Why is obesity considered deviant behavior?

Options

Replies

• foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Irony - we have a utopian system of food sources unlike any prior society. No wonder we eat so well...maybe it's a response to past livingstyles in one had to be self sufficient and food sources were not taken for granted. Eat when food was available and starve without. So is it deviant ? I don't think so, as we have finally acheived what organized human beings have always wanted.
    Unless one is in poverty and there are no charities, food is in abundance to all. The issue now being, how to select wisely from that pile of abundance
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I honestly think food is not the root of the problem. Our society has gotten lazy and sedentary with easy access to everything. Our grandparents ate tons of lard and butter but had to work much harder and walk more places to live their day to day lives.
  • Zehornet
    Zehornet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OP, you might not have come to the right place when you started such a thread on a calorie-counting website.

With that said, I do agree with you - to a certain degree.

For all the "you can do it yourself" and "lack of self control", I still see alot of "fatty-shaming" going on that people should really think twice about.

After all anorexia and bulimia are food disorders. You cannot make fun of anoxerics or bulimics lest you be declared a social pariah. Its alright to make fun of fat people though - just look up any comments section on that news about the first airline to charge by the kilo. People choose not to acknowledge that obesity may have roots far beyond the physical such as depression, anxiety disorders and the such. Mocked as these reasons may be, they also include hormonal imbalances, which are very real.

I'm not saying that you should delegate your responsibilities to the government - your aim to feel happy, "healthy" and the such. But --

It would be nice to get appropriate support when you want help - not backhanded comments that often do more damage than good.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Okay. After actually reading the OP, I have a big issue with this entire thread.

Back the eff up. OP, did you REALLY just compare obesity to alcoholism?

I...I just...

...I'm done here.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    Fast Food places have been adding healthier choices to their menu for years now, at the end of the day its about choices.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

The cure is already known, stop shoving food in your mouth and eat less, maybe move a little more as well.

And please stop with the tinfoil hat stuff with HFCS and MSG, metabolically speaking, how is HFCS different from sucrose and how is MSG different than glutamate?

I agree with this!!

The cure is to put the fork down every once in a while and go for a walk or get tot the gym.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Your lack of knowledge about the societal problems behind obesity is astounding. Look up Food Access and Low-Income Neighborhoods in a reputable public health journal. It's great that you've found your way out of eating crap, but your pathway was easier than it is for some: You have easy access to a grocery store that has many healthy items to choose from, you are the head of your household and therefore the "gatekeeper" for what food is brought in the house, you have the time and money to get to a gym frequently etc. I'm not saying people with financial difficulty CAN'T get healthy, but it's more difficult for more than one reason.

Your lack of knowledge about personal responsibility is astounding. I actually live in a n extremely poor area, and shop at the local grocery store. Surprise surprise, there are healthy options there. People are, by and large, not force feed. All adults are the gate keepers to their own body. Every bite of food they eat is a choice to eat that bite of food. Maybe it is more difficult for some. Tough crap. Whoever said that life is easy lied. It is also less difficult for some who still choose to be obese. Relative difficulty level does not equate impossibility. If they don't want to be obese, make the more difficult choice. Funny how you assume that just because I am in pretty good shape, it is somehow less difficult. My pathway was also more difficult than it would be for some as well. I made the difficult choice. Period. if someone doesn't want to be obese, they can make the difficult choice as well.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...
    Yes, for most people it's a choice. They don't choose to be obese, they chose not to do something about it. And please note I said "most people" before you tell me about all the medical reasons someone might be obese.

:flowerforyou:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I'd love it if everyone who coughs and shoots me dirty looks when I (like Brett) light up, would also make disgusted faces when obese people walk out of McDonalds, then we will make some positive progress in changing our culture from one of welcoming acceptance toward Obesity to fighting it for the scourge it really is.
    The difference there, is that cigarette smoke does make me cough; makes my eyes, throat, nose burn, my lungs seize.......
    Someone's eating too many French fries has no physical affect on me.

But I don't make disgusted faces and only coughed on purpose when people would light up next to my babies. They should just know not to make smokey air around babies.

