Has the whole world been brainwashed?

Options

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.

Are you familiar with the straw man argument as a logical fallacy?

I don't understand your perspective on what I stated. I am not refuting the paleo diet, I am just pointing out it's merits. Just because those similarities exist does not make this a straw man argument, I refuted neither one. In order for it to be a straw man argument I would need to refute the paleo diet, but then create an argument that was superficially similar. An argument that points to worthwhile parts within an argument is a very different thing.

Never mind. If you're not arguing in favor of paleo then I have no idea what how we are supposed to interpret your posts. I took your argument to be in favor of paleo by comparing processed foods against fresh vegetables and quality beef. Paleo is not the only approach that would support that.

I was responding to someone who stated they laughed at the term paleo because of what they believe it stood for, and I pointed out merits of the paleo diet that make sense to me.

Yes, and to argue in favor of paleo by making that comparison is a straw man argument. Many of us that are not on paleo still eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, and quality meat. We just also happen to eat dairy, grains and legumes. The arguments against paleo have nothing to do with fresh vegetables.

I think you misunderstand the straw man argument then, because I didn't make one... To do this I would need to make an argument that was practically the same one, and refute the argument, without refuting the original position. I did neither of these things.

No. I clearly do not misunderstand logic. I cannot follow your posts, however, so the discussion is a waste of my time.

Not trying to offend you, but either you cant make sense of what I am saying, or you are using the straw man argument incorrectly. I don't know which it is. I am not sure how I can clarify it for you any more.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
    I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
    I'm a Yankee, married to a Southerner. I'll never forget the first time I went to visit his family and saw Quaker Instant Grits in the grocery store. Like, who knew they existed?

Haven't you ever seen "My Cousin Vinny"?
    Ha! It came out a few years after we started dating.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Why do people eat the rubbish processed stuff out there?

Its called marketing. They're good at manipulation and are paid to make something that's not even good for you look good enough to buy! ... They're way down on my list of professions I trust..,
  • digitalsteel
    Options

Its called marketing. They're good at manipulation and are paid to make something that's not even good for you look good enough to buy! ... They're way down on my list of professions I trust..,

I wish I had a better answer other than it seems like they just don't care, or are uneducated on what is actually healthy for them.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    When I hear 'paleo' I always find myself wanting to yell 'evolution'.

~shakes my head and gets to the point~

Yes, the whole world has been brainwashed, in one way or another. You included, though I understand that you'd probably vehemently disagree with me about that.

Doctors and nutritionists, for the most part, while meaning well, are often overwhelmed and in some cases tired of telling people what they deem as accurate information because people just don't want to hear it. In other cases, they are simply human and subject to the same failings as the rest of us. I've yet to meet a doctor who hasn't said 'don't eat junk food, don't eat so much sugar and fat, eat more fruits and veg', now imagine saying that even five times a day, three days a week, 48 weeks out of the year. Not only would you be sick of saying it, you'd also be pretty sick of the people who kept coming to you with ailments that could be alleviated if they just did those simple things. Imagine watching people you'd try to care for die because they failed to take your advice.

I don't disagree that removing processed foods from your diet is a good thing, even though I disagree with your full definition of processed. But realisitically not everyone, even those who are very health conscious, are going to want to do that.

Obsessive perfectionism is not a good thing, so I suggest you relax, and not stress about it so much.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I wish I had a better answer other than it seems like they just don't care, or are uneducated on what is actually healthy for them.

Some of it is very tasty though - and ok in a balanced diet in moderation :bigsmile:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I laugh at paleo. How long did those people live again... 20 years? And I'm sure they were all spending their time at the computer too.

^This. Those folks from the past were paleo because they had no choice.

Do you think that most of the food produced and boxed today with the chemicals used, tend to be better than fresh vegetables or grass fed beef?

Because I don't think they are, and have had far more success eliminating them than not.

Are you familiar with the straw man argument as a logical fallacy?

I don't understand your perspective on what I stated. I am not refuting the paleo diet, I am just pointing out it's merits. Just because those similarities exist does not make this a straw man argument, I refuted neither one. In order for it to be a straw man argument I would need to refute the paleo diet, but then create an argument that was superficially similar. An argument that points to worthwhile parts within an argument is a very different thing.

Never mind. If you're not arguing in favor of paleo then I have no idea what how we are supposed to interpret your posts. I took your argument to be in favor of paleo by comparing processed foods against fresh vegetables and quality beef. Paleo is not the only approach that would support that.

I was responding to someone who stated they laughed at the term paleo because of what they believe it stood for, and I pointed out merits of the paleo diet that make sense to me.

Yes, and to argue in favor of paleo by making that comparison is a straw man argument. Many of us that are not on paleo still eat plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits, and quality meat. We just also happen to eat dairy, grains and legumes. The arguments against paleo have nothing to do with fresh vegetables.

I think you misunderstand the straw man argument then, because I didn't make one... To do this I would need to make an argument that was practically the same one, and refute the argument, without refuting the original position. I did neither of these things.

No. I clearly do not misunderstand logic. I cannot follow your posts, however, so the discussion is a waste of my time.

Not trying to offend you, but either you cant make sense of what I am saying, or you are using the straw man argument incorrectly. I don't know which it is. I am not sure how I can clarify it for you any more.

I'm pretty sure we're talking past each other. I think you are just highlighting some positives of paleo without supporting it all then? Not trying to offend you either.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    That was a different era. We have adapted since then. Our environment is different.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Those who claim they don't eat "processed" food are often fooling themselves.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Because its highly palatable.

As someone alluded to previously our tastebuds are primed to seek out sweet foods as it has a correlation with high calorie density which was previously necessary for survival.

Unfortunately our environment (and therefore lifestyle) has vastly changed...
  • digitalsteel
    Options

I'm pretty sure we're talking past each other. I think you are just highlighting some positives of paleo without supporting it all then? Not trying to offend you either.

Yes
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Because all my life I was always told I was a greedy child and needed to stop eating. I never considered that it was what I was eating.
  • rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Grits are ground corn, and they are very popular in the southeastern U.S. primarily as a breakfast food, though you really haven't experienced Southern cousin until you've had shrimp and grits. They remain a regional staple. I grew up on them and love them.
    I always that grits were made of wheat. Guess that's why I'm a Yankee-girl.
    I'm a Yankee, married to a Southerner. I'll never forget the first time I went to visit his family and saw Quaker Instant Grits in the grocery store. Like, who knew they existed?

Haven't you ever seen "My Cousin Vinny"?

"No self respecting southerner uses instant grits!"
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Cause maybe it taste good
    mexican-wrestling-ch.jpg
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    Because all my life I was always told I was a greedy child and needed to stop eating. I never considered that it was what I was eating.

This is a very good point. People are driven to eat based on hormones. If what you eat messes with those hormones, you will have a very hard to ignore desire for more food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    In for the fruit pastels. Because they sound yummy and colorful.

How do we know lions don't like them, BTW?

Because lions are carnivores.

So are their distant cousins, the house cat, but given the opportunity, mine will steal a pop tart right off my plate.

She also likes Raspberry Zingers.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Our bodies weren't designed to eat soy protein isolate either. Do your research on that.

Yes, we have been brainwashed. Those, especially, who "diet" have been brainwashed. The food industry is a for-profit industry. So is the healthcare industry...
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out who Jillian Anderson is.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Scully from the X-files is my guess. Though I believe that's Gillian
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Scully from the X-files is my guess. Though I believe that's Gillian

The truth is out there...