I've tried it all, but I cannot lose any weight!

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Either you're a troll, have some serious attention issues, or you're just stupid. I'm sick of lazy people saying they have tried it all when they probably spent 2 weeks on a diet or workout regime. If you're from the States this is what is wrong with our country. Everyone is looking for a quick fix. Do some back research if you are not willing to accept the advice people are giving you here. If you have truly tried everything like you have said then something would have clicked by now. You're lazy and you probably won't succeed if you keep your current attitude up. No one is going to give you the body you want, only you can do that!

Don't take my post the wrong way but you're the type of person that needs tough love and to hear the truth in order to be motivated. Take your pity party some where else, no one is interested in your sob story.

PM me sometime if you wanna talk but take your crying elsewhere.
    Well look at mr.6 pack. I KNOW this is harder for me to lose weight because of Genetics. My mother, grandmother along with many other women in my family are overweight. I was always able to stay at a decent size. Until recently.
    I'm not a troll or stupid. You don't know what this is like because men naturally are able to lose weight faster than women. I'm not lazy either. You haven't seen how hard I've been working. Again, you can stop posting here if you don't like the topic.

1) Most of my family is over weight as well. They blame genetics to. They've even gone so far as to tell me that there is no point in trying to lose weight. Guess what, I started working out last year at 260lbs, I'm down to 206lbs now. I didn't do it all counting calories, but when I started counting calories (and I'm eating more than 1200 a day) I went down 11 lbs in about a month (first 2 weeks there wasn't much change, 3rd week was when it really kicked in). So I call bull on the "its genetics" theory.

2) I'm a woman and I'm even losing weight faster than my husband. Being a woman isn't an excuse to not lose weight.

3) There is no quick fix. It takes hard work, time and dedication.

4) You asked for advice and instead of taking in what is being said All I see are a bunch of excuses as to why it won't work for you. I hear the same crap from my mother, but I see it for what it is a load of crap. Until your attitude changes a little, I don't see how any diet or exercise plan would work.

5) If you were hungry the last time you tried counting calories, then you weren't eating enough. I never go to bed hungry and I still lose weight.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    When you logged your food, how long did you do it for? A week, a month?
    You clearly didn't give it enough of a shot for you to notice any patterns or triggers.

Just log your food - CONSISTENTLY - and learn what makes you tick. Then, work out a plan to change what you're doing.

We can't give you a quick fix - if it was THAT easy we'd all be skinny! You have to WANT to do this, not just half-*kitten* it and hope someone will take pity on you and give you the answer sheet because you can't be bothered to work (it) out for yourself.

Life's hard pal, get used to it.

PS. drink more water.
    Tried this as well. But isn't water weight a concern??
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't, but you have been given all the proper information you need to get you started on your weight loss journey from the other members here. It just sounds to me like you are not really ready try. That is ok to admit. I've been there, wanting to lose weight but not really wanting to put the effort in it to do it correctly. I would limit my food to almost nothing to avoid exercise. WRONG. I've been on diets where I ate nothing but grapes. WRONG. I've tried pills. WRONG. I ate what I thought was healthy without measuring. WRONG. The first time I measured what a real serving of cereal looks like I was in shock!! You have got to do the work. ALL of it. Find you TDEE. Go to Fat2FitRadio.com and punch in your numbers. It will walk you through everything and tell you what your calorie intake should be based on your activity level. Remember that number. Then eat below it. You HAVE to log your food intake. There really is no way around that. Losing weight takes a lot of work, some pain, and an extraordinary patience. PATIENCE. To lose weight safely and correctly this is what it takes. If you're not ready, you're not ready and that's ok. But really, this is what it takes.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    1) Calculate your body fat percentage (BF%)

2) Calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR)

3) Calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)

4) Based on your BF%, determine what deficit is best for you. (TDEE-20%, 15% or 10%)

OR in lieu of steps 1-4, use MFP's deficit recommendation.

5) Log your calories accurately and consistently, and eat at that deficit for at least 8 weeks.

If you want to do this, we will help you. We have all the resources you need.

If you don't want to do this, you're barking up the wrong tree. MFP is a calorie counting site. And unless you've actually done what I've outlined above, don't come here and tell us it doesn't work!

Exactly! I was like you "I've tried everything and nothing works, exercise my brains out day after day & not lose a pound". :angry:

Follow the above advice - get your numbers & see what calorie count you should try. Find a couple "go-to" breakfasts & lunches that you can rotate. Plan your dinners ahead of time. It the morning I know what I'm having for my three main meals. While I'm having my morning coffee I jump on here and log all of my meals. While I have my lunch I get back on this site & log my exercise for the day & make any changes I may have made to breakfast & lunch. By this time I can see if I'm over or under any of my macros & know before I go home if I need to make changes to the rest of my day. By having those set breakfast & lunches logged in already I can quickly scroll back to the last day I ate it & copy it to the new day. In all reality by doing a bit of pre-planning I could log all of my meals & see my caloric intake in less than 20 minutes a day and add another couple minutes once a week to add your weight & measurements.