And to keep " on topic ", I think the government puts too much money into telling us what to do ( whether how to eat or any other rule they make for our personal choices.) and though kids may not have the proper info, adults can learn and make their own choices and are without good excuse in most cases.
  • tinabatinaflc
    Options
    obesity = alcoholism?

nope.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Economic influences contribute to obesity (low income areas have less access to fresh fruits and vegetables) and education hasn't been there for some people.
    Depression, abuse, etc.. also lead to obesity. Substituting food for affection, feeding depression, etc.
    It's easy to attack those you don't understand. You don't ridicule alcoholics or drug addicts for their choices, why is it so easy to do that to food addicts?

You would think that people on a website geared towards health and weight loss would be a bit more compassionate. I haven't seen that to be the case yet.

I like when obesity soared during the Great Depression and is rampant in Haiti or maybe the low income argument is garbage
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    *lights up*

Orly? Tell me all of your disgusting habits. Let me shame you for them, then you can tell me how that makes you feel.

Shaming someone into losing weight will do nothing but destroy whatever little self esteem they have left.

Also, you're a peach if you truly believe that ridiculing and shaming someone into doing what *you* want them to do is the right way to go about life.

The high school mean girls club called. They want their tactics back.

Srs. The change in attitude toward smoking in the US *did* impact the number of smokers. If obese people weren't allowed to eat fast food inside, that would begin to gradually change the number of obese people.

Whether it's good or bad is debatable but the fact is that the demonization of smoking and smokers has had a HUGE impact on the number of smokers - it's taxed out the *kitten*, it's barred indoors, and all because it's grown to be considered "societally unacceptable".

I think it's completely reasonable that the obese be treated the same way. Overtaxed, marginalized, excluded, and treated as something less than a person - rude comments made freely toward them because our society just doesn't stand for it anymore.

It works.
    Thank you for expanding on my thought so eloquently. Society's ridicule, shame, disgust and demonization of smoking helped me to quit. If it worked for me, I know it must influence/persuade other smokers too. I'm not a special little snowflake.

Guess what DontStopB, my self-esteem improved a great deal after I stopped smoking. Overcoming an addiction (whether it's cigarettes or food) gives you a tremendous sense of accomplishment and power. I'm sure the same would apply to obese people after they lose weight and stop being obese!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I find this interesting.
    Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured.

Alcoholism is a character flaw. Obesity itself is a descriptor, but the set of behaviors that lead to obesity are also a character flaw.

You know it's a flaw because obese people are killing themselves.

I think I feel you though, OP, and I get where you're coming from. While the thermodynamic solution to eradicating obesity is very simple (eat less/move more), the "culture of obesity" in the US in particular needs to be addressed.

I don't think Government intervention is necessarily the right idea, but I'd love it if everyone who coughs and shoots me dirty looks when I (like Brett) light up, would also make disgusted faces when obese people walk out of McDonalds, then we will make some positive progress in changing our culture from one of welcoming acceptance toward Obesity to fighting it for the scourge it really is.

I think that's a modest proposal.

Alcoholism is a character flaw? WHAT? Where did you get this piece of information?

You are dribbling this nonsense and you actually have the nerve to talk down to others? WOW.
  • JazzyTimmy
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    1. Treating smokers with ridicule and disgust has helped to reduce the number of smokers. Same should apply to obesity. Don't underestimate the power of societal pressure.

[/quote]
    [/quote]

This isn't the Dark Ages. Using social pressure that way is just cruel. Plus, it supports the idea that people 'deserve' a lower standard of treatment, which is a slippery slope into oppression.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why is obesity considered deviant behavior when we throw gobs of money at research for cures of ADHD, Bipolar disorder, cancer, etc. but almost none towards obesity? Obesity is an epidemic that will only get worse if we treat it with ridicule and disgust. It isn't a character flaw of someone that causes them to be obese. Obesity isn't deviance but a disease (like alcoholism) of sorts and if treated properly can be cured. By properly I mean addressing physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional needs of the obese person. McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King among others contribute mightily to the obesity problem.

As a society we also have to demand healthier products from the Food Industry and call the Food Industry on their so-called research to prove additives such as MSG and HFCS are safe. By making demands, I don't mean passing laws but refusing to eat at establishments that use trans fats, too much sugar, HFCS, and MSG. Hit the Food Industry where it counts - in the wallet. Americans need to take a more active role in their health and know that a pill will not cure everything.

The cure is already known, stop shoving food in your mouth and eat less, maybe move a little more as well.

