Do BMI's seem unrealistic to anyone else?

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...
    How do you know what your body fat % is?
    I have had several sites ask me for this info before anything else and i just have no clue...
    Go to your university kinesiology department and ask if someone can assess you either with calipers or a BIA device. Regardless of which you choose, it's simply an estimate that carries some error for various reasons.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...
    I have had several sites ask me for this info before anything else and i just have no clue...
    Go to your university kinesiology department and ask if someone can assess you either with calipers or a BIA device. Regardless of which you choose, it's simply an estimate that carries some error for various reasons.

honestly, those devices are just as accurate as this online calculator:

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think it's meant as an average and you have to be honest with yourself about what average really is for you. I suppose this is a rather useless opinion since other people have said this better over the last 15 pages. I can only share my own experiences and why I think BMI is still a useful tool.

For me, being an average-framed 5'7" woman in her 30s, BMI is a good gauge of what healthy weight is. The top of the BMI range for someone my size is 159 lbs. Currently, I am 20 lbs away from that, and yet I KNOW, from having run the gamut of weight in my adult life from weighing 117 lbs at 22 to weighing 197 last Christmas, that I will still be a chunky little monkey at 159 lbs. Dress size is not a good indicator of health, I realize, but at 159 lbs I will be BARELY out of the plus sizes.

The low end of BMI for my height is 118 lbs. When I was dancing 8 hours a day and weighing under 120 lbs I looked straight-up sickly. People would often ask me if I was feeling under the weather and my health practitioners told me to eat more even though I ate whatever I wanted and ate a LOT. I was just working it off at a deficit because I was so active.

I'm medium-framed, so neither the low end nor the high end of the BMI range works for me. I looked and felt amazing at about 135 - which, hey, is smack dab in the middle of normal BMI for someone my gender, size and frame. It's hard to figure out what your goals should be when you've been fat most of your life. To me, BMI is a happy medium to shoot for.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

Here are two calculators. You will need a tape measure. Their accuracy depends on where you carry your weight. I suggest taking an average of the two to get a general idea. Even if they aren't entirely accurate, the calculations will be consistent as you loose inches so it's a good way to track your progress.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    unless you have a large amount of muscle then no
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I guess that depends on how tall you are? That's a hard question to answer without info.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Which BMI are you using? There are 4 -6 different ones that I have found so far and using them I vary =/- 6. Even my Dr,, who has always been on me to lose wt told me the "charts" are off for my frame. Like everything else you do in this questuse it as a guide; its not engraved in stone.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

REALLY REALLY wish i hadnt done that now...it is 36% which is classed as obese....my BMI is 26.1 which is slightly overweight. Now i feel like utter ****...But more to work towards i guess
  • bring7
    bring7 Posts: 13
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

HAHA. By that, I'm obese right now with 30% body fat. And that's considering that a couple of pounds ago I slipped into the highest end of normal on BMI. I'd like to drop 10 pounds from where I am now...but I'm not seeing where I'm obese. I don't know if they are a gimmick, inaccurate or what, but one of those scanner things said I was 19% body fat. That's a lot of difference.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

REALLY REALLY wish i hadnt done that now...it is 36% which is classed as obese....my BMI is 26.1 which is slightly overweight. Now i feel like utter ****...But more to work towards i guess

Please check out the other one that I linked to!

The navy/military calculator gives me 36%, too, which I know is inaccurate because it only takes waist and hip and neck measurements. It over estimates BF% for people who carry their weight in their midsection.

The covert-bailey one also takes thighs and forearms against the wrist. This one will overestimate if you tend to carry your weight in your thighs.

Also make sure you are measuring your true waist, not x inches above the navel or at the navel. Your true waist is the narrowest part of your torso and its placement varies from person to person.
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

The navy/military calculator gives me 36%, too, which I know is inaccurate because it only takes waist and hip and neck measurements. It over estimates BF% for people who carry their weight in their midsection.

