WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2013

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all my dear friends. It’s a lovely day here and I’m inside working…bleh. I hope to feel better later and get out for at least a small walk…I’m more medicated today lol. Dinner last night was fun….we went back to that Indian place then out for frozen yogurt afterwards.

Lucy: so glad you found that pedometer!

Bberl: yes it is easier to want to be active when the weather is nicer!

LoriCShields: welcome to our group!

Bjmcq: thinking of you today

Glenda: spring will come eventually! Hang in there

Joyce: can’t wait to hear about your doctor’s response when she sees you! That will make you feel grand! I have 15# mini goals but it is frustrating when it’s slow.

Grandmallie: hooray for smaller yoga pants!

Jmkmomm: good for you to get outside and get some fresh air with your exercise!

Sharon: that is frustrating for me too…eating something and not really enjoying it. I figure if I’m taking a nose dive off the
    wagon it should be for something spectacular!

Sheri: welcome to our group! I think you have some great goals!

Nova: welcome and good goals too, especially the one about taking your blood sugar!

Lila: stay out of the hail!

Brooke: just reading about your wallet made me smile!

Renny: sounds like your 10K was quite a success!

Jane: hope you are having a great weekend!

Gail: thanks for the info! I’ll check them out online. Your frozen yogurt sounds yummy!

Mary: singing hooray for you too!

Lin: what a great nsv to get those pants on!

Brooke: glad you answered the jeggings question! I have never been brave enough to even try them on!

Katla: what exactly is an elephant ear? I know there are plants called that I but don’t think you eat them.

Jb: what great looking popsickles! I’ll have to try them!

Michele: you are so right that over eating doesn’t solve anything! I wonder what is going on with Bryan. Do you think Dianna is
    trying to force him away from the family? Sending good thoughts and prayers to you!

Carol: I think I neon sign lights up outside the house when it is a mess saying “We want company!”

Rosa: good to see you again. Come back often!

Jodi: welcome!

Gonzamm: congrats on the weight loss!

Viv: the bad thing about painting….next you’ll want new furniture and drapes!

Jo: woo hoo heels and all! Glad I was wrong about the weather. A walk to the beach sounds beautiful!

Cityjane: I too am amazed at how much people eat. Not to sound judgmental, but even when I wasn’t watching my eating habits I noticed. Actually it was the first thing I noticed that I thought would help me lose weight. I think it’s because most people really don’t know what a serving size is. You go to restaurants and the servings are HUGE. So if you go somewhere and get smaller, people complain they aren’t getting enough! I have (finally) learned to take a serving measured out, and if I want more, ok, but at least I know what a serving is. I’m trying to teach my DH that.

DeeDee: glad your visit was so much fun!

Well ladies I know I am missing out on responding to everyone, but I need to go medicate some more and maybe lie down again. A POX on this virus. Now I wish my sinuses would fall out when my uterus does (Hey I can hope, can’t i?). Take care everyone. Meg in pretty nice Omaha
  • twotonnetarice
    twotonnetarice Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Jo – I started on Level 1 and 2 a few weeks ago and honestly don't even know how long I did those. I just started on Level 3 a few days ago and may just do that for 30 days.

MA – congratulations on getting below the 200 mark.

Gonzamm – I really like your goal of having your husband carry you over the threshold.

Lucy – glad you found your pedometer. I am trying to find mine – haven't used it for some time.

Cooky – good luck with the painting. I decided to paint my bathroom, but first had to remove wallpaper. Of course, it wasn't sized and the walls aren't suitable for painting and need serious prepping. I did clean the slate and put enhancer on it, so at least that looks good. Maybe next week I will be able to paint.

Viv – I am not from the UK, but did do a boat on the Norfolk Broads. I don't remember it being that deep. We went on a day excursion rather than hiring a boat ourselves. My grandmother lived in Norwich, so I have a connection to that area and wanted to check it out. The boat ride was quite enjoyable.

