Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So mace is more effective than pepper spray?

My understanding is it isn't but again I don't have first hand experience with it. Either way it still has the same issues. They are both used in the same manner and my understanding is that pepper spray is more effective for incapacitating.

ETA - a lot of times people confuse the two.

Yeah I thought they were the same actually! Wondering what I should invest in if I do.. here, there are legalities about carrying a gun (extreme IMO) and a tazer.. I wouldn't want to get sued cause I tazered a guy who attacked me with no witnesses and he had some kind of medical problem.. you know legalities..

Another thing people confuse is taser and stun guns. Stun guns are pain compliance only and you need to make contact. Tasers send the little prongs with wires so you can maintain distance and If it is a good shot, it incapacitates. It is not possible to fight it. If only on gets in, it is basically the same as a stun gun, hurts like hell but not incapacitating. And they can also be used as a stun gun (again comes down to knowing your weapons :) )

I assume you are in the US so I can't really answer on the risks of lawsuits however tasers really do have a very low risk of death.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Do some research and seriously look into concealed carry. There are a lot of videos on Youtube from women's perspective and it might really help you rather than listening to a whole load of silly opinions.

A gun isn't a ticking time bomb waiting to magically go off in a holster. The trigger must be pulled, and as long as you're comfortable with your weapon and know how to handle/draw it, well.. that won't happen. Plus many guns do have a safety if you're paranoid (though the trigger is really a 'safety' itself).

Lots of people will always have varied opinions on this topic, but I'd highly suggest you just arm yourself and become very well versed with your weapon. Best of luck :flowerforyou:

ETA: Mace only does so much.. mostly will just irritate them. And if there are multiple people involved.. yeah. You may find yourself in a situation where mace just isn't enough. Carrying both isn't a bad idea if you're wanting a back up though.
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Take the dog along :drinker:

She doesn't have a dog.

I've asked neighbours before if I could take their dog for a run!! The dog loves it, I love it and the owners normally love it too!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

Really!! Thats so odd! So what do you do

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

What if the attacker turns the weapon around on you?

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.

Yeah, terrifying that we all have the right to defend ourselves and loved ones from attackers and intruders. How awful for us. :noway: Wild horses couldn't drag me to live in a country that refuses me the right to pack heat.

Sorry, but being sarcastic about it doesn't really help anybody does it? It may be a right to defend yourself, but look at all the attacks that happen on innocent civilians in the USA. It is quite scary that people are talking so openly about just carrying guns and knives. If I were to be carrying a knife around with me, what would stop an attacker to be wandering around freely with one too. And they would probably be in a much better position to use it on me, than I would on them. Furthermore I would then have no defense mechanism. Why was I carrying a knife in the first place? Why would you need one just casually wandering down the street? And what if something happened? Could they not just 'claim' self-defense too even if that was not the case?

I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person. I completely agree that it is madness that there is such an easy access to guns, when there are so many people in this world who are completely deluded and can cause such chaos and damage. Two wrongs don't make a right at the end of the day.

So, on the off chance my home is intruded by an armed criminal, I should just sit back and let them terrorize my family, because it would just be "quite scary" to own a gun of my own. Riiiiiiight.

Banning guns does not disarm the public. It only disarms the law abiding citizens, allowing criminals free licence to run around unchecked. I'm happy knowing that if someone opened fire in a subway station here, there would be a dozen other people ready gun him down before he caused more damage.
  • Pepper spray!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I live in a large city. I've honestly never worried about this.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person.
    This isn't possible. Anybody could be armed at any time. And if they are and you're not then you're not really going to have any line of defense against a potential attacker.
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that happened to you. I've had similar experiences while out walking or on a train or whatever... It sucks and we live in a society where plenty of people don't see this kind of behaviour as a problem (I've even been told I ought to be taking such incidents to be "compliments" - yuck). Basically, I just make sure I run where I'd be comfortable walking (you probably think less about walking somewhere on your own than running, but I'd be willing to bet that - in a populated area anyway - running is less likely to attract bother because you're moving faster). I tell someone where I'm going (roughly) - though just got dumped so will have to think who else to tell now! :-/ I also wear hi vis because I'm probably more likely to get run down than mugged/attacked in reality! I tend to not listen to music when I run (especially in countryside because I like to absorb it) but if I do I either turn it down or only have it in one ear to remain more aware of my surroundings. I personally would stay right away from carrying a weapon (some of the suggestions here have been massively illegal anyway, at least for where I live) though I suppose I have my keys in my pocket!
  • zen82
    zen82 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I worry about this two, I live in South East London, England and it can be dodgy at night. Also pepperspray and any other weapon is completely illegal here in the UK.

