Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Wow, has it really happened already? :laugh: I am closing in on 50 pounds lost, hoping to get there in the next 2 weeks, I am 43. This picture is about 3 pounds ago, which has been a long time now. Went on vacation, and now recovering from a sprain the weight loss had stalled, back to it now though.

2iqkht.jpg
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Some great stories on this thread. I'm 43 this year, work and have a 4 yo dauger who keeps me fit :-) I've lost most lf my excess weight since Iast year and to be honest have not found it difficult at all. I just keep chugging away - sometimes I gain, sometimes I stall, sometImes I lose, but I keep on getting back in the saddle. I'm lighter now than when I was 30 and soon I will be the same weight I was when I was in my early 20s. Husband says I look great :-) bless him. I'll take his word for it ;-)

Lost the bulk of my weight doing 10-15% cut of my TDEE (so daily eating around 1800-2300 calories). No exercise until this January. Now doing 5:2 fasting for health benefits but still losing weight. 8lbs to go.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    for me it really wasn't as hard as i had heard. i was forced into menopause when i was 30. i will be 54 this summer. it has taken me since 06 to lose this weight. from 06 to jan. 2012 i played with an 80# loss, up and down 50 of it. quit smoking in that time frame, lots of life stuggles. i used food to cope with it all. i have lost 78 of my 111 since 1-2012. i do have sagging skin. i workout 6 days a week. i lift weights, run, classes, boot camp. it can be done. my mind is sometimes my worst enemy. i have to keep it in check. because of my age i won't get to the weight i would like to end at. trainers have given me another 20 to go. and have told me it could take this whole year to do it. i am just coming off a 3 month plateau, my first and only one so far. i just keep plugging away, and learning this is my life now.
    good luck to you.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing!
    53 here and down 24 lbs in six months. I get a bit intimidated by people who seem to lose so much faster than me but i want to do this slowly in order to make sure i keep the weight off! Peopke are finally starting to notice. I reckon that another 1.5 years should do it!

I am also weight training and enjoy it!
  • joycandelaria
    Options
    Don't give up before I came to this web site . It took me one year to take off 60 pounds. Have kept if off for two years. In a slump for one your. But have 30 pounds to go. Hang in there. I'm 65 so never give up! :smile:
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm 44...I don't call myself an 'older lady'....actually I'm still a girl!! :bigsmile:

Thank you. I was wondering when did 40+ become the new 'older lady' :laugh:
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Going to be 43 this year and though the weight does not come off that fast or easy, it will come off! For me it is more about being healthy and happy at this age;)
  • Dawn7664
    Dawn7664 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'll be 55 in 7 days and feel like I look good. I'm no where near done with 50 more pounds to lose so not sure what my tummy and boobs will end up like. But my face looks younger and I feel younger and more healthy. That's what counts! And my hubby finds me an all new sexy. :)
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    49, life long couch potato, and I lost 20 pounds in the last 7 weeks and I feel great! Do not throw in the towel!
  • tatianna68
    tatianna68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and just hit my goal of 30 pounds lost and feeling great. I use to have a sit down job and do nothing lifestyle, now I walk everyday, do yoga and just got a mountain bike for Easter from my boyfriend. Believe me it takes effort and commitment, but you can do it! Do not compare yourself to 20 somethings you are older, wiser and so much more than they are.

For good support and loads of info sharing join us in this group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9188-the-ladies-who-lunch
  • jcamer12
    jcamer12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    what defines "older". I am 55. Does that qualify? I've lost 12 lbs and only had 7 as my original goal. I am now lifting about .25 % more wt than when I began a year ago. One of the trainers in the gym asked my friend if I was 40ish. Ha! I've lost 2 pant sizes and feel fantastic. Skied for 6 days straight last month and play competitve tennis most days of the week. Is this a success story? It is for me but my goals were tailor made for me. Set your goals/set your mind on progress/don't lie to yourself (weigh food, measure liquids)/ get a digital scale and GET WITH IT! You are worth it!
  • leelees10
    leelees10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You're all amazing! Thank you for your inspiring stories!
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm here and I'm 72 and haven't lost any thing since I started in August of 2012. Previous to that and before I joined here I had lost 20#, but 1/2# a week. I remember complaining that it wasn't coming off fast enough, now I would give anything for it to be 1/2# a wk. Over the summer and thru the holidays I had put six lbs back on. I exercise 3x wk at the gym doing aqualates, swimming, sometimes elliptical if I have time and about 2x wk I do strength training although I used to do it 3x wk faithfully but lately it's back to 2 or less. At home I have a treadmill and recumbent bike that I use almost every day. I weigh and measure my food and have for over two years and I find that it helps. I discovered in the beginning that I was eating too much. I don't buy packaged, almost everything is home made. It can get very discouraging and there are days I want to say "to heck with it" but I keep plugging along. I need to lose about 12 more #s and I know I can do it! I have been trying to lose to be more healthy as I have a very strong family history of heart problems, father dying at 41 of his second heart attack and many more in his family at young ages.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i was working one summer in highschool as a pool boy at the local country club when i glanced over at this mid-50s lady...

oh wait, i read the title wrong
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure what "older" meant... but at 44 and turning 45 in July, it seems I qualify. I must say though, that I don't feel older... (than what, I'm not sure).

I've been a yo-yo dieter my entire adult life. Ended up last year at 92kg and utterly miserable with myself.

Since September 2012 I have lost 15kg with another 15kg or so to go - not a raving success yet, but I will be. I think that NOW is the time to act for everyone, young and old. I want to hit menopause head on and snap it in half. I want to beat osteoperosis because I'll still be resistance training when I'm 70. And I want to look and feel the best way that I can all the way to the glorious end.

Bring it on!!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    i was working one summer in highschool as a pool boy at the local country club when i glanced over at this mid-50s lady...

oh wait, i read the title wrong

Ok, so I did giggle at that one...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    Options
    I'm 44...I don't call myself an 'older lady'....actually I'm still a girl!! :bigsmile:

You can do it, just keep at it! :flowerforyou:

Me too! I'm a girl. I refer to my friends as girls. I'll still be a girl when I'm 70. I had no idea what to expect when I opened the thread, didn't think I'd qualify at 44 years of age. My DD swears I'm only in my 30's, she thinks I have it wrong. But no, birth certificate says 1968... pass the liquid paper someone...
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    49 this June and have lost 50 # in the last year, also had one hell of a year with my health and really high dose steroids, you can sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo do this !
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    I started my journey right before I turned 50. I've lost 52 lbs and would like to lose a vanity 2 1/2 more. :wink: I just want to be a little deeper into the 120's so, as I add muscle, I'll end up in the low 130's. I look WAY BETTER now than I did! It definitely is worth doing, even at an older age!!

P.S. I'm post menopause also and have been during this whole journey. It hasn't been an issue with my weight loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!