What NOT to say to a bride....

Options
1235»

Replies

• HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    The minute after you tell them you got engaged that morning and the first thing that comes out of their mouth, "Have you set a date?" Um, well, we have been engaged for an hour, but yes we have all the plans set and booked and you can expect your invitation tomorrow. Really people!

you would be surprised I knew a girl who set a date before she met her husband, she was getting married may 5th no matter what.

Yep, I knew one of those, too. She had the day picked out many, many years before she met her husband to be.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good one - "So and So slept with your fiance"

And for mine- "We should hurry, the hurricane is getting close."
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    "I'm working double shift tonight"
  • baby72500
    Options
    I had one family of 5 get all bent out of shape that they hadnt received an invitation yet, so even though we hadnt origionally planned on having them, we went ahead and invited them. They are sorta family of family but we're not close with them, but what ever..... so one week before the wedding we confirmed with everyone and they we're most definatly all going to be there.... I havent seen or heard from them since. No show no call nothing...... which is honestly is fine by me cause at $80 a plate Im a little ticked....
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

**Note: I also hate all the "I'm the bride, it's my day!" BS. It's not your day. It's your and your husband's day.

Halleloo. This is precisely why we eloped. Got married in a hot air balloon with nobody around but my husband and the pilot. And because I didn't want to spend $30,000 to entertain and feed everyone else. No thanks!

Exactly!! We were married las weekend, at home, with only immediate family and my close friend from work. We had a catered brunch which we got a great deal on and only had fresh cut flowers and a balloon bouquet for decorations. It was casual and easy!!!!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    call me when the divorce is final...
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Don't call the bride to be a bunch of filthy names because they're planning a destination wedding, and you can't afford it. The whole point of getting married in Mexico, is to have as few people there as possible. You already know that there's going to be party at home, come to that. You're her sister you hateful person, act like it!!!
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Brides are annoying. Nobody cares about your fu$king wedding.

Doesn't like brides.
    Reads thread about brides.

Yup, trolling troll is a troll.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    We had a family member ask for us to recommend a hotel that was pet friendly for when he came to the wedding. The wedding was in a small town, so there weren't a lot of choices to start with. We visited a number of places and recommended the best one. It was basic, but clean, had rooms available on the 1st floor, was close to the wedding venue, reasonably priced, and had cable and a mini fridge. He complained because it wasn't a nice as the place most of the family stayed at (which was not pet friendly but was much higher quality).

He also would not shut up during the family photo with the professional photographer. This was frustrating because his mouth was wide open in a lot of the shots and he was wasting time when we didn't have much to waste. The photographer and other family in the photo asked him repeatedly to stop turning around and talking and laughing, but he was "being a pill." I (the bride) finally snapped at him to "Look at the camera, shut up and smile." It worked and he stopped yapping long enough to get a couple good shots for our parents and grandparents. I felt bad about snapping at him, but was told to forget about it because it was necessary on my part--he was in the wrong.

I was really not happy to hear--from another uncle after the reception and a number of beers--that he was glad I was finally an "honest woman." (referring to the fact that I had lived with my fiance before we even got engaged) Considering that he had been through a nasty divorce that was hell for his daughter, remarried his ex, and that he and his wife were noticeably intoxicated and a bit obnoxious, I rather thought I probably had the moral upper hand and that he had no business commenting on my sex life. To this, I just replied "good night" and walked away. I ranted about it to my husband a bit though.

I was actually glad to hear "What do you think about me wearing this?" from my mother-in-law. Hubby and I were glad to suggest something a bit less bold than her normal fashion. We didn't tell her what to wear specifically, but pointed out that the rainbow leopard print she was considering would be the "boldest" dress in every photo. She took the hint and looked great on the wedding day.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Except whether or not there is an open bar. That's all I care about.

THIS!!!! All fu*cking year long!
  • BBinNC
    BBinNC Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you're being rude, overbearing, unreasonably demanding and self centered, I don't care if you're a bride or the King of Siam, I'm going to call you out on it.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    "Oooo I can't wait to be in your wedding ... ".... Umm... you're in the wedding? o really? umm... no....

and my favorite

" how much is this all costing you? - your parents are paying for it right?!" - umm.. sorry, that's private, and actually we're doing this pretty much all on our own...

The first, yeah... I can see the problem there...

The second though... speaking as a former Bridesmaid who is broke bumpkin' poor. If you ask someone to be a part of your wedding they need to know these things so that they can manage to pull the money from somewhere! I was fortunate enough to have a Bride who's mother paid for our dresses, our matching cowboy style boots, shawls and alterations for our dresses. Keep in mind she is the CEO of the second largest MHMR company in Texas... but still, It was very kind.

As a former bridesmaid who is short on cash, I needed to know the cost of the dress I would be wearing. That's it. There was no reason for me to ask about how much the whole thing is costing them or who was paying for it.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi
    These days there is absolutely nothing to benefit men in marriage, and when it all goes wrong they lose out "big time".
    Ian.