Blister Lamb – you will catch up with your 30 miles. I envy you as I haven't even gotten my bicycle tuned-up yet. That is supposed to happen today – need to find my clipless pedals, but can just use toe-clips if I can't find them. It's just starting to warm up here and I am so anxious to get in the saddle. I like your ticker, too.

Liz – I agree about nicely asking others to at least clean up their messes.

Struggling with drinking water – better force some down. Even when I walk, ride my back or exercise, I usually don't feel thirsty and neglect to hydrate myself.

Have a good Sunday, everybody.

Tari - Ohio
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello my dear ladies! it is a cool, cloudy day here today - the temp has dropped to zero from 22C on Tuesday!:noway: so it might be a good day to tackle some baking. There are a few people in need of some loving in the form of prepared meals/baking.

Renny 10k in 1.5 hours is impressive! Good work. And thanks for the clarification on 'bump' - you are right, once I have posted, that stream will continue to pop up in My Topics. So I am using up posts out of the 500 on this busy thread:smile: I guess it might show up on my home page as last post and make it easier to carry on from a particular spot?

Katla - I agree on the strategy of setting behaviour goals - calories, activity, logging, healthy food choices. They are all things that I CAN control - as opposed to those #@%# numbers on the scale!:laugh: I am also a big believer in making them measurable - 'I will exercise three times a week for 30 minutes', instead of 'I will exercise more' It is easier to measure success when the bar has been set!

gardengail - I remember standing in long lines at the grocery store and to pass the time, we would make up stories or subtitles to go with some of the ridiculous headlines in the tabloids (expecially world weekly news, national enquirer and such) It was quite entertaining and I think the cashier may have thought we were a little bonkers - having an entirely too good of a time for a grocery line!:laugh:

Michelle- I am so sorry about the awkward relationship with your son and fiance - in what should be a time of rejoicing! My only advice is to not do anything that slams the door for future relationship, or anything that you might later wish you had not. It is hard to take the high road, and sometimes the RIGHT thing is not the easy thing. I am not suggesting you cave to all of the requests or be taken advantage of - you do have to set your own healthy boundaries. I just try to live with no regrets.

Viv - I am so terrible at choosing paint colours. I am going to have to do that this week and will enlist the help of my daughteer who has a much better eye for such things. I once painted a room for a 16 year old boy who was moving in with us - only to discover when it was finished, that it was kindergarten blue.:explode: Not at all what I was hoping for!! Had to regroup and repaint!:grumble: good luck with your project - I am sure you are much better at it than I am!:tongue:

Deedee - I love the mug "Queen of everything" :laugh: you keep bringing it along and reminding those boys of who they are dealing with! Sounds like you had a great visit with the grands - does it not amaze you that we used to have kids 24/7 and now a day exhausts me. But SO fun. The hula hoop image gave me a chuckle - good on you for making the attempt!

Liz - I so hear you on the division of household chores! Once in desperation, I quietly kept a written list of what everyone had contributed to the work load for a couple of weeks. Then, after dinner one evening, I pulled it out and said something to the effect that "I just thought you should be aware of who is doing what around here - and that I too work full time. It is not looking fair to me" (Each person had one or two items and my list was a couple of pages long) And then I left the table to let them all contemplate the situation:ohwell: I am not sure it helped a whole lot....but I felt better for a bit! I think Lila's advice is sound.....Ask for what you want. I like to think they see it, but they don't!

