Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was mugged while jogging in broad daylight in a populated area...for an iPod. Plenty of people saw what was going on, but none had the wherewithal to help until it was too late. Luckily, I was not seriously injured.

I don't keep earphones in when I run and I don't carry anything with me anymore. I just stay aware (which I thought I did before, but I guess not), make sure someone knows where I'm going and how long I expect to be gone, and I have a few different loops that I run at different times of the day. It could easily happen again. I'm under no illusions that it's safe, but I do live in a lower crime community now and enjoy running enough to continue to take the risk.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Deadbeat summer didnt mean to be rude. I just hate wikipedia.
    Not intending to be rude, just poking a bit of fun, sorry. I think we agree that gun control is not the issue in the US, it's more the mental health system and the punishments for committing a gun crime.

And no, I cannot argue with you about anything having to do with Switzerland--I'd be there myself if it wasn't such a ***** to obtain citizenship!

vickyg + bbegley - :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: No worries :) it was fun to have a little morning debate, now I must get back to work :) no offence intended/taken
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

But if weapons are completely illegal where you live, then you should have absolutely nothing to worry about....

...right?

( :wink: )

from what i read on here I worry a lot less than people who live in countries with legal gun ownership.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There should be a balance. Of course a person should not live in fear, but you also should not be completely naive either. Obviously those of us that have been raped and/or attacked are going to have moments when we are on alert.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

But if weapons are completely illegal where you live, then you should have absolutely nothing to worry about....

...right?

from what i read on here I worry a lot less than people who live in countries with legal gun ownership.

I have ZERO worries about law abiding citizens carrying around me. However, I can't say the same about criminals.

I was raised with a knowledge and understanding of proper gun use. And to date, none of my guns have killed or injured a single person. Guess I've just been lucky...well, that, or it's because my guns are good guns...not those bad scary guns that many people believe should be made illegal.

I'm also one of those wackos who believe that criminals are the real problem, not their tool of choice. And I don't believe making guns illegal magically means that criminals won't have them. It just means that law abiding citizens won't.

All that said, I don't carry when I run. I have enough problems finding a home for my car/house key that doesn't irritate me. I have yet to find a carry option that works for me while running. If I lived in a part of the world where wild animals were a serious concern, I guess I'd need to revisit that.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You know what... lots of women here in Toronto get cat called but none of us have to carry guns. Pepper spray maybe.. it's very rare where someone has to use that. Just be constantly looking around you, don't flash expensive items, don't run/jog/walk in the poorly lit areas.. common sense. If you are in a tourist area, really watch out.. especially when people "bump" into you
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have mace on a key chain that I carry!:sick:
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    lawlz. sure hope nobody reported this.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ruger LCP.380. I have compression shorts shown earlier as well as it fits in my Nathan belt.

I had a guy a few weeks ago, stop WAY out i the middle of no where, no traffic in sight EVER, and ask me directions to the nearest walmart about 10 miles from where I was.

I worry more about animals than I do people.
  • k8wizzo
    k8wizzo Posts: 33
    Options
    I run in the neighborhood-- by houses. If I need help, someone will hear me. Or I take the dog.

This, but no dog here. I don't run on the bike path here unless I have a friend with me.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

Put your favorite .45ACP in that holster.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options

...right?

Like in Mexico where guns are illegal and everyone is completely safe.
  • srworthy
    srworthy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    personal opinions and cultural differences aside...I would probably end up accidentally shooting my butt off if I had a gun packed in my pants. Maybe some serious self defense training?
  • mousetrousers
    mousetrousers Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would:

1) run on a well lit path
    2) tell someone that I'm going for a run and what time to expect me back at.
    3) keep a cell phone, a whistle, a pocket knife, a small flash light, in a fanny pack/key chain
    4) keep my music down low or off so I could hear (preds are looking for women who are distracted)
    5) remember to look around at my surroundings often
    6) know your surroundings well in the day, so you won't be running anywhere unfamiliar. And so you can identify where your nearest safety zone would be.

In a self defense demonstration, I was told not to strike an assailant with my keys, because after they will most likely fall to the ground and you don't want to waste precious moments picking them back up when you can be getting away. If you leave them on the ground than you won't have your keys.

Hope this helps :)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

...right?

I have ZERO worries about law abiding citizens carrying around me. However, I can't say the same about criminals.

I was raised with a knowledge and understanding of proper gun use. And to date, none of my guns have killed or injured a single person. Guess I've just been lucky...well, that, or it's because my guns are good guns...not those bad scary guns that many people believe should be made illegal.

I'm also one of those wackos who believe that criminals are the real problem, not their tool of choice. And I don't believe making guns illegal magically means that criminals won't have them. It just means that law abiding citizens won't.

All that said, I don't carry when I run. I have enough problems finding a home for my car/house key that doesn't irritate me. I have yet to find a carry option that works for me while running. If I lived in a part of the world where wild animals were a serious concern, I guess I'd need to revisit that.

If I was brought up in your culture I guess I would feel different. I am not saying your wrong by any means it just annoys me when people make ill thought comments about the uk and lack of guns. The majority are very happy with the gun laws here. When someone is shot here it usually makes national news, I am sure thats not the case in the US unless its a mass shooting.

I would feel majorly uncomfortable carrying a lethal weapon let alone knowing other people around me were. Your law abiding citizens can turn in a moment of madness, would I want them to have a gun in their pocket?

To me putting a gun in my bag would mean I would be living with a kind of paranoia I couldn't cope with. I live near a busy city, I worry about mugging and pickpockets, these things don't require a gun to protect myself. If I was attacked I think any weapon would be likely to be turned on me. I am sure a lot of people imagine themselves turning into bruce willis in die hard in a dangerous situation but this is not the case in most situations.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have been suggesting guns, knives, pepper spray, tazers, and dogs.

The problem with guns is that you need to know how to handle one, which requires range time.
    The problem with knives is that unless you are awesome with them, the attacker might be able to get it away from you and use it on you.
    The problem with pepper spray, as others have mention, can have to many variables.

Tazers are ok, but can also get wrestled away.

I like the dog option =P

Also, if you live near a university, some of them have indoor tracks, and are open to the public.

Self defense classes I think are one of your best options, besides you'll get a workout =P
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    I always run near houses. I also carry pepper spray... Its really old so it probably doesnt work anymore, but i feel safe :wink:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS have a knife on me. I keep the music volume down low enough so I can hear everything around me. I pay close attention to my surroundings, and I keep my ***** face on.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    personal opinions and cultural differences aside...I would probably end up accidentally shooting my butt off if I had a gun packed in my pants. Maybe some serious self defense training?

Yeah really
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Forgot my knife once, so I picked up a palm sized rock to carry with me. I'm more concerned about the cougars and coyote in the area. People not so much.