What is your resting heart rate?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring this with a HRM or only counting your heartbeats?

Counting at my carotid by feel.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these are so low. Is that what it's "supposed" to be? Like lower the better type of thing?

Yes. The more you improve your cardiac and respiratory function, the less hard those organ systems have to work. Instead of needing 70, 80, or more beats (squeezes) per minute to supply your body with all the blood it needs, your strengthened heart muscle can output the same volume with only 40 or 50 squeezes
  • brooke64
    brooke64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    66 :)
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    52 right now, it varies from the low 40's to high 50's. Once, an EMT friend of mine said that I should technically be dead because my heartrate was below 30 at the time. Haha!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 60 at the CVS when I check it. My doctor always gets a high reading because I'm a 40 year old child who is still afraid of the doctor. I never remember to get my heart rate right after I wake up.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    But I believe 60-100 is considered normal.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heart-rate/AN01906
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Between 52 and 58.
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    47ish lying in bed in the morning and around 50-55 when I am sitting up working on computer, etc. I'm a runner as well. :-)
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    So glad to see other peoples low readings! Mine is anywhere between 38 and 50 at the moment. I am no athelete but I have been running and hitting the cardio pretty hard the last few months.

At my heaviest it was above 90. Guess I am just getting much more fit and healthy. :smile:
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Average is 66 for me, first thing in the morning before I get out of bed it measures at 58.

Last ear at this time when I went for my physical my resting heart rate was 74.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    110-113

Ummmm, that's tachycardia. Not resting. Well, maybe if you are a fetus....

Umm, that is actually my resting heart rate. It has been since I was 10 years old following a virus that infected my heart. I also have a heart murmur, and no, I am not a fetus. When I exercise it peaks at about 189.
    Not to pry.. and you don't have to tell me obviously.. but have you been checked for aortic stenosis? That's a narrowing of the aorta and it can get very bad as you age. A heart murmur is often a sign of it.

I am not sure if I have been tested for that. I went through a lot of tests about 2 years ago, monitored heart while sleeping/ekg, etc. and the end result was there was nothing of concern. I do monitor it at home and go for check ups every 6 months. I will ask my doctor about it though - thank you.
    I've had the DX since I was 3.. but I think I am misdiagnosed.. i did a lot of research and I just need to get another echo done to confirm or disprove it. Hoping to disprove of course. Anyway.. the murmer is a sign of it because if you have a smaller aorta the heart has to work harder to pump the blood through, the valve that causes the murmur as a result doesn't close like it does in a normal person.
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I was running (even over 200 lbs) it was in the mid 50s. I once had an EKG and the tech kept asking if I felt OK because laying down it drops into the 30s. And I feel just fine, thank you :-)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these are so low. Is that what it's "supposed" to be? Like lower the better type of thing?

Yes. The more you improve your cardiac and respiratory function, the less hard those organ systems have to work. Instead of needing 70, 80, or more beats (squeezes) per minute to supply your body with all the blood it needs, your strengthened heart muscle can output the same volume with only 40 or 50 squeezes

Awesome. I'm interested to see if mine improves by the time I run my 5K in July :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    high 50s when I first wake up. Mid 60s during the day.