Why is obesity considered deviant behavior?

Options

Replies

• chd1974
    chd1974 Posts: 1
    Options
    ADHD, Bipolar Disorder and a considerable amount of cancers are not self inflicted or self imposed. Whereas obesity, more often than not, is self imposed.

I also respectfully disagree somewhat with your position that obesity is not a character flaw. In my opinion all addictions in part are character flaws. The addicted has exercised poor judgment or ignorance to the truths of the substance and lacked the self control or willpower to prevent, or in hindsight, remedy the situation. How is it anything other than a series of character flaws?

No one feeds me but me. I am fat because I made me fat. Not a disease, not an evil corporation, not a lack of intervention from the government, and certainly not because enough money hasn't been thrown at it. I am 100% responsible for getting myself here, and I'll take 100% of the responsibility and credit for getting myself out of here.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    *lights up*

Orly? Tell me all of your disgusting habits. Let me shame you for them, then you can tell me how that makes you feel.

Shaming someone into losing weight will do nothing but destroy whatever little self esteem they have left.

Also, you're a peach if you truly believe that ridiculing and shaming someone into doing what *you* want them to do is the right way to go about life.

The high school mean girls club called. They want their tactics back.

Srs. The change in attitude toward smoking in the US *did* impact the number of smokers. If obese people weren't allowed to eat fast food inside, that would begin to gradually change the number of obese people.

Whether it's good or bad is debatable but the fact is that the demonization of smoking and smokers has had a HUGE impact on the number of smokers - it's taxed out the *kitten*, it's barred indoors, and all because it's grown to be considered "societally unacceptable".

I think it's completely reasonable that the obese be treated the same way. Overtaxed, marginalized, excluded, and treated as something less than a person - rude comments made freely toward them because our society just doesn't stand for it anymore.

It works.

No.

More information about smoking and its effects has caused people to stop smoking...cuz they were dying....so many quit...and many didn't.

Just like obese people who feel like they're dying will eventually make a choice to lose weight...or not. People need to make their choices and aholes pushing their opinions down their throats is NOT the way to do it.

Smoking outside was so that other families who don't smoke or have children don't have to inhale someone else's toxins.

An obese person eating outside? What on earth does that help to do? Having no smoking rules isn't infringing on your human rights. Telling you that you can't eat inside cuz you're fat is, IMO.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Whether it's good or bad is debatable but the fact is that the demonization of smoking and smokers has had a HUGE impact on the number of smokers - it's taxed out the *kitten*, it's barred indoors, and all because it's grown to be considered "societally unacceptable".

I agree the taxes definitely reduced smoking because it is pretty expensive to smoke now, but socially unacceptable isn't a reason for the laws etc, its because it was killing those who don't smoke.. Obesity is just killing the person that is eating it.. that's why its a different beast than smoking is.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't think that obese people should be allowed to use the same water fountains as me.

It's simply outrageous.

Sorry, as much as I'd love to continue this conversation with you, I'd like to know your BMI. I'm sorry, I just have strict rules about who I can talk to. Thank you.

With love,
    Burt
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    While there's a grain of truth to culture being to blame, obesity, addiction, smoking etc are all "caused" by poor choices.People are not perfect and no matter how much money is put into studies, there will be people who make poor choices.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    *lights up*

Orly? Tell me all of your disgusting habits. Let me shame you for them, then you can tell me how that makes you feel.

Shaming someone into losing weight will do nothing but destroy whatever little self esteem they have left.

Also, you're a peach if you truly believe that ridiculing and shaming someone into doing what *you* want them to do is the right way to go about life.

Srs. The change in attitude toward smoking in the US *did* impact the number of smokers. If obese people weren't allowed to eat fast food inside, that would begin to gradually change the number of obese people.

I think it's completely reasonable that the obese be treated the same way. Overtaxed, marginalized, excluded, and treated as something less than a person - rude comments made freely toward them because our society just doesn't stand for it anymore.

It works.

Precisely.

And once we're done with that we can decide what other behaviors we don't like as a society and start to weed those out as well. Gum chewing can be annoying. So any time you walk past someone chewing gum feel free to make rude comments towards them. You're being helpful after all.

They came for the smokers and I said nothing, because I don't smoke
    Then they came for the fatties and I said nothing, because I'm not fat
    Then I realized with all the smokers and fat people gone life was a hell of a lot less fun.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    An obese person eating outside? What on earth does that help to do? Having no smoking rules isn't infringing on your human rights. Telling you that you can't eat inside cuz you're fat is, IMO.

This is a support website. The original poster was asking why more isn't being done. Do you just go shooting down people's great ideas all day like some sort of great idea assassin?

