Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Replies

• iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Lucky for me, I hate beer... always have, always will. So, when the doctor said "no more beer" I said "no problem!" :laugh:

Now margaritas, martini's and wine... that's a different story! :love: And my personal favorite drink ever... coffee brandy with milk :love:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Omg, I am an idiot. Got sleep deprived and stressed, so I ate some bread 3x in the last 3 hours. Now I feel like an alcoholic just wanting more and I'm bloated like I'm 4mos pregnant.

Why am I such a fool?:frown:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    cutmd- I ate some mashed potatoes at a party today, I'm sure they had butter and milk in them. Then I had a cookie. Long story short, thank god the bathroom was free and I made it. It was family, but still, thats a terrible feeling. Now that was pretty stupid! And probably TMI, sorry about that. :embarassed:

Also had 2 glasses of wine Friday night and felt like I was at the bar doin shots. The room was spinning! I had such a hangover this morning. No wonder my doctor said no alcohol for a few months. I should have listened. LOL. Who'da thunk 2 glasses of wine would cause that infamous, "I'll never drink again!" speech.:noway: :laugh:

I'll wait a few and try again, I'm sure.... lol. I'll just try 1 glass and leave it alone. Gotta build up my stamina again:laugh: :drinker: I can't imagine ever being a non-drinker....... Its like Snoop Dog giving up the ganja:smokin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: Just wouldn't be right.:tongue:
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Thanks for the welcomes!

Ahhhh! Beer! I'm such a beer snob and addict. If my current career ever went in the sh!tter, I've wanted to open a brewery. And now I've been wondering if the wheat is why I end up so icky from it. I had tried the Red Bridge stuff a long while back just because it was different, not for the gluten stuff, and I didn't think it was bad.

My new addiction: the skinny girl margarita. Just tequila, a little triple sec/grand marnier, couple lime wedges and ice. :love: They're strongish so you gotta sip and not loaded with calories & sugar like regular margs.

Question about soy sauce: Somewhere I got the notion that tamari soy sauce was ok, but when I went to get some this weekend at Publix it said it had wheat. Any suggestions or brands to look for? (And sorry if you guys have talked about this before, I haven't found it yet)

Oh, I tried the Quinoa "super food" pasta last night. Comes in a blue box. It's a blend of quinoa and corn flours. If any of you haven't tried it, you may like it. I thought it was pretty spiffy! :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Tropical kitty- The low down on the soy sauce as I have discovered is this. Soy sauce, or shoyu as it is called in the culinary world, is brewed with wheat. Tamari is just soy and nothing else. They make wheat free soy sauce, but all it is just tamari. You can find it at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or Better Health. I haven't found it in low sodium, but with all the restrictions I have, I could care less about adding another one. You know what I mean?
  • iRun4wine
    Soy Sauce-

The last time we were at PF Chang's, I asked them where they got theirs and they gave mea bunch of free samples. The brand is "San-J" so I'm not sure where you can get it, but it's awesome and gluten free. I also have bought the La Choy brand, but I can't remember exactly which one. Be sure to read the label, but I do believe that they make one that doesn't have wheat in it.
  • iRun4wine
    Just pokin' the old thread to make sure it's still alive.... :tongue:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    San-J is an awesome brand of Tamari (soy sauce)!! Double check the ingredients, cause it seems that only a few of them are gluten-free, and the others have wheat in them!
  • TropicalKitty
    I found an organic tamari at Kroger. And I second what you said Steph, as Publix's single brand of Tamari *did* have wheat in it.

I'm on the bread alternatives right now. It's grilling season and I'm sick of hot dogs and brats with no bun. *sigh* I was at the grocery store (Publix again) and I said how disappointed I was in their gluten free options, that Kroger had more choices. Well the store manager was telling me how they don't have the same amount of shelf space. Naturally I took that as "We don't care enough about making sure our customers can get what they need because you aren't important enough to have another slot on our shelves." Granted they had an end cap with some stuff, but still very limited selection. Like they had ONE frozen gluten free pizza: Amy's Spinach Feta. Wouldn't a generic cheese pizza be more apt to sell to more people than something that specialized? Sorry, I hate feta. I'm a pepperoni pizza girl. And I miss pizza right now...there are two gluten free pizza joints, 35miles from my house. That's a long drive...