I don't want to sound mean but from what I've read so far it looks like you've probably spent enough time so far reading our posts offering you help & complaining that you could have in all reality had enough time to plan your meals & log you calories for a week. We aren't denying this is a struggle but look at the numbers these people are pulling & what is their advice?? Get your numbers, pre plan your meals, measure your food & count your calories. We are here to help but you have to want it & at least listen & try what we are telling you. Good luck & don't be afraid to make friends. We are all on the same journey but you have to want to come with us not go in the other direction
  • imjusme
    imjusme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ensure you are getting enough sleep! Also, when stressed your body produces cortisol which can be a big deterrent to fat loss. So try a yoga class, meditation, or journal writing because all the worry about losing weight may be causing stress.
    I know you don't want to count calories but if you really want advice from all the people who have been successful...they need to see exactly what you have been doing. You have to measure and weigh and pay close attention. My friend recently sabotaged herself by adding 368 calories of cream in her coffee (when she finally measured it she figured it out).
    Unfortunately logging and weighing, and planning is a lot of work and I think that is why it is so easy to give up. It really can be a part time job. However, if it is worth it you will do it right?
    I read it takes 21 days to form a habit..try logging calories for 21 days. Keep track of your exercise, what you do and when. Add weight training, you won't bulk...you will tone and your muscles will then work for you and burn extra calories even at rest.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    When yo counted calories - Were you hungry all the time because you were not eating a large variety of food including vegs/fruits? How were your macros at the time?

Counting can fail when what you eat leaves you hungry because it is not sufficiently nutrient dense and varied.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    How long did you give your attempts? You have yet to answer that question that has been asked many times before.

Switching out a cheeseburger for a turkey burger won't help if there are other areas of your diet that are high calorie. Sometimes what seems like the better option calorie wise isn't. A cesear salad for example can have more calories and more fat than a cheeseburger but the salad obviously seems like the better option.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    I don't mean to sound rude, really I don't, but you have been given all the proper information you need to get you started on your weight loss journey from the other members here. It just sounds to me like you are not really ready try. That is ok to admit. I've been there, wanting to lose weight but not really wanting to put the effort in it to do it correctly. I would limit my food to almost nothing to avoid exercise. WRONG. I've been on diets where I ate nothing but grapes. WRONG. I've tried pills. WRONG. I ate what I thought was healthy without measuring. WRONG. The first time I measured what a real serving of cereal looks like I was in shock!! You have got to do the work. ALL of it. Find you TDEE. Go to Fat2FitRadio.com and punch in your numbers. It will walk you through everything and tell you what your calorie intake should be based on your activity level. Remember that number. Then eat below it. You HAVE to log your food intake. There really is no way around that. Losing weight takes a lot of work, some pain, and an extraordinary patience. PATIENCE. To lose weight safely and correctly this is what it takes. If you're not ready, you're not ready and that's ok. But really, this is what it takes.
    Thanks. I've been looking for something like this....its telling me that my body fat is within a healthy range though...
  • smw1023
    smw1023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have read every word of this post and just want to add a different reason for logging...I was "doing everything right, eating healthy, etc" EXCEPT that when I started logging per the advice of my doctor, I saw in black and white that I was undereating. I have excuses if I wish to use them-genetics, hypothyroid, I work a physical job but it really came down to my body hanging on to everything I ate because it did not know when the next meal would come. It took me a few weeks, months maybe to up my calories, the fear of eating more after gaining weight eating less was scary. Now I don't sleep well if I don't get close to my calorie goal (+exercise cals) each day. It does come down to logging tho, I never would have believed how much I was not eating was causing weight gain without seeing it. Measuring, logging, counting may be tedioous but it works. Try again, seriously.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    1) Calculate your body fat percentage (BF%)

2) Calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR)

3) Calculate your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)

4) Based on your BF%, determine what deficit is best for you. (TDEE-20%, 15% or 10%)

OR in lieu of steps 1-4, use MFP's deficit recommendation.

5) Log your calories accurately and consistently, and eat at that deficit for at least 8 weeks.

If you want to do this, we will help you. We have all the resources you need.

If you don't want to do this, you're barking up the wrong tree. MFP is a calorie counting site. And unless you've actually done what I've outlined above, don't come here and tell us it doesn't work!

Exactly! I was like you "I've tried everything and nothing works, exercise my brains out day after day & not lose a pound". :angry:

Follow the above advice - get your numbers & see what calorie count you should try. Find a couple "go-to" breakfasts & lunches that you can rotate. Plan your dinners ahead of time. It the morning I know what I'm having for my three main meals. While I'm having my morning coffee I jump on here and log all of my meals. While I have my lunch I get back on this site & log my exercise for the day & make any changes I may have made to breakfast & lunch. By this time I can see if I'm over or under any of my macros & know before I go home if I need to make changes to the rest of my day. By having those set breakfast & lunches logged in already I can quickly scroll back to the last day I ate it & copy it to the new day. In all reality by doing a bit of pre-planning I could log all of my meals & see my caloric intake in less than 20 minutes a day and add another couple minutes once a week to add your weight & measurements.

