What's the deal with whole eggs?

Options

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had 6 boiled eggs for lunch last Saturday, fresh out of the pan and hot - tasty and nutritious! The yolk is the best bit... these came straight from my neighbours chickens.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options
    I always eat the yolks. Dietary cholesterol has been found to have little effect on blood cholesterol.

"Recent research has been showing that the cholesterol in eggs is handled by most people’s bodies in a way that doesn’t cause heart disease and that dietary cholesterol does not necessarily translate to increased blood cholesterol or an unfavorable ratio of HDL to LDL cholesterol." From the Journal of Nutrition.

The egg yolk contains choline, lutein, and other wonderful nutrients.
    This is what several of my doctors agree with too and a dietican also. The egg gets a bad wrap for sure. They also recommend eating no more than 6 to 8 eggs per week.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is to hit calorie goals and not be over on fat? I eat 6 eggs nearly every day. It fits my macro and calorie goals. : )
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well, it fits into my macros & calories for the day so I'm going to stop worrying about what other people are eating & enjoy my egg every morning :happy: (I just feel bad for wasting all those yolks for the past few months)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Well, we have the US gov't telling people to limit dietary cholesterol, so what does that tell you?
    This is the same government that singled out dietary fat as the main cause of obesity back in the eighties. Food manufacturers started offering low fat alternatives and in the next 30 years the nation became even fatter.

When it comes to my health I can find better sources of information than the government.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,358 Member
    Options
    Well, we have the US gov't telling people to limit dietary cholesterol, so what does that tell you?
    This is the same government that singled out dietary fat as the main cause of obesity back in the eighties. Food manufacturers started offering low fat alternatives and in the next 30 years the nation became even fatter.

When it comes to my health I can find better sources of information than the government.
    say it again!! :wink:
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me it's strictly a calorie thing. Egg whites have roughly half the calories and for the times when I'm on a tight calorie budget every little savings helps.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks make stinkys.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ugh I cant stomach just white congealed albumin mess I need the tasty yolk!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i don't eat the yolk because i don't like the taste. i also know a couple people who are allergic to egg yolk but not egg white. i would imagine some people also remove the yolk because 70 calories is a lot more than 18.
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Egg Beaters! Easy, fast and make the fluffiest scrambled eggs ever! :)
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters are made with real, all natural egg whites. Half the calories of shell eggs & all of the protein! :)
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    It is just because the white is gonna be pretty much solid protein calories whereas the yolk contains a lot of fat. The Cholesterol thing is a joke and nothing to worry about unless you actually have high cholesterol problems...
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    If you are a fitness competitor you want to get a lot of good quality protein. Egg whites fit the bill. It's not that yolks are bad, they have a lot of important nutrients, however they add to the overall calorie count. Personally I usually eat 2 whole eggs per day, sometimes adding in extra egg whites if I need to bump up my protein.

Also some people still hold to the old thinking that dietary cholesterol raises your blood cholesterol, and that fat is the bad guy.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Exactly, especially a government who's very dependent (financially) upon their sales of grains to the rest of the world, and who's 'food pyramid' and 'my plate' recommendations come from their own grain-marketing agency ...
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol, fat and calories. If I'm having scrambled eggs I use one whole egg and 2 egg whites. Tastes just the same with a lot fewer calories and cholesterol.

Eggs don't contain bad cholesterol.
    Eggs don't contain bad fats.
    Eggs do have "slightly" extra calories that egg whites

There is such a thing as too much "good cholesterol" normal range should be between 40-60, eating the whole egg may or may not have an impact on this.
    210 calories vs 104, is not a slight difference when you're counting every calorie, and your breakfast also includes coffee, turkey bacon, an 8 grain pita and some cheese, you may want to save some of your calories for lunch, dinner and snacks for the day.
    I never said cut out yolks completely, just if you're going to have 3-4 eggs a day maybe take out 2-3 yolks to save calories.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol, fat and calories. If I'm having scrambled eggs I use one whole egg and 2 egg whites. Tastes just the same with a lot fewer calories and cholesterol.

There is such a thing as too much "good cholesterol" normal range should be between 40-60, eating the whole egg may or may not have an impact on this.
    210 calories vs 104, is not a slight difference when you're counting every calorie, and your breakfast also includes coffee, turkey bacon, an 8 grain pita and some cheese, you may want to save some of your calories for lunch, dinner and snacks for the day.
    I never said cut out yolks completely, just if you're going to have 3-4 eggs a day maybe take out 2-3 yolks to save calories.

No, I literally will just have oatmeal, tea & 1 whole egg. That's it.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just wait a few weeks, there'll be a new report saying eggs are just fine.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options

No, I literally will just have oatmeal, tea & 1 whole egg. That's it.

Sounds good!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just eat the whole egg, personally. The calories you save by omitting the yolk is negligible, IMO, & plus, I'm a vegetarian so I need the B12 & whatnot in the yolks.

As long as you don't have a cholesterol problem, eating the yolk is good for you http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html