Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions using your knowledge and experience. My questions are threefold - not necessarily for myself but to open a door for others who have already asked and may ask in the future.

Can you tell us all a bit more about the connection between aspartame (from soda, gum, sweeteners, etc) and possible links to health problems? Also what are options for people who want to sweeten things without using traditional sugar or artificial sweeteners? I use stevia and am a big advocate for it - would you also be able to tell us more about where stevia comes from and whether you would recommend stevia to your clients over other options such as the traditional ones (again sugar, sweeteners)

Thanks again.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony! Fellow north Texan here :)

I'm 26, 5'7, medium build, 168lbs. My body type is between meso/endomorph... I have alot more muscle tone than most women my age / height/ weight, and I gain muscle easy... I just have the WORST time trying to lose fat. :( I gained about 15 lbs in less than 6 months after my wedding... and it has just stayed there for the past year and half. My goal is 150 by July.

So far I'm cutting my calories to 1500 or less each day. For fitness I am starting off slow with 30 minutes of running and 30 min of lunges, abs, arms 3x per week.

Should I try to eat less calories than this to reach my goal by July? I was starting off at 1200 but didn't see results. One of the MFP forums suggested I up my calories so thats why I'm starting at 1500.

Also, Do you think I need a different work out plan? Appreciate your help! (P.S. I cant wait for this cold front to leave DFW so I can get outside!)
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is very nice what you're doing! I have a question for my husband actually:

He despises heavy protein diets. He doesn't like a lot of meat and won't go near protein shakes. He won't even try them. It's just a stubborn thing, but I can't force him. He insists protein don't make him feel full but carbs do. His daily protein ends up being pretty low as a result. I personally follow the 1g per lean body weight rule and generally see that being recommended, but does it really matter if it's lower (say, 20-40g on a 200 pound 5'3" man) so long as he's in the calorie range for weight loss?

The few times he's tried dieting with me he immediately gets so discouraged by all the protein. He's OK cutting back calories, but not adding protein. I don't want to keep discouraging him if this is unnecessary!

If it matters at all, he's pretty inactive. He has very severe asthma to the point of having attacks multiple times a week, and while he tries to work out (lift weights) with me every now and then, just warming up or doing one set gives him an asthma attack so that's difficult. Basically, weight loss is 100% diet for him, not working out, and there's no growing muscles to worry about needing protein for.

That sounds rough. Hopefully he can control his asthma with medication?

As long as he can reduce calories, he will lose weight. If eating 1g per pound BW protein will discourage him too much, then that's simply not going to work for him. Nothing wrong with that.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions using your knowledge and experience. My questions are threefold - not necessarily for myself but to open a door for others who have already asked and may ask in the future.

Can you tell us all a bit more about the connection between aspartame (from soda, gum, sweeteners, etc) and possible links to health problems? Also what are options for people who want to sweeten things without using traditional sugar or artificial sweeteners? I use stevia and am a big advocate for it - would you also be able to tell us more about where stevia comes from and whether you would recommend stevia to your clients over other options such as the traditional ones (again sugar, sweeteners)

Thanks again.

I've done a lot of research on sweeteners and I haven't seen anything convincing that would negate my recommendation to enjoy them in place of sugar if you're trying to cut calories. The connection to harmful effects is weak and not founded in science that can be replicated in humans in any reasonable amounts.

Alternatives to sugar are stevia, aspartame, saccarine, asulphate K, sucralose, and sugar alcohols like xyletol.

Stevia comes from an extraction of the stevia plant. It's a good sugar substitute if you enjoy it. I have a bottle of it myself. You can also buy little stevia plants from your local plant store and grow your own. I did this last year and it was fun. I never ate it though.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello Tony!

I've been debating taking a creatine suppliment to go along with my workouts. I'm currently doing the Insanity workout, with intentions of graduating to Body Beast or just the good old fashion gym w/ cardio workouts on off days.

What are your thoughts on using creatine as a recovery supplement to boost HIIT effects? Can I expect to see any difference at all with interval training and recovery, or is this best left for packing on muscle?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

I'm 26, 5'7, medium build, 168lbs. My body type is between meso/endomorph... I have alot more muscle tone than most women my age / height/ weight, and I gain muscle easy... I just have the WORST time trying to lose fat. :( I gained about 15 lbs in less than 6 months after my wedding... and it has just stayed there for the past year and half. My goal is 150 by July.

So far I'm cutting my calories to 1500 or less each day. For fitness I am starting off slow with 30 minutes of running and 30 min of lunges, abs, arms 3x per week.

Should I try to eat less calories than this to reach my goal by July? I was starting off at 1200 but didn't see results. One of the MFP forums suggested I up my calories so thats why I'm starting at 1500.