Odd... because when my parents got divorced she got NOTHING from my father, even though he's worth an insane amount, and she now is raising my siblings alone on a teaching salary. So no. There is plenty to benefit men in marriage- everything from decreased prices for insurance, locked down inheritance laws, hospital visitation rights, pension of the spouse if they predecease you, ability to adopt together, etc.

Grow up and get off your MRA soapbox.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of event planning for work, and people always make sure the seating/table arrangements are the most drama-filled and stressful part of planning, from not RSVP'ing, to bringing guests without letting me know first, to changing seats or tables and then taking other people's seats, etc. So I fully get the irritation factor of guests screwing up the seating arrangement or not having the courtesy to RSVP so you can have an accurate count for food, caterers, linens, etc.

In all honesty, though, ranting around like the world is crashing down about a social event is overkill. I have learned to expect last-minute changes, to expect people to not understand how much work I've put into planning or how much work is required to work around their changes, and to just go with it and stay flexible. Bottom line, it is supposed to be a celebration and fun, especially a wedding.
  • katie1286
    katie1286 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's no reason larger weddings cannot be relaxed and fun. And it is possible for brides of larger weddings to not be bridezillas...

We're getting married in May. We've invited just over 300 people. I'm very focused on our wedding being all about my future husband AND myself, not just "It's all about me".

I lost my reception venue 2 months ago and had to scramble to find a new one (we had literally had the previous placed booked for a full year). I still don't have bridesmaid dresses, even though they were ordered in August - they've been made wrong twice already. I've had plenty of reasons to throw fits and be a bridezilla, but I haven't. I'm still absolutely THRILLED about the big day!

But I still don't want to hear most of the things that OP had on her list! Even though I have a positive outlook about my wedding and I can't wait until the day is here... I still don't want to worry about people telling me that they can't sit with so and so or HAVE to sit with so and so or helping them pick out their clothes (aside from our immediate families), etc. I still have a lot of details to organize!
  • laurenkoszola
    laurenkoszola Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The minute after you tell them you got engaged that morning and the first thing that comes out of their mouth, "Have you set a date?" Um, well, we have been engaged for an hour, but yes we have all the plans set and booked and you can expect your invitation tomorrow. Really people!

you would be surprised I knew a girl who set a date before she met her husband, she was getting married may 5th no matter what.

Was it 05/05/05??
    LOL reminded me of the Office
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Also :
    1- "Who did you sit me with? I really don't want to sit with So and So. And I can't sit with this one either." - you are at the table for an hour the whole night. Shut up and sit wherever the hell I put you.

I skipped this seating trouble by just not assigning seats. As far as I was concerned, my guests were adults and could chose to sit wherever they pleased. As a result, an aunt and her 1 year old ended up in a spare seat at the "head" table, which worked out great because our "head" table was the closest the the musician. The kids was in heaven the entire time and didn't cause a bit of trouble. The musician especially liked having her so close because she was such a cheerful kid. No one complained about seating. After the wedding a few people even came up to me to tell me about the the great conversation that they had with so-and-so who they sat next to by chance and it was often a pairing I would have never thought of.
    6- "Sorry we're late, ::insert excuse here::" - My wedding isn't waiting for you. If you're late, you can wait in the damn parking lot.
    We got around this too. The wedding was small, was in a small town, and almost everyone stayed the night before and after the wedding in rooms at the venue itself. It's pretty hard to be late when all you have to do is get dressed and walk out the front door into the garden. :)
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LOVE this post! Everything makes me laugh. :happy:
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    Not if it was my sister...lol She is a devil.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    "Oooo I can't wait to be in your wedding ... ".... Umm... you're in the wedding? o really? umm... no....

and my favorite

" how much is this all costing you? - your parents are paying for it right?!" - umm.. sorry, that's private, and actually we're doing this pretty much all on our own...

The first, yeah... I can see the problem there...

The second though... speaking as a former Bridesmaid who is broke bumpkin' poor. If you ask someone to be a part of your wedding they need to know these things so that they can manage to pull the money from somewhere! I was fortunate enough to have a Bride who's mother paid for our dresses, our matching cowboy style boots, shawls and alterations for our dresses. Keep in mind she is the CEO of the second largest MHMR company in Texas... but still, It was very kind.

As a former bridesmaid who is short on cash, I needed to know the cost of the dress I would be wearing. That's it. There was no reason for me to ask about how much the whole thing is costing them or who was paying for it.

Sorry, I misread it. I thought it was said from the bridesmaid and my mind associated it with the bridemaid asking about the cost of the dress and if they were paying for it. I never asked my bride how much the wedding was but I knew just because she told me that her Mom was allowing her a budget of $30,000 and she asked for my help planning and googling and such. Otherwise I probably would never had known.