I'm rambling. Ranting. Sorry. But I figure you guys and gals can understand some of the frustration as I learn where and how to shop now.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I'm on the bread alternatives right now. It's grilling season and I'm sick of hot dogs and brats with no bun. *sigh*
    Hi Kitty, I don't want to ruin things for you, but hotdogs usually have wheat in them (or is it daily...?). I'm pretty sure Celiac people can't have them, and I definitely know I can't. :laugh: I have to read the ingredients on EVERYTHING!!

As far as Gluten-free goes, I really like the Glutino products. They make snacky things like granola bars and cookies, which are nice as an occasional treat, when you feel like the wheat-eating world is against you. I notice their products at my local health food store now, too, where they usually have a bounty of GF foods.

As for pizza, I make my own... (Check out online recipes -- Google search "gluten-free pizza" is awesome!) You can also try Pizza Pizza, if it's around you at all, which has a GF pizza available (but it's expensive, and tastes like cardboard, but I can't have cheese and tomatoes, so that might contribute... That said, I did enjoy one they made for me, so I guess you the quality varies.)
  • TropicalKitty
    I'm on the bread alternatives right now. It's grilling season and I'm sick of hot dogs and brats with no bun. *sigh*
    Hi Kitty, I don't want to ruin things for you, but hotdogs usually have wheat in them (or is it daily...?). I'm pretty sure Celiac people can't have them, and I definitely know I can't. :laugh: I have to read the ingredients on EVERYTHING!!

As far as Gluten-free goes, I really like the Glutino products. They make snacky things like granola bars and cookies, which are nice as an occasional treat, when you feel like the wheat-eating world is against you. I notice their products at my local health food store now, too, where they usually have a bounty of GF foods.

As for pizza, I make my own... (Check out online recipes -- Google search "gluten-free pizza" is awesome!) You can also try Pizza Pizza, if it's around you at all, which has a GF pizza available (but it's expensive, and tastes like cardboard, but I can't have cheese and tomatoes, so that might contribute... That said, I did enjoy one they made for me, so I guess you the quality varies.)

I eat the Hebrew National hot dogs, no gluten! Plus, I think they have slightly better quality ingredients over the other brands.

INGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Sodium Lactate, Spice, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Sodium Diacetate, Garlic Powder, Sodium Erythorbate, Flavorings, Sodium Nitrite. CONTAINS: Soy

I'm too lazy to make pizza from scratch at home (occasionally I will) it's more of a "I had a long day at work and don't want to cook" thing. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. I just figured this sensitivity out a couple weeks ago so I'm still sad at the things I can't have anymore. I tried one of the glutino crackers and they were yummy, I'm glad you said you like their stuff. I'll have to try more!

PS- I just did a google search on gf hot dogs, apparently Nathans has wheat in em. In the celiac's forums a bunch of comments on the hebrew national and boar's head being good, if you are wanting a hot dog this summer. :)
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I actually found a celiac/G intolerance group in my little town and I went to the meeting last night! It was very refreshing! Maybe you have one in your town?
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    Hello!! I don't know if i'm gluten intolerant or not, however, I noticed when i did an atkins like low carb diet, I lost really well. Ok, so i switched to incorporating healthy snacks into my diet: granola bars, lite popcorn, rice cakes, 100 calorie packs, carrots and the weight loss stopped. So i started looking into the low glycemic thing and gluten free and wondered if I suffered from one of it. I don't have any of the symptoms you guys mentioned except bloating and constipation (i'm sorry about the graphic).
  • iRun4wine
    Regarding hot dogs- I don't eat them often, but when I do, I eat Boar's Head. They're gluten free, and good! All of their lunch meats are gluten free also! :flowerforyou:

That's awesome, Nicole... what was the meeting like?
  • ccaruso219
    ccaruso219 Posts: 92
    PS- I just did a google search on gf hot dogs, apparently Nathans has wheat in em. In the celiac's forums a bunch of comments on the hebrew national and boar's head being good, if you are wanting a hot dog this summer. :)
    [/quote]

I just looked at a package of Nathan's hot dogs that I have in the freezer and they are gluten free......Besides the big bold gold letters that say gluten free on it, the ingredients show it. I was always a big fan of Sabrett's, but switched to Nathan's and Hebrew National....
  • leavinglasvegas
    I also use Hebrew National hot dogs for my daughter. As for bread, I'm over it. But my daughter likes occassional salami sandwiches and she loves toast with butter and jelly. Schar white bread is the best I've found (in her opinion). However, in a pinch we had to settle for Ener-g Brown rice loaf and it was equally accepted. Ener-g also makes hot dog and hamburger buns. I like that company because they are also dairy free. It was hard in the beginning to find gluten and dairy free baked goods! There is a glutenfree restaraunt that opened up near by, but they use eggs and milk in everything. :sad: I went in there and turned out to be just like any other restaraunt, all that was safe for me was salad.

For Pizza, look in the freezer section where the sell Amy's products. They usually have premade crusts that you just top and warm in the oven. We tried the Chebe dough. I liked it, but I didn't bake it long enough. The middle was chewy, but the crust was Awesome! And I even used an egg substitute. If I had baked it longer it would have been a hit, but I was impatient, lol! Thats why I'm not a good baker I guess.

The allergy doctor recommended that we try a serving of gluten next month and see how it goes. I'm leary about it. I've gotten used to this and so has my daughter. It was such a huge change and she has adapted well. Even the dietician said by allowing gluten she will have more variety. I can't help but feel deep inside that staying gluten free is not a bad thing. Next week we have an appointment with the PCP. I'm going to say these exact words and wait for his reaction. "I feel like you don't trust that I am able to provide my daughter with a nutritious diet, like I'm not knowlegable enough to rplace glutenated foods with healthy, nutrition packed, whole foods." And then I'm going to hand him a copy og her food diary, which I have been tracking on MFP. She meets her 2000 calories EVERY DAY!

OK, that turned into venting. Sorry about that, lol.

BTW, I tried the Redbridge Beer yesterday. It was different, but I drank 5, so it was accepable:laugh: :drinker:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Hello!! I don't know if i'm gluten intolerant or not, however, I noticed when i did an atkins like low carb diet, I lost really well. Ok, so i switched to incorporating healthy snacks into my diet: granola bars, lite popcorn, rice cakes, 100 calorie packs, carrots and the weight loss stopped. So i started looking into the low glycemic thing and gluten free and wondered if I suffered from one of it. I don't have any of the symptoms you guys mentioned except bloating and constipation (i'm sorry about the graphic).

Bloating and constipation are still symptoms. Everybody's reactions can be different. Its worth talking to your doctor about.
  • nicolee516
    Regarding hot dogs- I don't eat them often, but when I do, I eat Boar's Head. They're gluten free, and good! All of their lunch meats are gluten free also! :flowerforyou:

That's awesome, Nicole... what was the meeting like?

Kelynn- It was cool, they brought GF food that everyone made, and most of them brought a list of ingredients so you could see what was in them. They are so many different levels of allergies, I think I was actually the one that has been GF the longest!!!!
  • nicolee516

BTW, I tried the Redbridge Beer yesterday. It was different, but I drank 5, so it was accepable:laugh: :drinker:

:laugh: I hear ya on that! I love beer and was always told I was a beer snob because I am a big microbrew fan that doesn't drink stuff like coors and A/Busch stuff. Now here I am drinking redbridge!:tongue: I don't really have a choice. I have begged my hubby to make me some GF beer this summer. He is the one that makes our homemade wine and beer.

Holly, your new profile pic is amazing! you look so good!
This discussion has been closed.