Marcy - what part of Canada are you in?

okay, off to get some baking done, and maybe some reading and a cuppa - oh, that would be delightful!

glenda, waiting for sunshine in southern Alberta
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This is such a great idea....My goals for April 2013 are......Donate the things that no longer bring joy into my life to other who might enjoy them....Enjoy time with my family through fun outings and activities while engaging in both deep meaningful and light hearted humorous conversations with them......Enjoy a flavorful soup for lunch at least 3 times per week to help balance my inceased calorie load for the various holidays/birthdays/treats/rich dinners that will be ocurring this month.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, thought I'd pop in and say "Hi!". I've been reading your thread a bit and enjoying it since I started at MFP at 147.5 lbs. (Jan. 11).......don't know how you keep everyone straight. I made posting a note here a goal and today's the day!!! I reached 131.5 lbs.this am and that means I'm less now than I have been in 8 yrs., hence the "shout out".

I'm 61y.o., 5'3", and goal is 120, (would love to say 110, but let's be real!!!)........no specific time range in mind, just little goals, like this one, along the way. I'm on the mid-Atlantic coast, married 31 yrs. and have a daughter in college......yes, I was a "late bloomer" all around. I volunteer for three vastly different organizations and that keeps me out of trouble. I go to the gym to 3 exercise sessions and 1 yoga class a week. Love reading........and that about sums me up.........
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies :flowerforyou: have been mia for a few weeks...but always thinking of you and am so happy that you are all still here!

I only have one main goal for April...20 minutes of exercise every day...March averaged 3 times a week...but I feel soo much better when I have done something that I am reducing my time commitment but increasing my frequency...all about sustainable lifetime habits...we will see how this works.

The carbs then protein then balance of both try of a couple of weeks ago was interesting.....no real changes other than re-focus of portions and mindfulness...not a bad result but a little too much work for me.

Off to do my 20 minutes...just the treadmill (uphill) while watching netflix on my kindle

Have a wonderful day, my friends, and thanks for letting me pop back in! Hugs and high fives!
    :heart:
    Jen from sunny, then rainy, then sunny New York!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Renny ..... And thanks for the clarification on 'bump' - you are right, once I have posted, that stream will continue to pop up in My Topics. So I am using up posts out of the 500 on this busy thread:smile: I guess it might show up on my home page as last post and make it easier to carry on from a particular spot?

glenda, waiting for sunshine in southern Alberta

All I have been able to gather is that what shows up on your home page or profile page, and you click on that, it does NOT get you to your last spot, it just carries you to the first post of the thread, in this case it would be Barbie's opening post. Then you still have to navigate to the page where you last were.

Hope this helps.

Renny - who just had a pretty good fruit smoothie!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,795 Member
    Options
    alright ,now can this be possible?maybe from sodium i got on my scale early am and I was 178 lbs, I got on a little while ago and I was 184.5 ,really? well that sucks big time, I always weight myself in the morning.. but I did this for ha ha's.
    Im depressed now, but I will not give up
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    alright ,now can this be possible?maybe from sodium i got on my scale early am and I was 178 lbs, I got on a little while ago and I was 184.5 ,really? well that sucks big time, I always weight myself in the morning.. but I did this for ha ha's.
    Im depressed now, but I will not give up

Not very funny, was it? Don't worry about it, though. It is a natural part of the daily flow. I've been there and confine my scale standing to the same time of morning.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla,
    So interesting on the boating. Thanks ya. I am a mom of a 31 year old son, he's starting an internship with Foreign Servies when he gets back form a short program in the Philipines. I want to read the Arthur Ransome now, just for me! Sounds wonderful. Congrats on the 10K! I think that was you, hard to remember back a few pages, sorry. Anyway you lead a very active lifestyle, I really benefit from reading such things.

I love my life!
    Have a great evening and wonderufl week you all.

Marcia, Northern Va

The10 K wasn't me. I have bad knees. I do try to lead an active life, though. :wink:
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump - come back point
    Katla,
    Sorry I got mixed up on the names; Renny congratulations on the 10k....I hope to be there someday again, not now, recovery from a knee surgery. Walking for now.
    Marcia
    :wink:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday

I got back last night from a trip to Milwaukee to see my parents. The trip was a good idea. My mom was in the hospital the whole time I was there. She is doing okay considering all that she is dealing with. It's hard to tell how much longer her heart can deal with all the stress...so I'm glad I went now. My dad is doing pretty well. They will each be 89 in a month or two.

