The 1 Ingredient Diet

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I prefer the 4-ingredient diet: Water, barley, yeast, hops.

WINNER!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    "is it sustainable 100% of the time? nope."

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.

Have you ever looked the variety of fruit, vegetables and protein that are available? The diet anything but limited. The possibilities are endless.

Yes! But the original post implies that one shouldn't combine them.

no it doesn't.

Then we agree to disagree. The Original Post led me (and some others) to assume this diet, aptly named "The 1 Ingredient Diet" means you do not eat anything "together" with more than one ingredient. You can't mix your oats with cooked apple, cinnamon & milk, for example...

That's how I read it, and I stand by the fact that I think that is boring. I am currently eating a salad of at least 10 ingredients... and there's pepper on my chicken, so I'm screwed.
    I like how you cut off my response. That's cute. If you or anyone else can't understand the idea behind the original post, then you are truly sad. Carry on.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. ONE bottle of slim fast. Good to go.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. That would be the take away of someone looking for a straw man. I suppose everyone should start adding a layer of fine print to every post so that people who delight in smearing the original idea will have no reason to attack.

That would be the take away of someone who read the original post, didn't assume that it meant something other than what it said. The OP, without expounding, said that an apple is okay because it has one ingredient, but that an otherwise undescribed box of whole grain cereal is not . . . because it has too many ingredients for the OP to remember or pronounce.

It's not called the no-additives diet, it's not called the no-chemicals diet, it's not called the no-preservatives diet. It's called the 1-ingredient diet.

Don't accuse me of making a straw man out of that!
  • drillfork
    Options
    Not that I give this diet plan much credence, but my "healthy whole grain cereal" of choice actually does only have one ingredient: Whole Grain Wheat (100%). Shredded Wheat is exactly what it says on the tin!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I like how you cut off my response. That's cute. If you or anyone else can't understand the idea behind the original post, then you are truly sad. Carry on.

She quoted coach reddy, not you. Keep up if you're going to be slinging insults and making accusations.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The people that you call trolls - I assume including myself - are trying to demonstrate the limitations of an arbitrarily and severely limited diet.

Have you ever looked the variety of fruit, vegetables and protein that are available? The diet anything but limited. The possibilities are endless.

no it doesn't.

Then we agree to disagree. The Original Post led me (and some others) to assume this diet, aptly named "The 1 Ingredient Diet" means you do not eat anything "together" with more than one ingredient. You can't mix your oats with cooked apple, cinnamon & milk, for example...

That's how I read it, and I stand by the fact that I think that is boring. I am currently eating a salad of at least 10 ingredients... and there's pepper on my chicken, so I'm screwed.

I didn't quote you nor cut you off, sweetheart. I think it's sad that you can't read correctly. Go try and belittle elsewhere, because you chose the wrong person here...
  • AmythistRae
    AmythistRae Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for the post...It helps actually...it floors me how many people on here need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. Can it not just be a great post about eating all natural food? The post led to believe blah blah blah....Why can it not just be...great advice to live by????
    Thanks original poster....
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Subsequent commenters have stated that it's okay if you, the consumer, combine them.

But what difference does it make if my wife cooks dinner for me?

This nutrition decision that the OP is describing is not, I believe, what is intended.

Preservatives are not food - no one argues that. If your objective is to eat FOOD you would ideally not eat preservatives, or artificial colors.

But that's different than not having a salad.

The original post was not clear in what it is describing. As someone posted earlier, "sugar" can be considered a single ingredient as well.

This is just a theory of nutrition that is not very well expressed and could be misleading to people looking for a healthier life.

I support this statement because it seems to imply if I read between the lines correctly while blurring my eyes and crossing them that wives need not cook. THAT"S my kind of diet!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i guarantee you the OP meant that when he goes shopping he only buys foods with one ingredient. what you make with those foods is entirely up to you.

everyone splitting hairs is creating an argument out of nothing.

if we want to be anal about it, the OP also didn't say you can't eat one ingredient foods WITH other one ingredient foods now did he?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    your body just sees a vat of chemicals reguardless of what it is you eat...

</Thread>

Why are we still discussing this. That was the hard truth of the matter.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post...It helps actually...it floors me how many people on here need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. Can it not just be a great post about eating all natural food? The post led to believe blah blah blah....Why can it not just be...great advice to live by????

Because to a lot of people, it's NOT great advice to live by.

I like what I eat, and I'm doing quite well on what I eat. I, personally, couldn't stomach a "1 Ingredient Diet" for more than 1 day.

And, if we are to assume he means one thing and not another, then it needs to be presented as such. It floors you that people need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. IF we don't judge a post by what it literally says, then what's the point?

