Couch to 5k Anyone?

Options

Replies

• amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    ok, I did W4D2 today. It was hot, the middle jog seemed harder than the last one though. I wanted to mention a couple of things that have come up here, 1. DH says I shouldn't jog with my iphone, just my ipod, because the iphone has a hard drive and not a flashdrive or something like that, so I wanted to share that in case it really will break, I don't know though...
    2. I have been trying the "Chi of Running" and it suggests striking on the mid-foot right under your hip, so people who get shin splints should try this, it claims that injuries are a result of bad form, so if you want the youtube links let me know, I got them on here, I think it helps, I haven't had any pain since I started!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to report my whole post, but check out my thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/104622-wear-your-weight?page=1#posts-1445400
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Finished W5D3. Went well, but I know I did not get 2 miles done in 20 minutes. I think my speed was around 4.4 ...slow I know. I will work on speed later. Hope you're all doing well with this! Keep at it! Pretty soon we'll all be done and jogging will be a breeze for us! Have a great 4th!
  • Saloule
    Saloule Posts: 19
    Options
    I have an iPhone app called 'Get Running (Couch to 5k)' and it's really great. It logs all the runs for you and advises you as to when you should take your next run. I've found it really helpful. :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I did week 4 day 3 today and it was fine. I am scared of week 5 though, I'm not sure I am ready to run 20 min all at once?
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    I was the same way, I got through the whole week with flying colors, just pace yourself :) You can do it!!
  • sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I get to run week 2, day 2 tomorrow! Even though it's only 90 seconds running, I'm kinda impressed by my sticking with it....
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I started Week 1, day 1 today. I wanted to tell someone, so I'd be accountable to do day 2 on Monday.
    What time of day do you find works best for your runs? I have 2 small girls, and I'm thinking early morning before work might be the best time for me, but I am so not a morning person, that I'm not sure how I'll get myself out of bed any earlier....
  • chicagomom
    chicagomom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Finshed week 3 today, ready for week 4. This has been a good program so far.
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    I started Week 1, day 1 today. I wanted to tell someone, so I'd be accountable to do day 2 on Monday.
    What time of day do you find works best for your runs? I have 2 small girls, and I'm thinking early morning before work might be the best time for me, but I am so not a morning person, that I'm not sure how I'll get myself out of bed any earlier....
    Early mornings for sure, whether it's on a treadmil or outside( temp isn't too bad, shouldn't be too high in traffic depending where you are). Good luck and enjoy!!
  • aquavitae30
    Options
    I read about C25K on the message boards on Friday and think it will be a good tool to motivate me running. I've always hated running even when I was skinnier and in better shape. I am going to start it either Monday or Tuesday. I hope I can do it!
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    BrunetteWife, thanks for your reply. I've been sleeping in until almost 9 for the last 4 days while on vacation, I don't know how I'm going to drag myself out of bed before 6:30am tomorrow! I guess the motivation is that the workout will be done, and I won't have to try to fit it in later in the day.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome all the new folks! I finished week 4 yesterday! It was pretty hard, the last jog I just wanted to walk, so I don't know if I should repeat week 4 or just move on?
    I usually run in the evenings, outside, usually it is still hot out, though. I cannot get up early and run. First thing in the morning, I think I am too dehydrated, I prefer to run in the evening, before dinner, but after a day of drinking water and eating breakfast and lunch. I read that running on an empty stomach burns more fat, though...
  • cynditoney
    cynditoney Posts: 90
    Options
    I am starting the C25K program tomorrow night. I made my own tape- Yes, tape, I am old and do not have and ipod or mp3 player yet. I also got to put my own motivational messages in the tape.
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    I am starting the C25K program tomorrow night. I made my own tape- Yes, tape, I am old and do not have and ipod or mp3 player yet. I also got to put my own motivational messages in the tape.

That's great!!:smile: I still have a pack of blank tapes not even opened yet, I never thought to use them like that!! However, I don't have anything portable to use them in ...:grumble:

Great job on making the decision to start the plan and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I finished week 6 this morning with a 25 minute run and covered 3.13 miles with the 5 minute warm up and cool down walks factored in.

No more intervals for me! Week 7 is 3 X 25 minute runs. Weeks 8 and 9 just stretch the times to 28 then 30 minutes respectively. I've come a long way since I thought the 5 minute run was going to be the death of me. I even repeated week 4 before moving on to week 5 to be sure I was ready.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone

I was introduced to C25K yesterday by a friend on MFP and I am quite scared but also excited, I walk loads and cycle quite a lot but am NOT a runner, tho i think my dogs would love me to be so I am gonna give it a go, have downloaded the podcasts and the ipod app (i love 'em!) and now all i got to do is start...... am thinking wednesday,it is my day off so yep wednesday day 1 week 1.

Any advice on joint care very welcome, I aint as young as i used to be and i am a little worried about ankles knees and hips so preventative tips please!

Also, I am apprehensive about looking a COMPLETE idiot blobbing around my village, ipod touch in hand...... what say you?
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Week 1, Day 2 complete! I did it - I got up early. Now I've showered, but still sweating, so I'm having a hard time getting dressed and putting makeup on! Of course I had to pick the most humid day to do so this... ;-)
  • BrunetteWife
    Options
    So many new faces!! I think I may start a new thread soon!!! Welcome all and congrats on choosing this plan :)

I start week6 today, and it's one of the last 'easier' weeks, then it's all 25min+ afterwards. I'm a little nervous, but I did NOT start this just to not complete it!! I hope you all had a safe and happy (and healthy) 4th of July!! Good luck on your weeks C25k, on any week you are on. I'm headed out, take care and see you all 'around the block' Bru
  • Autumn256
    Autumn256 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I am new here as well! Excited to find C25K here. I am trying to lose 30 pounds, have lost 3.5 so far. This is my week 6 of C25K. I did Day 1 yesterday, and it was easy, wow! My BF accompanied me on the trail, so it was fun. The end of the week is daunting, 25 minute run. But I think day 1 and day 2 are mentally preparing us for that challenge!
    Looking forward to meeting new friends here, and joining in on the journey!