At what age do you draw the line on being a bridesmaid?

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I have always found the wide age spreads in bridal parties interesting. I actually did NOT have my older sis in my bridal party because all my (now) ex-husband's attendants were like 21-22 and she was 37 and recently post partum. However, it wasn't because she was older, it was to save her sanity in dealing with my ex's juvenile friends!!!

For myself, I don't see anyone needing to ask me to be a bridesmaid. . .unless my widowed friend finds a new man and wants a big wedding. Otherwise, I'm happy to write the lovely couple a nice check and throw rice/blow bubbles/etc as they leave the church!!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Once a bride, but never a bridesmaid........at pushing 51 I guess it's a little late now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Do you have an age where you can't imagine being a bridesmaid in a full on, big puffy white dress, 250 guests, formal wedding? Have you ever said no to someone?

I hate to say it, but I have no desire to be in an attendant in a wedding again. Maybe if it was a small destination wedding type affair, but in a formal, church thing, I can't imagine taffeta, bouquets and up-do's anymore.
    I've only every been in 2... But my older sister, who will be 45 this year, has been in a ton of weddings. She told me yesterday that she's in one this coming May. I'm starting to wonder if she has a closet-full of these dresses, "27 Dresses" style...

I've been in 13.... Yes, I'm THAT awesome. And I'd never say no *LOL*
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    AHEM.

I am 44 and this picture was taken at a wedding last year.

What does age have to do with anything?
  • odusgolp
    Once a bride, but never a bridesmaid........at pushing 51 I guess it's a little late now.

Oh hell, you can be in my 4th wedding!!!
  • odusgolp
    AHEM.

I am 44 and this picture was taken at a wedding last year.

What does age have to do with anything?

And you look lovely :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    I guess it depends who it is but, really it isn't about me, it's about the people getting married, and if they are friends of mine or even family I should feel honored they want me as a part of it. Silly, to think of others, I know.
  • dearladydisdain
    dearladydisdain Posts: 7 Member
    I'm only 24, but I can't think of an age where I'd be "too old" to be a bridesmaid. If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but if it's because you think you're "too old" then that is sad.

And for the record, I just got married and there were no poofy dresses or taffeta for my bridesmaids. ;)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I would do it at any age for one of my best friends. I would tell anyone who falls outside of the "best friend" category no at any age.
  • perfectionisntme
    perfectionisntme Posts: 205 Member
    I didn't care much for being the bride, I wanted to elope. So, I wouldn't want to be a bridesmaid even though my sister asked me to be her maid of honor. Not quite sure how I will handle that. Hmmm.
  • odusgolp
    I guess it depends who it is but, really it isn't about me, it's about the people getting married, and if they are friends of mine or even family I should feel honored they want me as a part of it. Silly, to think of others, I know.

I KNOW, right?? Crazy talk.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    So long as I can choose my own dress I have no problem with it at pretty much any age. I mean the style. No meringues here thanks :P
  • SlvrBluGoddess
    SlvrBluGoddess Posts: 239 Member
    I've never been a bridesmaid... :cry:
  • LoveLaughSweatFuel
    LoveLaughSweatFuel Posts: 38 Member
    If asked and I am close to them ... answer is yes regardless of age.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    I'm 31 and I would LOVE to be a bridesmaid again. Only been in one wedding, but I should have been in 3 because two of my friends basically said I would be a bridesmaid and then picked other people. One of them picked the girlfriends of her groom's brothers because "it would be weird to have his brothers walk with someone they're not dating...so, instead of having your closest friends, you just picked these girls you hardly knew. Okay. I actually went and bought an amazing formal dress and wore it to the wedding and looked better than the bridesmaids like "Yeah, you should have picked ME you ungrateful bizznatch." I was actually happy when one of them spilled grease on her dress and another lactated in hers - although considering they had to wear an ugly olive green maybe it was best I wasn't a bridesmaid in that particular wedding.

Although some of the women at my church have picked the UGLIEST colors - one of them had her bridesmaid in a really gaudy orange that no one should wear and another had them in a dark brown, which might have been okay if all the bridesmaid hadn't had dark skin and so it looked like they were walking down the aisle naked...
  • I was a bridesmaid at 25 and the bride involved me fully on what type of dress I would wear. Likewise when I got married my bridesmaids were 29 &15 and I went dress shopping with them to find out what colour and styles suited and based my wedding colours on that :-)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    27.That's the last time I was a matron of honor.To the bossiest bride ever.

My "best friend" made me come over for bustle practice once a week,I had to hold up her ridiculously huge and heavy gown while she pee'd.

When she was my maid of honor 8 years prior she picked her own dress and had a lot of input into mine.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    I was a bridesmaid at 25 and the bride involved me fully on what type of dress I would wear. Likewise when I got married my bridesmaids were 29 &15 and I went dress shopping with them to find out what colour and styles suited and based my wedding colours on that :-)

You are awesome.

I've seen weddings where bridesmaids have the same color of dress but different styles depending on what suited their body shape best. I think it is great to do this kind of thing.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    My take on Bridesmaids;

You should only have as many as you can afford to buy a dress for. Asking a friend to be in your wedding and then making them buy their own dress is a SIN!
    The age thing....no limit, but refer back to the above :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    The trick to avoiding being a bridesmaid is to not have any friends.