I don't want to sound mean but from what I've read so far it looks like you've probably spent enough time so far reading our posts offering you help & complaining that you could have in all reality had enough time to plan your meals & log you calories for a week. We aren't denying this is a struggle but look at the numbers these people are pulling & what is their advice?? Get your numbers, pre plan your meals, measure your food & count your calories. We are here to help but you have to want it & at least listen & try what we are telling you. Good luck & don't be afraid to make friends. We are all on the same journey but you have to want to come with us not go in the other direction
    I'm working on it..... Its not complaining. I really HAVE been doing all I can. Even my friends have noticed my change in diet and exercise.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    How long did you give your attempts? You have yet to answer that question that has been asked many times before.

Switching out a cheeseburger for a turkey burger won't help if there are other areas of your diet that are high calorie. Sometimes what seems like the better option calorie wise isn't. A cesear salad for example can have more calories and more fat than a cheeseburger but the salad obviously seems like the better option.
    I tried it for at least 2-3 weeks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You clearly didn't give it enough of a shot for you to notice any patterns or triggers.

Just log your food - CONSISTENTLY - and learn what makes you tick. Then, work out a plan to change what you're doing.

We can't give you a quick fix - if it was THAT easy we'd all be skinny! You have to WANT to do this, not just half-*kitten* it and hope someone will take pity on you and give you the answer sheet because you can't be bothered to work (it) out for yourself.

PS. drink more water.

It can mask 'real' weight loss, which is exactly the reason you need to give something enough time to show results.
  • queenbea77
    Options

PS. drink more water.

Watch your sodium intake - drink plenty of water & you won't have the water weight. For me if I have anything salty or even a diet pop I know I'm going to be up a pound or two but drinking plenty of water brings it right back down. Friend me if you like
  • dollylohaze
    Options
    I agree that you need to log, and that's not personal - everyone who wants to lose weight does.

However, have you been checked for food allergies or intolerances? If you suffer from IBS-like symptoms then you might be intolerant to something or other and thats causing the plateau. That's how it went for me. Two years stuck at the same weight and then it turned out I was allergic to gluten and dairy, dropped them out of my diet and ate MORE calories than I previously was and I lost more than half a stone in two weeks. My body was clearly under a lot of stress. Also the symptoms cleared up :)

Having said that, please take the time to log your calories, if only to make it easier for yourself.

Also I really don't think its harder for you to lost weight than anyone else. Pretty much everyone in my family is significantly overweight, doesn't mean I have to be.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Nevermind.
  • skullcrushergurl
    Options
    Thanks. I've been looking for something like this....its telling me that my body fat is within a healthy range though...

OH that link, that link is within the links i already posted to you that you keep on ignoring... I told you the answers you're looking for are in there.
    Sorry.... I wasn't ignoring you. But I wasn't sure how to calculate it on my own.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You need to stick to it for longer. Water weight fluctuations, which can mask 'real' weight loss, can be impacted by a myriad of things, including our cycle - which, as that is on a 4 week cycle - you need to give it at least 4 weeks, and preferably 6 to actually determine whether it is working or not.
  • queenbea77
    Options

OH that link, that link is within the links i already posted to you that you keep on ignoring... I told you the answers you're looking for are in there.

Listen to this guy!! He knows what he's talking about. Look at his weight loss - amazing so he's doing something right. I look for his posts & read them over & over again.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Its kind of like noone read my post. I HAVE tried counting calories a while back. That did not work.
    I was always left hungry. And even when I was able to follow through, the results weren't significant.
    And its not just as easy as typing something in and logging it. I don't always know how many calories the food at my University has so I tried to log in something but it was most likely incorrect.

It DOES work. lol

1. Always hungry? Eat foods that are more filling. Proteins and fibers. Example. A whole cup of broccoli is 30-40 calories. Chicken. Whole grains. Go for gold.
    2. If if goes into your mouth, track it. :blushing:
    3. Do your homework. Calculations. Look up "In Place of a Road Map" on here. That will help.
    4. My mom is chunky. My dad was chunky. I don't blame genetics. Neither does my dad. He runs everyday. Lost a decent amount of weight. Has a belly because he eats too many peanut clusters. He owns that.

You remind me of my mother. She "exercises" but never breaks a sweat. She doesn't understand why she's not losing weight but she doesn't track her calories. *facepalm*

Boom.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

2-3 weeks is not nearly enough time.

Stop expecting instant results. Weight loss takes time especially when you don't have a lot to lose.

Stop quitting when you aren't getting what you want. You will never proceed if you do that. If you don't lose a week or two or three don't quit... keep going. Don't assume that it's just not working.