If I were to carry pepper spray/mace and spray it at an attacker it would be a premeditated attack on my behalf for carrying an illegal weapon or firearm.

Really!! Thats so odd! So what do you do

It's not that strange, to be honest I'm finding all the comments about packing a knife or a gun to be completely insane as it is so against our culture in the UK.

What if the attacker turns the weapon around on you?

I haven't had a lot of trouble, I don't make eye contact and just keep running with my headphones in. So whether someone has shouted me or not I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't know what to do if there was someone who directly approached me but I really, really don't think guns and knives are the answer. It's a massive problem and it's scary that you all have such easy access to guns.

Yeah, terrifying that we all have the right to defend ourselves and loved ones from attackers and intruders. How awful for us. :noway: Wild horses couldn't drag me to live in a country that refuses me the right to pack heat.

Sorry, but being sarcastic about it doesn't really help anybody does it? It may be a right to defend yourself, but look at all the attacks that happen on innocent civilians in the USA. It is quite scary that people are talking so openly about just carrying guns and knives. If I were to be carrying a knife around with me, what would stop an attacker to be wandering around freely with one too. And they would probably be in a much better position to use it on me, than I would on them. Furthermore I would then have no defense mechanism. Why was I carrying a knife in the first place? Why would you need one just casually wandering down the street? And what if something happened? Could they not just 'claim' self-defense too even if that was not the case?

I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person. I completely agree that it is madness that there is such an easy access to guns, when there are so many people in this world who are completely deluded and can cause such chaos and damage. Two wrongs don't make a right at the end of the day.

So, on the off chance my home is intruded by an armed criminal, I should just sit back and let them terrorize my family, because it would just be "quite scary" to own a gun of my own. Riiiiiiight.

Banning guns does not disarm the public. It only disarms the law abiding citizens, allowing criminals free licence to run around unchecked. I'm happy knowing that if someone opened fire in a subway station here, there would be a dozen other people ready gun him down before he caused more damage.

Why would you attack someone for not being comfortable with guns? That's allowed, there are arguments on both sides! Also, we're talking about *running* not "arming homes". Obviously anyone living in a country where it's illegal to carry a handgun/knife/other lethal weapon is *not* best advised to carry one, what with how they could very easily be *prosecuted for breaking the law* and that is totally aside from any ethical debates about bearing arms. I don't want to go to prison. And I doubt "runners: move to the US" is a practical suggestion for making anyone any safer.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I would rather be happy to walk around, knowing that people don't have guns on their person.
    This isn't possible. Anybody could be armed at any time. And if they are and you're not then you're not really going to have any line of defense against a potential attacker.

I couldn't live with such paranoia. its true that anyone could be armed (much lower chance where I live) but I couldn't walk out the door every day thinking that everyone is a potential murder/rapist. I take sensible precautions when I go out alone, like keep to well populated areas, get cabs home late at night etc.

I use the underground and buses most days, and someone could potentially attempt another 7/7 terrorist attack but I don't stop using public transport. You remain vigilant and get on with life.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Great post! I have had the same thing happen and it freaked me out. I live in a smaller town, too, and my favorite time to run would be early in the morning before work - around 4:30 or 5 am. I used to run on all the side streets, but as I got more confident, I wanted to go further so I started running into the next town. I stayed on the main road, but as I got more fit, I started having people yelling stuff, beeping, and have had a car that kept turning around and driving past me with their window down. After that, I turned into a chicken and would no longer run when it was still dark out. I miss it, though. I can't run without headphones and I loved the peace of the early morning, the dark, and my headphones. I hate running on tracks because it's boring with nothing to look at. I hate guns, hate knifes, would hurt myself with pepper spray and it would be a pain to carry. I read a few pages from the comments, I think I'll just stick to staying on the main road and running in the daylight and always have my phone with me. Fortunately, there are usually cops driving around since there is only one main road from my town to the next.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

I couldn't live with such paranoia. its true that anyone could be armed (much lower chance where I live) but I couldn't walk out the door every day thinking that everyone is a potential murder/rapist. I take sensible precautions when I go out alone, like keep to well populated areas, get cabs home late at night etc.

