Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If you don't want or can't get a real gun, get a good imitation. I'm serious, if you look online you can find cheap ones that look real (real enough to an attacker in the dark anyway). It won't actually protect you, but it's a great deterrent. It's really just the threat of being shot that will scare them off anyway. Plus, you won't have to learn how to shoot or worry about shooting off a boob while you're running.

I would really not recommend this actually. It can just end up with the cops being called on you because hey, some person is running around with a visible gun! (In most places, openly carrying is illegal.) It would lead to a sticky situation and I just would not recommend that...
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

Really!! Thats so odd! So what do you do

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

What if the attacker turns the weapon around on you?

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Mace is a wonderful deterant >:)

Many people can resist mace. Don't know anyone who can resist bullets.

Leave the mace at home....OC all the way! The stronger the SHU the better. The likelyhood of someone being resistant to mace...higher than being resistant to OC. BTW...take it from someone who has been sprayed with OC...it sucks and it hurts and anyone getting that into their eyes will curl up in a ball on the ground.

If that dont' work, a quick brachial stun will work too.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    take your ear buds (music) out of your ears so you can hear.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.

The idea is just foreign to me as well. I'm not in the UK though but not US either.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

I want those! Ha!
  • brijfit
    brijfit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get a running buddy, human or canine. They can also help push you to run further/faster.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Seriously, though -- I am one of those people who plays music while running (yes, I'm bad) so this is what I do:

- Stay alert (people are creeps)
    - Run on busy roads if running at night, and leave the trails alone
    - Cell phone and ID on me at all times
    - Min. 1 person knows I'm going out and for how long, and where-ish I will be.
  • Jess7170
    Jess7170 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I didn't take the time to read ALL of the responses, so I may be duplicating another person's advice. I always let someone know my route and approximately how long I think I'll be gone. I call them when I'm done/home safe. I don't run at the same time everyday or have a predictable route/pattern (this isn't actually on purpose, sometimes I'm just lazy!) I also carry my cell phone and will be ordering the Road ID tag that will have my information on it. As for the music, I try to resist the temptation to crank up the volume so I can hear cars approaching, but I'm not always great about that part. I'd like to thank you for posting the question and the responses I read shared some good advice. Good luck and stay safe.
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I do cardio indoors when I can.

I live in one of those places considered "safe" and saw on the news that a girl was brutally raped and beaten (barely recognizable afterwards) by some completely wasted dude in the middle of the day on a running trail. You have to be careful at all hours of the day.

Also, saying you can ward someone off with your attitude or just by you telling them to go away...A lot of attackers are high and can't be reasoned with.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yet still 1/5 US women is raped in her lifetime....interesting...
    [/quote]

Although in only 4% of these cases the perpetrator is a stranger. Also if you look at the psychology of stranger rapists, it's all about power so they do generally only go for females that they perceive as being weak or an easy target. Having said that women running alone should do everything they can to protect themselves especially being alert and letting people know where you are going and when you will be back. But you can't go through life being scared to live.

For the record. The stats

- Someone with whom the respondent was in love: 46%
    - Someone that the respondent knew well: 22%
    - Acquaintance: 19%
    - Spouse: 9%
    - Stranger: 4%
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    I never ever run listening to music just in case someone tries to get me from behind...I'm also very aware of my environment and strike a defensive stance if I feel a little threatened in any way. I don't carry a gun or knife (as I live in the UK) but I do carry a long sharp key which could do a lot of damage at close range if need be.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

The idea is just foreign to me as well. I'm not in the UK though but not US either.

I'm in Australia and our gun culture is miles away from the culture in the US. I honestly don't think this idea would come up with any seriousness if we were discussing this issue in Australia.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    a bubble gum pink stun gun.
  • mikki1987
    mikki1987 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I'm just outside london as well, and it's terrifying to see all these comments about carrying knives and guns...remind me not to go running when I visit my sister in the states!

I live in a really quiet village, but we've had really high profile kidnappings and murders from here, I tend to just run during the day past busy places - lots of nursery/primary schools and churches, and if I can't, then I'll do cardio inside. I live nowhere near any of my friends, and if they knew that I was running, they'd probably just sit me down and feed me cake!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Stay aware, run in well lit, well trafficked and SAFE looking areas, run where it isn't so secluded that nobody would find you if you tripped and fell or (heaven forbid) someone tried to jump you, and carry a small mace in your hand if you can. The small hand-held ones are discreet, strap to your hand and easy to use. If you are truly concerned for your surroundings, though...maybe find a new place to run, or run on a school track when its not being used by the sports teams.

Have you considered running with a buddy, or getting a dog as a companion? Some breeds make great running buddies, will love you until their last day unconditionally, and protect you in times of danger. It's a HUGE commitment, though.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    LOL @ all the gun freaks in here

If you need to carry a gun to go for a jog, then I think it's time to stay indoors. LOL @ all the brainless nitwits in this country who think the answer to every societal problem is carrying a gun. Yeah, dude, you're so much more American now. That's really cool the Constitution is your guide to living. Oh, did you want a beer?

Just be cautious in life, period. That's all you can do. If you have to start loading one in the chamber before you set out to do your stupid little 3 mile loop, then no one really wants you apart of our civilization. Stay home, meditate, and get your chakras in order.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

I'm just outside london as well, and it's terrifying to see all these comments about carrying knives and guns...remind me not to go running when I visit my sister in the states!

I live in a really quiet village, but we've had really high profile kidnappings and murders from here, I tend to just run during the day past busy places - lots of nursery/primary schools and churches, and if I can't, then I'll do cardio inside. I live nowhere near any of my friends, and if they knew that I was running, they'd probably just sit me down and feed me cake!

Oh relax...the people who are talking about guns and knives probably live in bad parts of the country. I am sorry, but every country has its bad parts. Just stay out of those places and you will be fine. I live in Memphis...one of the most crime dense cities in the US and I have been running by myself for over 3 months now and have been just fine. Stay in the crowded areas, out of areas you shouldn't be and ignore the people who talk about carrying guns.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I want one of these SO bad! I take pepper spray. Not the best defense but better than nothing.
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm more worried about getting bit by the off-leash dogs that idiots let loose on the running trails.