The covert-bailey one also takes thighs and forearms against the wrist. This one will overestimate if you tend to carry your weight in your thighs.

Also make sure you are measuring your true waist, not x inches above the navel or at the navel. Your true waist is the narrowest part of your torso and its placement varies from person to person.

OK themilitary one you gave me the ,link to said 34.7% and the covert-bailey one said 24.1 % that is a HUGE difference.....what am i supposed to do now lol
  • bring7
    bring7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

Here are two calculators. You will need a tape measure. Their accuracy depends on where you carry your weight. I suggest taking an average of the two to get a general idea. Even if they aren't entirely accurate, the calculations will be consistent as you loose inches so it's a good way to track your progress.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf

That one says I should weigh 174, which just so happens to be 1 pound away from the goal I set when I started. I think it's a lot more accurate than the others in my case.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

OK themilitary one you gave me the ,link to said 34.7% and the covert-bailey one said 24.1 % that is a HUGE difference.....what am i supposed to do now lol

I take an average of the two. For you that would be 29.4%. I also did a google search for pictures and descriptions of people with known BF%'s and compared them to my build, and figured that the average was fairly accurate for me.

I've had one person reply to these links and say that the average of the two numbers was spot on to what they were measured at by a professional. That doesn't mean it's going to be that accurate for you, but it seems to work okay.

Like I said, it's a good benchmark to track your progress.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    BMI is a joke! According to BMI guidelines I am considered Obese. I am 6"1, 226 lbs and I would have to look like Justin Bieber to be considered to be at a healthy weight.

Actually your BMI calculates to 29.8, which is overweight on BMI charts. But how does one outlier make something a joke?

i don't even think it's an outlier - it's just a shift in perception among an entire population as to what's considered "good", "normal", or what look is considered "desirable"

the BMI scale hasn't changed since it was designed in the 1850s... we have.

Actually it changed just recently. It actually made it that I was higher in BMI than before. Try again to use an excuse to be fat.

Wow. You have rendered me speechless yet again. What a completely asinine thing to say.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

interesting... the Navy Calc says 9% for me and the other you linked said 10% - although i guess the variation is going to be smaller at a certain point...

good point about accurate measurements
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

I take an average of the two. For you that would be 29.4%. I also did a google search for pictures and descriptions of people with known BF%'s and compared them to my build, and figured that the average was fairly accurate for me.

I've had one person reply to these links and say that the average of the two numbers was spot on to what they were measured at by a professional. That doesn't mean it's going to be that accurate for you, but it seems to work okay.

Like I said, it's a good benchmark to track your progress.

great call.

it's silly to just take the lower one because it makes you feel better, but you also shouldn't 100% buy into the higher number. measure your bf% with a bunch of calculators and average. that's gonna be just as accurate as any other method outside of water displacement or other more complicated tests.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The BMI is certainly interesting.
    I have *just* made my way in to the 'overweight' category (yay, lol!) and people are calling me 'skinny'.
    I'm NOT skinny by any means, but I sure don't look like I'm only 1lb under 'obese' either.
    Fairly certain I'll never get down to 'healthy' but I'd like to get to the lower end of overweight if I can :smile:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm very, very hourglassy - my waist is nearly 15" smaller than both my hips and boobs, think Christina Hendricks from Mad Men as she and I have nearly the same proportions - so body fat measurements are always very unhelpful for me. Even pushing 200 lbs at 5'7" with very little lean muscle, these indices were telling me my body fat was in the 25% range and that I was totally fit, which just isn't true. I just carry all my fat where the BF indices don't measure.
  • charliemarie923
    Options
    I think im going to pretend i never saw any of my BF%....sorry for highjacking the thread!!
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dont all shout at me...

For the military one, use the smallest part of your torso as your waist and your hips should NOT be the widest part from a front view, but a side view. The tape should pass across your buttocks. Per the military instruction. Should result in a dramatic decrease in percentage and bring it closer to Covert Bailey.