I got to see all 4 of my sisters as well. Only my brother didn't come (from Minnesota). We went to the hospital a couple of times a day. Mom was on the fifth floor so the last two days I walked up. It helped keep the weight down from all the eating we were doing!

One NSV for me was that I was slimmer than all of my sisters. I have never in my life been the thinnest...Ever. A couple of them asked about this web site. Maybe they will join soon too.

I read all your posts...praying for some and rejoicing with others!

Eileen near San Diego
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting me to put down goals.
    * Keep the good things that happen in a day and forgive the not so good!
    * Make more time for family and friends
    * Work on getting to sleep by 10:00
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Welcome everyone new

My ankles were swollen, and I know its from a combination of the salt in that chicken at Golden Corral (the one I couldn't eat) and the salt in the ham we had yesterday. Jessica wanted a ham so we had ham

I do have to say that I like this guy she's with. One of the things that I like about him is that I see how he inspires her to better herself. He's going to school and she's talking about the GRE. He's also very polite. It seems that he has a stepbrother who lives in MA. This brother is -- excuse me lacking the correct word here -- slow, he's very trusting, maybe too trusting. Kris was saying how he's the executor of his parent's will, they try to steer the brother in a positive way, not in a way that he can be taken advantage of

I only got 30 minutes of the bellydance DVD that I have in. See, something happened to my DVD player, Vince cleaned it and now it's fine. But as I was doing the DVD, it suddenly stopped so I took it out thinking that I'd clean it. When I put it back in, it wouldn't play at all! Another DVD wouldn't play. I don't remember enough about the bellydance DVD to do it all on my own. Well, it's fixed for my yoga DVD tomorrow morning then I'll take the extremepump class.

Viv - I like your color scheme. I tend to like bright, open colors, too.

Jo - I don't think topless on beaches in Spain is for me....lol Thanks for the info. Glad you had a good time at the amateur show. Isn't it amazing how much talent there is that is local?

cityjaneLondon - one of the things that most impressed me when we were in Europe was that the portion sizes for meals eaten out were a decent size. Vince says that whenever he had someone come over from Europe, they were always amazed at how large the portions are in our restaurants. I really feel that restaurants should offer you the choice of a full sized plate or half the amount (at half the price)

Well, Jessica and Kris just left. Now I'll need to clean her room, make the bed, wash the towels, etc.

Well, I'm definitely trying being good, been on a bit of a binge these last two days. Made this apple upside down cake and cream cheese brownies for tuesday. I was tempted to use some of the cream cheese on the low fat muffins, but I resisted. I'm proud of myself.

Sandy - what we're thinking right now is that we'll tell Bryan that we'll help him to the tune of 1,000 Euros (approx. $1,500). We'll have to see how much the airfare and other costs are, it may be more. We're going to leave the door open. You would think that if someone wanted something from you (like money), they'd do everything in their power to (basically) suck up to you. He was supposed to call this weekend -- no call so far. I just tried calling him, got an answering machine.

M - glad you're feeling better. You know something, I actually knew more about the customs in Spain than Vince did! He did some research and asked me if I knew what color their gown was. I told him "yes, black traditionally, but a lot of modern brides are going with the white".

Liz from Idaho - I used to tell my kids that "even tho mommy and maid start with 'M', I'm not a maid"

grandmalle - I tried the Artic Zero ice cream when we were in FL. It IS good. Honestly, not real creamy, but that's because it's for lactose intolerant people. But it did have good flavor. Around here I can only get it at the health food store, so I'm waiting for the weather to get warmer and then I intend to get the mint chocolate chip flavor. The Publix in FL only had the chocolate, chocolate peanut butter (which I knew I wouldn't like) and this maple vanilla. The chocolate and even the maple vanilla were quite good.

