People with children...

Options
1235»

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    24 hours of labor w/o pain meds...that's how.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    24 hours of labor w/o pain meds...that's how.

yeah you have me beat.....

longest labor I had was 6 hours without meds.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    More importantly, "why?".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I drink. Heavily.

OK, while that's true, it has nothing to do with my child. My kid is so easy. Everyone should be jealous.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    ummm IDK but I somehow ended up with two soooo I must have gotten it right twice

or wrong twice....depending on the day, the perspective and the reality....

jus sayin...

I only got it wrong ONCE...then I learned my lesson....HA!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    How??????

P in V
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Peen in the vag, semen fertilizes egg, fetus starts forming, fetus grows into baby, baby grows up to be kid.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Children are a joy. Some days they make you cry, but most days, they are just awesome.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Do you not go insane.. For the people who really care ;)

You do go insane, you just have company for the journey.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    How??????

Edit: The question should have been- how do you not break down when the kiddos get out of hand? watching my nieces and just needed some advice on how not go crazy. Sorry it wasn't clear at first.. i was sort of in a helpless/confused state at the time i posted this :ohwell:

Redirection. Best trick a mother/caregiver can have up her sleeve. First, chill yourself out, because those little critters can pick up on your anxiety, and that makes them go nuts. So take deep breathes, lock yourself in the bathroom for five minutes, have half a glass of wine if you really need to. Then find an activity that is calm. Coloring, counting, make-believe. Interact with them often, don't just leave them and expect them to behave all of the time. Read a book, or throw in a TV show if it's too crazy. Take a nature walk (just point out things along the way, ask them to find certain colors, anything to involve them), that usually works out really well for us.
    And yes, there will be crying, and no, it won't be all from the kidlets. But always recognize the reasons behind the way you are feeling. Are you actually sad that the kids are having fun and playing, if a bit loudly? Or are you feeling overwhelmed because your day was long and you didn't sleep enough?
    Good luck!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    51Aq3NxGVEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Ahhh...just read the real question......well, earplugs, alcohol, and childrens benadryl

lol....seriously though....just don't let them get to you....once they think they have you figured out...you're done!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. Lots and lots.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Well my nieces had me wanting to cry, from the screaming and me being tired... They were only here for a lil over and hour so I found myself asking HOW ??? How do parents do it?? Everyday?? Alllllll day??? I'm sure I just don't have the patience, and they're not my own, but still.. How do you not end up crying In the corner every night???
    Sometimes you do end up crying in the corner. I tried not to do that very often.

Being a parent is a tough job, but it's not magic. I'm sure some personality traits are better-suited for it that others - and it's probably very different traits for different ages of kids.

Until they get older, kids are crazy, impulsive bundles of energy with few boundaries and nary a whiff of compassion. But they're funny and entertaining and you can make them do stuff you don't want to.

The mechanics aren't all that tough. If you can responsibly raise and train a dog, you can responsibly raise and train.. er.. develop a child. Some parents won't like to admit it, but there are a lot of similarities to child-rearing and responsible dog ownership.

Most of the emotional chaos around kids comes from two things: 1) the immense pressure we put on ourselves to be "good parents" (or caregivers) and 2) lack of sleep (or time/energy). Mix those together and it's easy to see why ending up in the corner crying isn't a surprise. If you can deal with those two things adequately, and don't mind loud noises, you can get through it.

BRILLIANT. :happy: Very well said.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It's not easy to be a parent. There is a lot of self-sacrifice and growning up for youself while the kids ggrow up too. I see many younger parents who don't seem to grasp that enough and don't tend to their children's needs enough.

I recommend no one have kids until at least 30, personally. I don't think most people have figured themselves out by then really. Hell, maybe even 40.