I use the underground and buses most days, and someone could potentially attempt another 7/7 terrorist attack but I don't stop using public transport. You remain vigilant and get on with life.
    I don't walk around assuming everybody I meet is considering raping me and I'm far from paranoid. You SHOULD be aware that it is possible though, and have a plan in place for how you would meet certain attackers IF it ever happened. If you plan a fire escape route you're not paranoid that your building will burst into flames, and if you carry a gun you're not walking around hoping you get to use it one day.

No disrespect meant to anybody who disagrees with carrying a weapon, but it's definitely in your best interest to have a better plan than blowing a whistle and hoping somebody stops to help before it's too late.
  • vlmcwilliams
    vlmcwilliams Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    women should carry guns period. preferably in .45 or 9mm, and preferably glock. There would be a lot less rapes and harassing if every man knew every woman was packing. Your pepper sprays and dogs are worthless and false sense of security. A reasonably strong man can headlock a dog with one arm, and snap its neck. And pepper spray runs the risk of blowing back into your own eyes, or missing altogether. Also most people stop with a gun to their face. Pepper spray wont stop anyone determined.

Funnily enough guns aren't legal in all countries so it's just not a feasible option. Same goes for knives (not even ok for self defence under criminal law here...) and even pepper spray is illegal. I either run at the gym, with my husband or during daylight hours.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options

I don't walk around assuming everybody I meet is considering raping me and I'm far from paranoid. You SHOULD be aware that it is possible though, and have a plan in place for how you would meet certain attackers IF it ever happened. If you plan a fire escape route you're not paranoid that your building will burst into flames, and if you carry a gun you're not walking around hoping you get to use it one day.

No disrespect meant to anybody who disagrees with carrying a weapon, but it's definitely in your best interest to have a better plan than blowing a whistle and hoping somebody stops to help before it's too late.

I understand being aware and taking precautions. For me that means keeping to well populated areas, telling people when I plan to be home, taking cabs late at night instead of walking. I don't want to arm myself because apart from the fact its illegal here I think the weapon could easily be turned on me.

I didn't mean any offence with the paranoia line, its just how it comes across to me, but we have grown up in different cultures. I have never even seen a gun, I wouldn't want to live in a country where they are readily available.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't live my life in fear. I try to avoid obviously dangerous places, times and situations, but that's it. I'm not armed when I run and I don't sit inside my house in terror thinking about bad guys. I gotta live my life. While backpacking I travel with at least one other person and I have pepper spray and a jagged, mean knife. I'm probably toast if something ever goes down, but the statistics are in my favor so I don't worry too much.

I don't run along public roads. Too many creepers in cars slowing down to whistle or pulling over to make comments and offer rides or dates or whatever. Running on roads just generally freaks me out. Once I had one creep in a van offer me a ride. When I declined he shouted, "Bi#ch!" and drove off. He then made a sudden U-turn and headed straight at me. I hopped a ditch and ran like crazy. His fat *kitten* couldn't follow thankfully.

The best thing about most creepers is that they are looking for convenient victims - like girls running along roads. Where I run in the hills, you have to be in shape to get there and back. Sure there are physically fit creepers, but there aren't as many. It's like the advice I got from a ranger one day. He said that if you're alone and unarmed, never camp within a half mile of a road. Most of the creeps want easy access in and out. It's too much effort to try and search out a victim who may be quite a ways in and the getaway isn't convenient. That's why there's very little crime in the backcountry areas. In his 20 years on the job he'd never heard of an attack in the backcountry where he was stationed, but there had been plenty of crimes along the roads. I've always felt safest way out in the middle of nowhere - except for the time the skunk tried to get in my tent!!!