This is a text based communication, there is no inflection, there is no facial expressions or body language to go gauge what the poster is trying to convey, so it's left up to a persons personal beliefs, mood, personality, etc to distinguish what the post means to them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Just for clarification, I'd like to ask people to weigh in since it's Friday and things tend to "come up" on the weekends that divert my diet.... Is a wiener 1 ingredient? If I don't add the buns or condomints?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Because to a lot of people, it's NOT great advice to live by.

I like what I eat, and I'm doing quite well on what I eat. I, personally, couldn't stomach a "1 Ingredient Diet" for more than 1 day.

And, if we are to assume he means one thing and not another, then it needs to be presented as such. It floors you that people need to judge posts based on literal and ridiculous. IF we don't judge a post by what it literally says, then what's the point?

This is a text based communication, there is no inflection, there is no facial expressions or body language to go gauge what the poster is trying to convey, so it's left up to a persons personal beliefs, mood, personality, etc to distinguish what the post means to them.

And the OP in NO WAY said that you HAVE to adopt his diet now did he? Again, the persecution complex........
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I get the principle behind this, but anything rule-based is off-putting to me. (Kind of like zero-tolerance policies - I dont like them because no thought is applied.) So the idea is to eat whole foods, but I find that to be over restrictive.

On this plan, some corn with a little oil and salt on it is fine. But Fritos or Tostitos aren't. They're the same thing.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, I'd like to ask people to weigh in since it's Friday and things tend to "come up" on the weekends that divert my diet.... Is a wiener 1 ingredient? If I don't add the buns or condomints?

Just don't buy those cheese dogs with the cheese in the middle. That's two ingredients.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    How many ingredients are in crap?

Exactly. And there are even more ingredients in bull**** :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    i guarantee you the OP meant that when he goes shopping he only buys foods with one ingredient. what you make with those foods is entirely up to you.

everyone splitting hairs is creating an argument out of nothing.

if we want to be anal about it, the OP also didn't say you can't eat one ingredient foods WITH other one ingredient foods now did he?
    so at what level does ANYTHING you eat befome one ingredient?

While I would never deny a diet based off whole foods isn't healthy or desired, the whole mentality that processed/premade is bad for being such is just silly. If something is still MOSTLY whole foods and has a little here and there added for flavoring that doesn't make it unhealthy.

Also if you moderate certain processed foods and that food NEEDS preservatives to prevent MICROBES (the main culprit in the safety of your food) and your body has perferctly capable detoxification/metabolic methods (as studied by as nausium studies prior to introduction in foods), then that is likely NOT causing even a remotely unacceptable risk/detriment to your health.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Partial list of ingredients of an apple

Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver

Hmm, do those actually qualify as "ingredients"?

"An ingredient is a substance that forms part of a mixture"

Right. I'm just questioning whether an apple really fits the intent of that description.
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Have we forgotten that 100 years ago (and still in parts of the world today) EVERYBODY ate a 1-ingredient diet.
    There was no fast food, there was very few boxed mixes and pre-packaged foods available at the grocery store.
    People bought single ingredients and combined them together to make real food -- in my childhood we called it "from scratch".

I saw a FB post the other day showing people how to combine all these ingredients from their cabinets into zip lock bags and "make their own boxed brownie mix"
    lol, I never saw my mother or grandmother cook brownies from a box.

I do my best to cook from scratch most nights of the week. Where I get into trouble is adding soups or sauces to things. I don't have the time/energy to make scratch cream of mushroom soup just to add 1/2 cup to a casserole.

I have taught my daughter how to make pancakes and biscuits without pre-packaged mixes. She makes awesome brownies with coffee in them that she learned watching the foot network.
    I create homemade "hamburger helper" on a regular basis with real cheese and milk. Learning to make a corn starch white sauce changed my life!

When comparing two options at the grocery store, I look for two things:
    1) which one identifies as made in USA, Canada, or Mexico? If it's local, even the better!
    2) which one is closer to a "whole" food -- fewer alphabet ingredients

On the other hand, I was sitting in a restaurant the other day and watched a fellow implement the extreme "1 ingredient" diet technique that the trolls would like ---
    He ordered a bacon double cheeseburger, when it came to the table, he separated all the parts onto his plate, cut them up individually with a knife, and then ate with a fork in order, all of the burger, all of the cheese, all of the bacon, all of the tomato, all of the lettuce, two pickles, and then the bun. Of course none of the parts touched each other on his plate. The waitress brought him a big platter for a single burger, so apparently he does this in there all the time. I wanted to send him a hot fudge sundae with nuts and a cherry just to see what would happen (I think he would have exploded).