Get your Metabolic Rate tested !! My Metabolic reset story

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

BMR is Basal, most basic functions of metabolism, life sustaining.
    RMR is Resting mebabolism, higher level functions that could be left undone, growing hair, nails, skin, repairing muscle.
    TDEE is all your day's energy expended, including digesting food and exercise.

Is it correct to assume a person's RMR would be higher than their BMR? When calculating TDEE - do any online calculators use RMR (most I find use the BMR)?

Yes, higher.

Scooby's let's you start with foundation of RMR instead of BMR by selecting Cunningham RMR on their Most Accurate link.

The spreadsheet MFP Tweak tab also displays your RMR based on LBM if you entered BF%.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    thanks much for this info.
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. I made an appointment to have this done (and my thyroid checked) a few weeks ago. Curious to see what they have to say!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Had some interesting results when i had my appraisal the other day..

My arms increased by 1 cm, :(
    My chest increased by 2 cm's :(
    and good news is my waist decreased by 1 cm and my hips 1.5cm. :)
    I'm up just 1.3 kg since January 8.

I cant remember if I mentioned it in this thread or not but since i've been in reset ive noticed tops have been feeling tighter around the shoulders and chest area but my clothes are looser in the waist area. There is a noticeable difference :)

I've cut way back on the heavy weights lately whilst doing this reset as it turned into an unintentional bulk. I didnt want to bulk lol. I should have layed off the heavy weights sooner, oh well. Its been 1 week since I lifted and i miss it so much. :(

I really dont like my muscle too much. I am short in stature and have that stocky kind of athletic look. I would like to keep the nice defintion I have created but somehow debulk a bit. I think i'll be fine once I start eating at defecit again. It should help. I'm still trying to figure out a plan to follow whether that be lighter weights and higher reps, maybe, or perhaps I'll steer clear of weights for a while and focus on cardio to get that more sleek look I'm after. I think i'll go register at a triathlete messagboard. Some people there are interested in losing a little muscle mass as it makes it easier and quicker for them as they have less weight to carry. I will really miss the weights though especially the heavy weights but I guess its a compromise. I have to like what I see in the mirror dont I. That is the main thing and most important thing for me!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Bump for suggestions where to have this done in the UK. I did find the website I've linked below a while back and thought it looked really interesting.....but expensive...£180 :grumble: It works out your RMR and fat burning zones, plus other useful stuff, and a nutritional plan

http://www.provo2.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=74
  • Flissbo
    Options
    Bump for suggestions where to have this done in the UK. I did find the website I've linked below a while back and thought it looked really interesting.....but expensive...£180 :grumble: It works out your RMR and fat burning zones, plus other useful stuff, and a nutritional plan

http://www.provo2.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=74

Just seen they do just the RMR test, daily calorific burn and a nutritional plan for £75

http://www.provo2.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=51
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's very cool, OP! Personally, I don't have the money to do this, but I found my TDEE from copying my logs into a spreadsheet and following Sarauk2sf's math in this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Just seen they do just the RMR test, daily calorific burn and a nutritional plan for £75

http://www.provo2.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=35&product_id=51

Its well worth the investment ! :) You wont regret it.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @kim55555 - the good thing about your muscles is that you don't seem to have to work too hard to maintain them, so you could just not train with weights as often and still keep good tone - after all, the muscle is what burns the most fuel (and fat)! Most of us (myself included) have some trouble building up muscle mass and as you get more into your 40s you'll notice it.

Don't kill your muscles!! I:cry: f you lose a little fat you'll like them, I think. :)
  • Flissbo
    Options

Its well worth the investment ! :) You wont regret it.

I really want it done, I put on weight so easily and I eat very well, exercise 4 / 5 times a week and don't drink. There is no reason I can think of why I put on weight so easily (like over Christmas or holidays for instance) other than a messed up metabolism from years of eating under 1000 cals (before I knew better.) I have worked out my TDEE and eat just under that but I just don't trust it and would like to know for sure. Yay I think I'll book it :-)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I just found out that the wellness program at my workplace offers metabolic rate testing at a very reasonable fee! Making an appointment to have it done.

I've been careening between thinking that I need to cut my calorie goals a bit, vs. calculating my theoretical BMR under different body fat percentages and wondering if I'm not eating enough. My math for the first two months on MFP was perfect, but the math had me eating really close to my probable BMR, and the math is failing this month, which has me wondering what math is going wrong -- my BMR calculation or my calorie counting...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In my work, I always implore people to eat the maximum amount of calories to maintain weight relative to activity leading to weight homeostasis for a few months - while accurately measuring and logging everything - before making any changes to their energy balance. If people did, and established their true TDEE, they'd have far greater success at reducing fat mass.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    BUMP!!

Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    So if one has been eating close to BMR, can you reset slowly with slight increase to being back above BMR, or do you need to do a full-on eat at your ideal TDEE, accept some weight gain and then take it off slowly again?

The thing is, I was gaining weight last fall not eating a ridiculous amount more than I eat now, without having restricted calories consciously in several years.
  • heybales
    Options
    I really want it done, I put on weight so easily and I eat very well, exercise 4 / 5 times a week and don't drink. There is no reason I can think of why I put on weight so easily (like over Christmas or holidays for instance) other than a messed up metabolism from years of eating under 1000 cals (before I knew better.) I have worked out my TDEE and eat just under that but I just don't trust it and would like to know for sure. Yay I think I'll book it :-)

It's easy - over the years tearing down of muscle mass. That's why a BF analysis is needed along with RMR test, or instead of it.
    Your RMR may be right on for reduced LBM.
    Solution is then increasing LBM, which automatically increases RMR.

But if RMR is lower than expected for age, height, weight (but not BF%), then eating more won't repair it - you'll just be eating in excess.

So the only thing keeping your TDEE high so you don't gain easy is lots of exercise.

If you have little muscle mass, then your body has narrow margin for adjustment to your eating levels. Too much is unneeded and stored as fat. Too little is risky and more muscle burn.

Depends on what those workouts are. Lifting to retain/possibly build muscle mass?
  • heybales
    Options
    So if one has been eating close to BMR, can you reset slowly with slight increase to being back above BMR, or do you need to do a full-on eat at your ideal TDEE, accept some weight gain and then take it off slowly again?

The thing is, I was gaining weight last fall not eating a ridiculous amount more than I eat now, without having restricted calories consciously in several years.

Increase slowly, up to BMR, then to deficit amount, then to TDEE amount.
    Or 200 daily for a week or two.

What was the weight gain, fat or water?