Over the two decades that I've been running alone in the hills I've come across only one creeper. I was on an isolated trail. This guy was a very fit, attractive runner who stopped me to ask a question. I noticed pretty quickly that he was obviously a little "off" and unstable. He didn't want to let me go. He wanted to talk about how I was his soul mate and every time I tried to leave or made mention of my husband he would get physically agitated and start to move in on me. I don't know if he would have gotten crazy if I'd rejected him or not, but as long as I stayed friendly he was calm and non-threatening. I kinda felt stuck in a bad place and knew I needed to move to a more public trail. So I just stayed calm, smiled, pretended to stay interested and friendly. I told him to walk with me under the excuse of not wanting to cool down too much, and we made our way to the main trail. I saw another couple ahead, waved and ran up to them (pretending to know them) and just kept going with them. The wierd guy then faded away.

(I'm fairly confident that if the couple hadn't come along, I could have gotten the creeper to walk me to the visitor center and then given him a fake phone number to get rid of him.) Back at the visitor center I informed a ranger about him and stopped running in that area for several months after that. I mostly run with my sister now so I'm not alone (per my husband's request) but I still occasionally like to hike or run by myself on the more populated, family-friendly trails.
  • jynxxxed
    Options

I understand being aware and taking precautions. For me that means keeping to well populated areas, telling people when I plan to be home, taking cabs late at night instead of walking. I don't want to arm myself because apart from the fact its illegal here I think the weapon could easily be turned on me.

I didn't mean any offence with the paranoia line, its just how it comes across to me, but we have grown up in different cultures. I have never even seen a gun, I wouldn't want to live in a country where they are readily available.
    Definitely a cultural thing :tongue: where I live we take our right to bear arms seriously and prefer to rely on ourselves for protection rather than hoping other people don't have poor intentions.

A gun could only be turned on you if you're not well versed with it or you're open carrying and they can clearly see you're armed (possibly making it easier for them to take control of it). A weapon can be drawn and fired in a second easily if you're dealing with an attacker that is very close to you. Should everybody carry a gun? DEFINITELY not. It requires a lot of studying, training, practice, knowledge etc.

Regardless though, a plan should be in place for how to deal with any attacker and in my opinion a gun is the last line of defense. I'd be more afraid to live in a country/state that banned guns.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options

Yet still 1/5 US women is raped in her lifetime....interesting...

Although in only 4% of these cases the perpetrator is a stranger. Also if you look at the psychology of stranger rapists, it's all about power so they do generally only go for females that they perceive as being weak or an easy target. Having said that women running alone should do everything they can to protect themselves especially being alert and letting people know where you are going and when you will be back. But you can't go through life being scared to live.

For the record. The stats

- Someone with whom the respondent was in love: 46%
    - Someone that the respondent knew well: 22%
    - Acquaintance: 19%
    - Spouse: 9%
    - Stranger: 4%

Thank you for posting this! This thread is making me nuts with all its alarmism. It's as bad as parents who teach "stranger danger" and yet *never* get the message across to their kids that *no one*, even their favorite uncle or Mommy's new friend, is allowed to touch them in any way that makes the child uncomfortable.

The danger comes from those we trust and not listening to our instincts.

For the OP - I run with headphones, too. I'm not going to let a potential creeper change what I enjoy - then they win. I do keep the volume low enough that I can carry on a conversation if needed, I often have a buddy with me, and when I don't I go to places where I know others will be going by in cars or on foot.

I'm the opposite of what many have posted, I say hi to everyone who walks/runs past me. In the rare case there actually is an assailant, they're looking for the easy mark. Someone who is not paying attention and seems easy to overtake. Self defense classes teach you to be vocal and assertive. As attacker isn't looking for a fight. You don't need a weapon to be a b***h the sleazoid doesn't want to deal with.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    My favorite part about this thread is where it became a debate about guns.

Not.
  • blue696
    blue696 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    wear a reflective vest so other people and cars can see you and always have your phone with you!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

I need this!!!

I was going to say that I carry my gun, but this would make that even easier to do. Hmmm...