Ladies-How do you stay safe while jogging alone?

Options

Replies

• DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Stun gun that has a clip on it so I can hook it to myself. I'd take my dog but pretty sure a mini doxie isn't threatening.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    LOL @ all the gun freaks in here

If you need to carry a gun to go for a jog, then I think it's time to stay indoors. LOL @ all the brainless nitwits in this country who think the answer to every societal problem is carrying a gun. Yeah, dude, you're so much more American now. That's really cool the Constitution is your guide to living. Oh, did you want a beer?

Just be cautious in life, period. That's all you can do. If you have to start loading one in the chamber before you set out to do your stupid little 3 mile loop, then no one really wants you apart of our civilization. Stay home, meditate, and get your chakras in order.

Ok, fine, you can have your opinion about guns but the rest of what yuo have to say is pure idiocy. No one said they only jog 3 miles. I know plenty of women who run half and full marathons! Stop being sexist and making assumptions that just because we're women that we're cardio bunnies. And when you know what it's like to be raped, or ogled simply because you have breasts, we can talk. Otherwise keep your damn condescending comments to yourself. Jerk...

Back to the OP. I skipped the last 8 pages since this thread is blowing up but here's what I do:
    - no music
    - pay attention! This is not just about other people but about cars as well. Have you see the statistics on distracted driving lately? More and more people are paying too much attention to their phones and not enough attention to the road.
    - make eye contact with everyone passing by me
    - carry cell and wear Road ID with contact info, allergy info and insurance info (not a protectant but good to have in case something happens and easier than worrying about having pockets to carry my driver's license and insurance card.
    - if someone talks to me, I try to be somewhat polite and say hi back but I don't break stride
    - no running after dark
    - only run in high traffic (cars and/or people) areas

I thought about buying a taser or stun gun, especially when we were having some issues last year and got a restraining order to protect ourselves from a neighbors crazy friend. But I'm so clumsy, I'd be afriad that I'd hurt myself instead of hurt the other guy. LOL! And yeah, I've been in buildings where pepper spary has gone off and that stuff is horrendous! You're just as likely to debilitate yourself as the other guy if your aim is off and/or the wind blows just right.
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I run on heavily travelled roads...make eye contact with people passing by. If you look down, you seem meek, if you look them in the eye you seem assertive. That's creepy with the guy stopping. I'd take a different route for awhile (another safet tip, don't create predicatible routines).
  • McCustard
    McCustard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have a safe, well-lit route and only go in daytime or early evening. Also, you could always take a martial arts class just in case! I heard of this one woman who was attacked by two men whilst jogging, however unluckily for them she was a black belt in kung fu - one of them pulled a knife on her but she managed to make him drop it. She didn't have a scratch on her!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    So basically long story short: take all precautions that are possible to take (take a safe route, well lit, populated, etc) and avoid stopping to speak with anybody.

Back up methods would include a small blade, taser, mace and other various secondary weapons depending on what's legal for you to carry (some require CWP, check local law beforehand)

If your country allows it then you should research potentially carrying concealed as a final backup. Especially in the US, most men do arm themselves and so many women out there are afraid to even touch a gun because they have never been properly trained how to use one. Youtube videos help, there are many classes that help & when you get your CWP there is a lot of training there as well. It's not as scary as many think, and if you're facing somebody else who is armed then it's one of the few viable options.

Ultimately go with whatever you're comfortable with and is legal, but please don't just carry a whistle and rely on others to help you. Learn how to defend yourself in any scenario and have a plan otherwise if something DOES happen you will not even have time to regret your lack of preparations.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Carry a knife and look as unattractive as possible. It works for me. ;-)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So basically long story short: take all precautions that are possible to take (take a safe route, well lit, populated, etc) and avoid stopping to speak with anybody.

Back up methods would include a small blade, taser, mace and other various secondary weapons depending on what's legal for you to carry (some require CWP, check local law beforehand)

If your country allows it then you should research potentially carrying concealed as a final backup. Especially in the US, most men do arm themselves and so many women out there are afraid to even touch a gun because they have never been properly trained how to use one. Youtube videos help, there are many classes that help & when you get your CWP there is a lot of training there as well. It's not as scary as many think, and if you're facing somebody else who is armed then it's one of the few viable options.

Ultimately go with whatever you're comfortable with and is legal, but please don't just carry a whistle and rely on others to help you. Learn how to defend yourself in any scenario and have a plan otherwise if something DOES happen you will not even have time to regret your lack of preparations.

Exactly.

I would only add train on any weapon you take. Know how it works, what to expect, the weaknesses and how you will access it/use it.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Find a jogging buddy, only run during daylight hours, get a can of pepper spray, or find an indoor jogging track.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I would only add train on any weapon you take. Know how it works, what to expect, the weaknesses and how you will access it/use it.
    I can't tell you how many women I've seen carrying a knife that they can barely open :laugh: training is definitely key!
  • ourglasswalls
    ourglasswalls Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to read everyone's answer but here is mine. First of all, stop running with your headphones on if your going to run outside. It is much harder to be aware of your surroundings if you can't hear anything. I noticed a lot of people recommended weapons. Just make sure you know how to use them properly and you aren't afraid to actually use them. Practice, including pepper spray.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Get a dog.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I open carry when at home.

No one is going to mess with me with my .45 on my hip.

At school, I jog in a safe area of a gated community during the day.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    I carry pepper spray with me and run where there are houses, no woods or anything. Also, if I am running alone I dont listen to my music so I can hear everything around me. I also try to bring my phone as well.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts with a holster built in.

undertech_compression_short1sm.jpg

Most definitely this!
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a dog and a 2 million volt taser/falsh light. I got the taser on Amazon.com for about $30.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if anyone attacks you, just kick their *kitten*.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just don't jog alone. I take one or both of my dogs. No one knows they are big sweet harmless babies.... one is 120 pounds, the other is 140 pounds so they seem to be pretty intimidating.

I bet if someone tried to harm you, they would not be so sweet. Dogs mean business if someone tries to hurt the people they love.
  • JENNTF
    JENNTF Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would carry a whistle around my neck, and carry a can of Mace. Take a friend with you, and maybe take a self defense class. I think every women should take a self defense class now-a-days.

Also, you might want to consider getting a dog, awesome companion all the way around, not just a running companion.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would run with my dog but he wouldn't scare anyone! The three dogs in my house (see my profile picture) would not deter anyone.

I carry a can of dog spray... only because pepper spray is illegal here in Canada... guns are also illegal to carry here as well so that's not an option for me. I also carry a small pocket knife on my keys. When I run outside I am either with my husband or I run with only one headphone being worn if at all. Wearing headphones can make you more of a target and less aware... especially with loud music. If I am alone I always make sure I have my cell phone with me as well just in case. I don't go out after dark (there is a not so great neighbourhood not too far from where I live) alone.

A weird, but great little bit of protection is keeping your keys between your fingers. They can be used as a weapon if you have to and don't have anything else with you. One key between each finger... kind of like brass knuckles but pointy keys.

I also always make sure I tell someone where I am running and what time I should be back. I have never had any issues even in my old neighbourhood where I would run past drug deals and shady people quite often. You can never be too careful though.

Get a dog if you can.... a big dog. It will make you feel a bit safer. A scary looking dog will deter people even if you know the dog wouldn't hurt a fly.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Jog with your car key poking out between your fingers, in a fist. I do that when I'm walking to my car in a deserted area. Then you can just punch the guy in the eye with the key and it'll give you time to run away.