Also, Do you think I need a different work out plan? Appreciate your help! (P.S. I cant wait for this cold front to leave DFW so I can get outside!)

Whatever caloric value you choose, start weighing and measuring your foods and eating ingredients that will be easy and accurate on MFP. Then go from there. Cut more if you have to, but make sure you're being accurate. Also, give your body a few weeks to adapt before you decide whether or not it's workign for you.

If you want an optimal workout plan, I would recommend engaging in a heavy weight training barbell program 3x per week and incorporating high intensity interval training somewhere in there.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hello Tony!

I've been debating taking a creatine suppliment to go along with my workouts. I'm currently doing the Insanity workout, with intentions of graduating to Body Beast or just the good old fashion gym w/ cardio workouts on off days.

What are your thoughts on using creatine as a recovery supplement to boost HIIT effects? Can I expect to see any difference at all with interval training and recovery, or is this best left for packing on muscle?

Creatine is safe and effective. It can help you get a couple extra repetitions out of a set. You may gain a small bit of weight from supplementing with creatine from the extra water.

My vote is to get a gym membership and start lifting.
  • snooj
    snooj Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is very nice what you're doing! I have a question for my husband actually:

He despises heavy protein diets. He doesn't like a lot of meat and won't go near protein shakes. He won't even try them. It's just a stubborn thing, but I can't force him. He insists protein don't make him feel full but carbs do. His daily protein ends up being pretty low as a result. I personally follow the 1g per lean body weight rule and generally see that being recommended, but does it really matter if it's lower (say, 20-40g on a 200 pound 5'3" man) so long as he's in the calorie range for weight loss?

The few times he's tried dieting with me he immediately gets so discouraged by all the protein. He's OK cutting back calories, but not adding protein. I don't want to keep discouraging him if this is unnecessary!

If it matters at all, he's pretty inactive. He has very severe asthma to the point of having attacks multiple times a week, and while he tries to work out (lift weights) with me every now and then, just warming up or doing one set gives him an asthma attack so that's difficult. Basically, weight loss is 100% diet for him, not working out, and there's no growing muscles to worry about needing protein for.

That sounds rough. Hopefully he can control his asthma with medication?

As long as he can reduce calories, he will lose weight. If eating 1g per pound BW protein will discourage him too much, then that's simply not going to work for him. Nothing wrong with that.

Awesome, that's what we'll do then. Just focus on the calories. Thanks!

His asthma's been controlled in the past, but the amount of medication is so high that it's bad for him. He's had to routinely get steroids pumped out of his system, so he's had to find some middle ground. This is what started the weight gain to begin with!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I have a question about white rice vs brown rice. I thought brown rice was much better nutritionally, but I've also read something recently that disputes that. Because the majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull and the hull is indigestible, the body can't digest and absorb the nutrients in brown rice. Since white rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, it's a better choice nutritionally.

It's very confusing. Could you set the record straight? Thanks!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Hello Tony,

What are your top 5 books on nutrition and top 5 books on exercise?

I really liked Nancy Clark's "Sports Nutrition". I like to check out PUBMED.gov for reviews to get quick ideas on topics, also I like reading bodyrecomposition.com

Books: Non-linear periodization by Fleck and Kraemer, Essentials of Strength and Conditioning by the NSCA, Rippetoes' Practical Programing, and Mark Boyle's book on Functional Training.
    Thank you. I must have this knowledge now.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    I have a question about white rice vs brown rice. I thought brown rice was much better nutritionally, but I've also read something recently that disputes that. Because the majority of the nutrients in brown rice are in the hull and the hull is indigestible, the body can't digest and absorb the nutrients in brown rice. Since white rice is far more bioavailable than brown rice, it's a better choice nutritionally.

Brown rice just has a slightly higher fiber and vitamin/mineral content. If you're satisfying your fiber and micronutrients elsewhere, there is nothing wrong with choosing a refined version of a grain or plant, including rice.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks again.

I've done a lot of research on sweeteners and I haven't seen anything convincing that would negate my recommendation to enjoy them in place of sugar if you're trying to cut calories. The connection to harmful effects is weak and not founded in science that can be replicated in humans in any reasonable amounts.

Alternatives to sugar are stevia, aspartame, saccarine, asulphate K, sucralose, and sugar alcohols like xyletol.

Stevia comes from an extraction of the stevia plant. It's a good sugar substitute if you enjoy it. I have a bottle of it myself. You can also buy little stevia plants from your local plant store and grow your own. I did this last year and it was fun. I never ate it though.

Interesting answer about the aspartame! There are a lot of studies done over time that are concerning since many suggest a link to aneurysms, heart problems, etc. Most of us here probably don't consume enough to be too worried about it but I am sure there are others out there that do.

