are basically as they've been the last 9 months. (I think I've figured out maintenance). The one striking difference is my water intake. I'm drinking a lot more water the last month than I had before... maybe twice as much? Now 10 to 12 cups a day. I'm wondering if the extra pound might just be water. If I had been slightly dehydrated before, my body might prefer a little extra water. Is that a reasonable theory or am I grasping? I also realize an extra pound a month could also be 50 calories more in food and 50 calories less in exercise a day. Pretty easy to do in wintertime.

I do realize a pound gained isn't a huge deal but it's the change that concerns me.

Thanks!

It could be your scale.

It could also be that you've gained a pound from eating more.

It could also be water weight.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Opinions on low carb, high protein/fat diets?

Like 100g of carbs, lean body weight in protein, and the rest of your calorie needs taken care of by fat?

I just started on this, but Im pretty nervous about it. Just so much fat sounds backwards.

Im 5'11", 218 lbs, about 22% body fat. Been doing Starting Strength as well.

So what Ive been eating is about 100g of carbs, 125g of fat, 210g of protein. About 2500 calories.

You could get by on about .5g fat per pound of lean body mass. So if you wanted to knock down your fats another 5%, you could do that.

Remember that it's total calories that dictate fat loss.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I need nutrition advice in general. I have been told so many different things about if I should now eat on a deficit, maintenance or surplus level. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be eating a surplus, though, so I basically want to know if I should stay on a deficit (if so, how much before it'll impede muscle growth) or maintenance.

I'm 5'7 and about 135lbs - healthy BMI, and now, as vain as it sounds, I'm just working on looking better - I guess lowering bf% (though I don't know what mine currently is). I've started lifting heavy so as to build muscle, but so many people are telling me that lifting will be pointless if I'm eating at a deficit. I think I'd like to be about 125-130 lbs if possible though, so a deficit is necessary - but that being said, I don't know what I'd look like at 135lbs, just with a lower bf%, so maybe I don't need to lose those vanity pounds?

I basically just want some sort of advice on if eating at a deficit will slow the rate of change of body composition - or speed it up? Also, I'm not sure what my macros should be set at - I guess I need to increase my protein intake but I'm such a fruit addict that I generally have quite a large carbohydrate intake just from that, so will I need to cut down on fruit?

Lifting weights is just as important during a deficit as it is during a surplus.

You can go about it 1 of 2 ways
    1. Create a deficit now and lift weights to preserve muscle. You will end up lean with the same amount of muscle

2. Create a surplus and build muscle, continue lifting and create a deficit to shed fat and end up lean with more muscle

it's up to you but you may want to choose #1 if you're trying to do this by summer
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony, I'm 49, 50 in May, I weigh 273 at 5'9 1/2" tall, not sure about my BF. I have been here since Jan and have lost 14lbs on a daily intake if 1700 cals or so. I am trying to get some exercise in and have a treadmill, which I am still to heavy to use, and a Gazelle, that I have been using for about 30 min every 2-3 days. On those days I also lift weights on a Smith Station Gym in my basement. I never really paid attention to my proteins, fats, etc. Recently I went to the Dr and was advised I am pre-diabetic, hence the new diet regime, he also advised that my BP was low so I needed to increase my sodium intake. I now have a canned soup 2-3 times a week as we don't use much salt in my home. I am also on meds for ADHD.

So my question is about supplements, you mentioned Whey protein earlier. Are supplements a good thing, positives and negatives? Can't you get all your nutrition from proper diet? If you already take a multi vitamin will supplements help in other areas?

Thanks,
    Dave (Moj)

supplements are meant to supplement an already healthy diet if you need some extra nutrition.

That being said, life happens and it can be hard to maintain good nutrition without convenience products.

Whey protein is not needed if you get sufficient protein from whole foods. There is nothing special about it. It's just an easy way to bump up your protein.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony!

You ROCK for helping us--Thank you so much, as I find your advice encouraging and inspirational and doable! Okay, here's my question...

I have a home gym machine thingy that has all kinds of weight lifting/strength training do-hickeys on them and it's fantastic, I especially love the rowing machine thingy. It has about 200 pounds of weights connected to these cables (I can put as much or as little weight as I'd like) and I lift about 10 lbs (one little brick when doing my rowing and upper/lower body exercises. I hear than first I should focus on getting this flab and fat offa my body before I start lifting more heavier weight. I've heard if not...I'll be adding muscle under fat and that I shouldn't do that--just get the fat off first...then lift...which is true, what should I do? how much should I lift? 10 pounds feels great...not too heavy, not too light?

Thank you in advance for your reply AND for your patience, intelligent, professional and kindhearted replies to everyone...again, you ROCK sir!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

^this. Sara is trying to get the topic back on track. And to note, Sara has proven time and again her knowledge in the area of health and fitness. She is always willing to research and share that research to help educate all on both sides of an argument.

And maybe I missed this, but how do we really know anyone's qualifications. There was a guy a couple months who got caught in various lies from being a body guard, personal trainer and RN. The last was scary because he was attempting to have people come to him for medical advice.

The thing that irks me is so many people here eat pretty low, netting between. 1000-1200caks but he says he'll recommend lowering that?

From my experience, as well as many others here (and you can view the success thread for this), but many have said that raising their calories helped. Find it hard to believe that many MFP success stories are special snowflakes in regards to this.

Edited to correct typos

1. I list my qualifications and all the programs and formal education I received in my "about me" on my website http://foodandfitnessonline.com/

2. You can also enter my name on the Texas Dept of Health Services website to retrieve verification of my license as a dietitian in the state of TX http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/dietitian/default.shtm

3. People may eat more and lose weight (more likely "think" they are eating more and losing weight) because when it comes down it it, they are creating a deficit. I cannot stress enough how inaccurate MFP can be (largely due to user error, misestimations, guessing at foods and meals, not measuring) but also I've seen inaccuracies in the entries.
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I have a question regarding sugar..... I am always really good with my calories.. always equal or lower then my calorie goal, however I always seem to go over in my sugar. The only sugar I purposely eat is I allow myself 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee other then that I eat fruit, but such as watermelon, it has high sugar. Does sugar burn off fast with excercise? I have cut out alot in my diet that i would normally eat (I have a major sweet tooth) but it seems like everything has sugar in it even the healthy foods. what can I do to reduce my sugar ? or should I really concern myself with the sugar if my calories are good. I dont know if I should keep doing what I am doing or focus more on the sugars.... I am deployed so my food is limited, but I am trying.

Sugar by itself doesn't dictate fat loss or gain. That is determined by your net calories.

You can allow between 10-20% of your total caloric to come from "discretionary calories" which means you definitely have room for sugar.