All I'm saying is, the OP is looking for ideas to help control people's behavior. I'm offering solutions and all you're doing is being a wet blanket on my tickertape parade, so you can take this job and shove it.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    *lights up*

It works.
    Not sure if srs. Totally hoping you're not.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

It works.

I have to say, there is a line between simply acknowledging that people generally have the body they have because they choose to have that body, and being a down right jerk. And you kinda cross that line.
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my obesity was caused by two things

1. I was being to lazy and not wanting to get off my butt and get moving

2. I was eating way beyond my proper portions or not eating enough most days

It is us who needs to take responsibility for our own actions. not the government. we can choose to eat mcdonald's or not to.
    one the times I go out like when my child has away games I pre plan ahead of time by checking out the lowest calorie options.

I chose to be obese and weigh 250 pounds by my own actions. just like I am choosing now to do something about it. I lost 75 pounds thus far in doing so.

^ This.

There is a difference between being diagnosed with a disease like cancer or having a mental illness - no one chooses those. Addiction can be characterized as a disease, but they are also the result of choices. Once someone crosses the line into addiction their actions are often beyond their control, fueled simply by the need to feed that addiction above anything else. I chose food as a coping mechanism, for comfort, for the love of food, to escape/ whatever. There are underlying issues as to why I did what I did, but I wasn't blind to the fact that eating what I ate would have me end up obese at 33 years old.

I think it would be helpful to have more educational programs for young people to learn about proper diet and nutrition - showing a pyramid and say eat this is not enough. I think it would be beneficial to also offer programs to low income families to show them that on a limited income they can have healthy and nutritious food. There are some places where I live that offer such programs through the food bank and social assistance, and I think it is a good start.
  • _Witsy_
    Options

This is a support website. The original poster was asking why more isn't being done. Do you just go shooting down people's great ideas all day like some sort of great idea assassin?

All I'm saying is, the OP is looking for ideas to help control people's behavior. I'm offering solutions and all you're doing is being a wet blanket on my tickertape parade, so you can take this job and shove it.

lol except that it's not a great idea...I would imagine the OP was looking for ideas that actually make sense and may work.

I only shove things on Thursdays. Sorry.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    In for the inevitable tattoo and body art bashing which is sure to come.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

I agree the taxes definitely reduced smoking because it is pretty expensive to smoke now, but socially unacceptable isn't a reason for the laws etc, its because it was killing those who don't smoke.. Obesity is just killing the person that is eating it.. that's why its a different beast than smoking is.

Except it is contributing greatly to rising health care costs for everyone. I am not saying I agree with any specific policy stated here, but it is true that obesity is one of the larger contributing factors to the health care problem we currently face in the US (meaning rapidly rising health care costs).
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Funny, while I am far from poor I actually spend less on food now that I am eating healthy. Amazing how much cheaper it is to pack my healthy lunch that run to grab fast food every day.

And also, I don't buy into "emotional eating" as being a cause. CHOOSING to emotionally eat it a cause. Yeah, I get the people get sad, lonely, depressed, whatever and turn to food for comfort. I am a single dad, and when my kids go visit their mom I tend to get sad, lonely, and a little depressed. But that doesn't mean you have to channel that into food. Yes, it is an easy quick fix so to speak. But so is going to the gym. Channel those feelings into moving weight around. Hell, channel them into just simply moving YOURSELF around.
    Your lack of knowledge about the societal problems behind obesity is astounding. Look up Food Access and Low-Income Neighborhoods in a reputable public health journal. It's great that you've found your way out of eating crap, but your pathway was easier than it is for some: You have easy access to a grocery store that has many healthy items to choose from, you are the head of your household and therefore the "gatekeeper" for what food is brought in the house, you have the time and money to get to a gym frequently etc. I'm not saying people with financial difficulty CAN'T get healthy, but it's more difficult for more than one reason.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

lol except that it's not a great idea...I would imagine the OP was looking for ideas that actually make sense and may work.

I only shove things on Thursdays. Sorry.

:heart: :love: :love: Excellent. I will send you a PM tomorrow. :love: :love: :heart:
  • _Witsy_
    Options
    And just to make sure this stays Chit Chatty and Fun... I leave you with this.

th?id=H.4895464792590048&pid=1.7&w=167&h=155&c=7&rs=1
  • _Witsy_
    Options

:heart: :love: :love: Excellent. I will send you a PM tomorrow. :love: :love: :heart:

lol

Excellent...I'll be watching my inbox tomorrow. You best not disappoint.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...
    Yes, for most people it's a choice. They don't choose to be obese, they chose not to do something about it. And please note I said "most people" before you tell me about all the medical reasons someone might be obese.