Fantastic answer in general, thank you! :smile:
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Ok, guys. I can't accept any more friends on MFP. I appreciate the gesture, but I can't.

Follow me on facebook if you want to keep in touch. http://www.facebook.com/Foodandfitness

Also, please ask your questions on this thread and don't private message me. Give everyone a chance to see or give input on good questions.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Brown rice just has a slightly higher fiber and vitamin/mineral content. If you're satisfying your fiber and micronutrients elsewhere, there is nothing wrong with choosing a refined version of a grain or plant, including rice.

That is an awesome question.. is there a difference between starch content in white rice vs that in brown and other kinds of rice? I have avoided white rice due to the thinking that white is likely to be refined just like with white flour, white bread, etc,
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Whatever caloric value you choose, start weighing and measuring your foods and eating ingredients that will be easy and accurate on MFP. Then go from there. Cut more if you have to, but make sure you're being accurate. Also, give your body a few weeks to adapt before you decide whether or not it's workign for you.

If you want an optimal workout plan, I would recommend engaging in a heavy weight training barbell program 3x per week and incorporating high intensity interval training somewhere in there.

Thank you! Great idea on the HIIT and heavy barbells. Maybe I'll swap that out with what I currently have planned.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

That is an awesome question.. is there a difference between starch content in white rice vs that in brown and other kinds of rice? I have avoided white rice due to the thinking that white is likely to be refined just like with white flour, white bread, etc,

In terms of starch (carbohydrate) content of white and brown rice, they are very comparable per volume. It's really not a significant difference.

White rice is refined (polished) and the husk is removed. There's nothing wrong with refined products though if you're meeting all your nutrition goals by the end of the day. I personally eat white rice very regularly.
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Reposting because I have not gotten a reply; and I have read this whole thread and the last one:

Thank you for answering our questions.

1) What do you think of the 5-2 intermittent training program (Something like 'The Fast Diet')? I have decided to fast every weekend to control myself from eating excess junk but I am not sure.

2) I have read that after 4-5 weeks you should change your workout/intensity because your body gets used to the workout and you don't lose fat anymore. How often do you recommend people change their workout?

3) Some people say that if you are not losing weight you should increase the amount of calories you increase because it means you are starving yourself. (According to this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013). It's confusing. Should I try it out if I am not losing weight or should I keep decreasing my calories?

4) Also, does it matter what time a person eats dinner and sleeps? For example, is it fine if a person eats dinner and then sleeps immediately without exercising a little or allowing the food to digest?

Please reply. I have been waiting for a reply since the previous thread. But, I will be patient. Also, if you have already answered my questions in a previous thread, let me know and I will read back.

Thank you for your time!
  • Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tony,

Thanks again.

Is Splenda fine too then?
  • peppytwist
    peppytwist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 30 years old. I currently weigh 275 pounds. Obviously I am here to lose weight. I understand that weight loss boils down to simply calories in vs. calories out. In order to lose weight I need to eat fewer calories. So does sleep really matter when you are trying to lose weight? If so, how does a lack of sleep interfere? I have battled insomnia and other sleep problems my entire life. I have been to the doctor and several specialists and still have problems sleeping more often than not. I'm not looking for information on how to sleep as I am sure I have heard it all. Is there anything I can do as far as diet/nutrition goes in order to keep my irregular sleeping patterns from interfering with weight loss? Does meal timing matter? Should I be more extreme in my calorie deficit? Eat more protein? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Reposting because I have not gotten a reply; and I have read this whole thread and the last one:

Thank you for answering our questions.

1) What do you think of the 5-2 intermittent training program (Something like 'The Fast Diet')? I have decided to fast every weekend to control myself from eating excess junk but I am not sure.

2) I have read that after 4-5 weeks you should change your workout/intensity because your body gets used to the workout and you don't lose fat anymore. How often do you recommend people change their workout?

3) Some people say that if you are not losing weight you should increase the amount of calories you increase because it means you are starving yourself. (According to this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013). It's confusing. Should I try it out if I am not losing weight or should I keep decreasing my calories?

4) Also, does it matter what time a person eats dinner and sleeps? For example, is it fine if a person eats dinner and then sleeps immediately without exercising a little or allowing the food to digest?

Please reply. I have been waiting for a reply since the previous thread. But, I will be patient. Also, if you have already answered my questions in a previous thread, let me know and I will read back.

Thank you for your time!

1. I think that a daily moderate calorie deficit is more conducive to a lifestyle change and better at teaching moderation

2. I recommend changing your workouts about once per month

3. If your weight loss stalls it's because you're not maintaining a deficit. You can increase your deficit in either nutrition or exercise or both?

4. It doesn't matter what time you eat and go to sleep