And please stop with the tinfoil hat stuff with HFCS and MSG, metabolically speaking, how is HFCS different from sucrose and how is MSG different than glutamate?

QFT
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    *lights up*

Orly? Tell me all of your disgusting habits. Let me shame you for them, then you can tell me how that makes you feel.

Shaming someone into losing weight will do nothing but destroy whatever little self esteem they have left.

Also, you're a peach if you truly believe that ridiculing and shaming someone into doing what *you* want them to do is the right way to go about life.

The high school mean girls club called. They want their tactics back.

Srs. The change in attitude toward smoking in the US *did* impact the number of smokers. If obese people weren't allowed to eat fast food inside, that would begin to gradually change the number of obese people.

Whether it's good or bad is debatable but the fact is that the demonization of smoking and smokers has had a HUGE impact on the number of smokers - it's taxed out the *kitten*, it's barred indoors, and all because it's grown to be considered "societally unacceptable".

I think it's completely reasonable that the obese be treated the same way. Overtaxed, marginalized, excluded, and treated as something less than a person - rude comments made freely toward them because our society just doesn't stand for it anymore.

It works.
    Thank you for expanding on my thought so eloquently. Society's ridicule, shame, disgust and demonization of smoking helped me to quit. If it worked for me, I know it must influence/persuade other smokers too. I'm not a special little snowflake.

Guess what DontStopB, my self-esteem improved a great deal after I stopped smoking. Overcoming an addiction (whether it's cigarettes or food) gives you a tremendous sense of accomplishment and power. I'm sure the same would apply to obese people after they lose weight and stop being obese!

What didn't improve was your ability to detect sarcasm.
  • spdleeuw
    spdleeuw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people keep saying veggies are so expensive. They aren't THAT bad. Sheesh. You can buy giant bags of frozen veggies for dirt cheap. You can also find farmers markets and get them there at a lower cost. The real problem is that we've moved away as a society from cooking at home to doing everything so it's easier for us all. It's simpler to just buy food and something precooked is easier. Veggies are available and can be purchased for decent prices. You have to choose what you buy - skip the bag of horrible deep fried chips and buy bananas or bell peppers...it's all choice. The pricing isn't that horrendous. I've seen grocery carts full of sodas and artificial stuff - they could choose to eat right - they choose to not do so. We are here because we've chosen to change our lives and eat the right way. Personally, I don't think we're wasting as much food now that I'm constantly cooking and actually preparing real stuff. We freeze anything that might go bad and waste less. It's all a process.

Monica

I agree. I spend far less money now that I am controlling what I eat. I don't buy whiskey, wine, beer, French cheeses, huge slabs of cheese of any sort, packs of butter, cookies, desserts, pastry, sausages or bacon any more. I'm sure there are more things I could think of. Vegetables and fruit are much cheaper than all of those. I think the obesity problem in the US is cultural. I live in Portugal. People here eat a lot, they sit down twice a day in big happy groups to eat three courses but no junk or takeaways - veg soups, grilled meat and fish and loads of fruit is the normal diet.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The cure for obesity is for people to take responsibility for themselves.

Nobody is going to do it for them.

Personally, I don't think there is ENOUGH social pressure here in the states. It's normal to be fat and if you aren't, people will shove food at you until you are.

If you want a good example of how good social pressure works, look at Japan. Their obesity rate is almost zero, and if you do happen to be overweight, people will not mince words about it.
  • CallmeFrida
    CallmeFrida Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i think it's called SELF CONTROL not to eat fast food everyday....and the parents of parents of parents etc. who don't teach kids discipline and buy fast food for their kids because they are too lazy to cook healthy. very simple. it's not a disease like alchoholism in MY OPINION. neither being an alchoholic...people choose to drink themselves to death just like obese people eat themselves to death.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So basically obese people are choosing to engage in activities which quite literally could and will lead to their deaths?

Given that the overriding biological imperative is survival that theory seems distinctly like utter rubbish to me...
    Yes, for most people it's a choice. They don't choose to be obese, they chose not to do something about it. And please note I said "most people" before you tell me about all the medical reasons someone might be obese.

I think the notion that people consciously choose to eat themselves to the point of severe illness or even death is ludicrous.

in my view something else more compelling is going on under the surface...