Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    got that straight now? lol
  • Omakitkat
    Omakitkat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. Here's what I;m going to try :
    Reduce the Carbs- No heavy breads ... yes occasional heathy pockets and wraps
    -no Heavy in sugar fruits........yes to berrys and low sugar fruits
    -no white potatoes............yes to sweet potatoes/yams
    -light on other starchy veggies( corn)...lots of fiber rich bright colors veggies (bell pepper, beets, eggplant etc)
    Reduce the Fat - yes to Lean cuts of beef , pork, and chicken
    - yes to healthy fat seafoods ( salmon)
    I'll add lifing weights , some cardio, walks , fish oil, LOTs of water.
    I'll eat less calories :smile:
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have read several things that a flat belly is made in the kitchen not the gym. So maybe try to eat super clean. No processed foods. Alot of fruits, veggies, and lean meats! and lots of water! Good luck!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    <
    picture doesn;t lie. 5 1/2 weeks, no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes (carbs)

No fruit, no coffee, no dairy.

Don;t believe me if you don;t want too

It wasn't the caloric deficit that did it then?

<
    eats lots of carbs all the time, and has copious amounts of coffee, fruit and dairy.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    <

for you= caloric deficit plus water weight loss.

No need to cut out food groups. Carbs are not evil or 'fattening'. Excess calories are fattening.

When you go back to eating carbs, you will gain water weight. thus minimizing your losses. One of the reasons low carb is not sustainable in the long run.....

my food diary is open open open. I eat lots of carbs.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am yet to see any major results but have just invested in a Polar FT7. It shows that when I am doing weights my body is burning more fat. i.e I can do a 30 minute kettlebell routine and 30 minutes on the cross trainer. I burn about the same amount of calories BUT I burn more fat doing the kettlebells. This is what I love about the FT7 and it has changed how I workout.

I also read yesterday that by doing weights your body will continue to burn fat even after the workout is over. So if you aren't doing weights then give them a try. I also found my 45 minute legs, bums, tum's class is also a great fat burner even though you don't particularly work up a sweat, it is burning that fat!

I will have to look for one of those FT7!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    eat cleaner and lift weights...heavy weights
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    <

fat loss is due to calorie deficit.

if you lost fat, that's the reason.

going low/zero carb also helps you shed stored water. bodybuilders do that right before a show.

but shedding water weight is not fat loss, so it will come back as soon as you allow your body to replenish itself.

you cannot spot reduce, but if you're mostly bloated in your belly from excess fluids, obviously this is where your body will shed most of the fluid, making it appear as if you are preferentially losing fat around your belly.

i'm sure you did lose some weight during those 5 1/2 weeks due to calorie restriction. i'm also certain you shed water weight as well. a gallon of water weighs ~8lbs and i've read that some body builders can shed as much as 10lbs of water weight before a show just by restricting carbs, so the question remains.. how much of your 17lbs was fat and how much was water?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have read several things that a flat belly is made in the kitchen not the gym. So maybe try to eat super clean. No processed foods. Alot of fruits, veggies, and lean meats! and lots of water! Good luck!!

it's not what you eat, it's how many calories you eat.

there is nothing wrong with processed foods. it's also not mentally healthy for people to live in constant fear of food.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    <

No need to cut out food groups. Carbs are not evil or 'fattening'. Excess calories are fattening.

When you go back to eating carbs, you will gain water weight. thus minimizing your losses. One of the reasons low carb is not sustainable in the long run.....

Thats not entirely accurate. Your body uses carbs for fuel. If you arent eating a bunch of carbs it uses fat stores for fuel. the less carbs you eat the more fat your body uses for daily burns. HOWEVER; carb free or severe limitation is hard to maintain. Its better to reduce your carbs to manageable level then to eliminate them. You are correct that Excess calories cause fat accumulation you are just misinformed about how the body is fueled.

Carbs dont make you fat
    Fat is a good fuel source use that instead of carbs
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love this thread I feel like I am learning so much about the carb issue. Thanks!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

there is nothing wrong with processed foods. it's also not mentally healthy for people to live in constant fear of food.
    Who is afraid of food? And again, why are you so against healthful choices? I know that the world is not black and white. What happens over here, may not happen over there. By the way, I didn't get this bangin body from eating spinach salad and celery stalks. And yes, I have practiced moderation with my choices. Processed food made me feel more hungry, and feel tired a whole lot. When I cut out wheat my appetite normalized, when I cut out man made garbage my weight began to come off. Slowly, but still it began to come off.
    By the way, you CAN get too many carbs. True story!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Who is afraid of food? And again, why are you so against healthful choices? I know that the world is not black and white. What happens over here, may not happen over there. By the way, I didn't get this bangin body from eating spinach salad and celery stalks. And yes, I have practiced moderation with my choices. Processed food made me feel more hungry, and feel tired a whole lot. When I cut out wheat my appetite normalized, when I cut out man made garbage my weight began to come off. Slowly, but still it began to come off.
    By the way, you CAN get too many carbs. True story!

X survery Says...

Processed foods are in fact worse for you then whole unprocessed foods. Make the right choice. Its not about being afraid of anything its about choosing proper body fuel.

If you have to buy and eat something processed so be it just avoid making processed foods your primary food source your body will thank you.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    <

Thats not entirely accurate. Your body uses carbs for fuel. If you arent eating a bunch of carbs it uses fat stores for fuel. the less carbs you eat the more fat your body uses for daily burns. HOWEVER; carb free or severe limitation is hard to maintain. Its better to reduce your carbs to manageable level then to eliminate them. You are correct that Excess calories cause fat accumulation you are just misinformed about how the body is fueled.

Carbs dont make you fat

tell that to my 24% down to 18% body fat. I never cut carbs once.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    go gluten free!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Cut out Carbs

Take fish oil, loads of water

LIFT

No need to cut carbs if you enjoy them, a deficit will take care of that. I haven't cut carbs and I've lost 3 inches off my waist in two months, it's all about where your body wants to take the fat from first. You can't change that it's genetic.

Sorry, I must respectfully disagree. I enjoy carbs as well, but they still land in the middle of my big, fat belly and big old butt. If enjoyment of carbs were all that was needed to get a flat belly, we would all be in for an easy time.

That is not at all what she said. Clearly enjoyment =/= weight loss. She said there is no need to cut carbs if you don't have a valid reason to do so because a deficit, regardless of carb intake, will take care of weight loss. Duh.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    low carb and lift
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it. For me, it's the last place I lose. Bummer.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    <

Carbs dont make you fat

disagree I believe carbs make you store fat
    I eat good fats and protein and low carb for energy source , and losing fat from my belly first time ever after 15 years of dieting.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The carb thing does not apply to a healthy person with no metabolic issues. Many people who notice that reducing carbs gives them greater success probably have an underlying metabolic issue like PCOS, IR or diabetes. I have PCOS and tend to have success when I cut back on carbs, even from fruit and when I do not cut back on them, struggle to lose at all.