Renny - here's a question for you, I joined this group, only posted the one time, so I left the group. Yet, now that was months ago when I left, the thread always is in the top two of my threads. I really have no desire for it. Is there any way I can get rid of that?

Liz - when Bryan was younger I said to him "I'm sick of looking at your messy room" His solution? He closed the door!!!

jb - absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE that quote

jodios - I am trying so hard, maybe too hard??? We called Bryan just now. thank GOD we didn't call him while Kris was here. It would not have been fair to Kris to have been pulled into this "drama". Vince asked Bryan "if Jess and Denise can talk to Dianna, why can't we". All Bryan said was "that's not gonna happen, there's more to it" When we asked "what more" he said that he had to think thru it. Vince said that we at least deserve to know about what's going on, but Bryan hung up on us. I love my son so much! God forbid anything happens to him, I'm quite sure Dianna won't let us know, heck she hasn't even been allowed to talk to us! He said that he was making dinner so I asked him what he made. He said a stew from Reunion. When I asked more about the stew, he said "Reunion, the island". I know Reunion. He was there! Evidentally he used some sort of soy hotdog. But I truly just wanted to know about it. I asked him about the wine jelly that I sent for Christmas. He said that they gave it to a friend of theirs. Did they keep anything at all that I sent them???? Well, he did say that they had the pumpkin jelly that I sent. Why is he being so selish??? I am chalking a lot of his behavior up to his immaturity. Wonder why he's suddenly being so selfish and immature, he never was that way! When asking about his dinner, I felt like I was pulling teeth just to get him to talk about it.

All this talk about popsicles reminds me of what I used to make for the kids when they were smaller. I'd take a 32oz contain of low fat unflavored yogurt, a 12oz can of orange juice concentrate, thaw it but don't reconstitute it. Mix the two together and pour it into a pop mold. High in calcium, vit.C, low in calories.

Meg - I don't know enough about Dianna to know if she's trying to force Bryan away from us or does he feel that he's now 27 and so we should stop worrying about him (like that's gonna happen). Last time we spoke to him he did mention about the fact that he felt that we should stop worrying about him. Vince told him how when his (Vince's) parents moved to FL, his father would send us clippings of job opportunities down there. We know what the implied "hint" was -- that we should move to FL. But at least we did go to see them at least once/year and spoke to them on the phone. Should be interesting to see if we even get an invitation to the wedding. We understand that he asked Denise and Jess for their addresses. He probably knows ours, but still...... Denise had to ask Dianna the date of the wedding, Bryan didn't even bother to tell us.

Tari - (thank goodness you used your name, what a name you had! two ton......) When I'm struggling drinking water, I find that if I have one of the chocolate bran muffins, I can usually have about 24oz with it. another thing that makes me want to drink is air popped popcorn.

yanniejannie - wonderful weight loss!

Jen - welcome back!

Renny - I've always had it where the topic of the post is on the list and when you click on it, it just brings you to the first page. I wish the pages were in backwards numberical order with the last post being the first one you see. But, alas, it isn't.

grandmalle - I've had it where the scale for one reason or another registers a completely different weight inside of a minute. I suspect some of it has to do with where on the scale you stand when being weighed. I ALWAYS weigh more in the evening than in the morning. Normal daily fluctuations.

Eileen - that was so nice of you to go see your mother! Bet it sure made you feel good being thinnner than your sisters! Great NSV

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • 50ishFoodie
    50ishFoodie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

Oh my gosh! Page 17 already! I’m so sorry that I won’t be able to read it all. I wrote a big list of responses last month and went to upload, but the board was full. Hopefully that won’t happen this time. I apologize for not responding earlier.

What a crazy month. I’ve worked 10-12 hours most days, and averaging 6 days a week. But, went on a whirlwind trip to Disney World in the middle of the chaos. Had a blast. Road as many roller coasters as my body would allow. Walked miles and miles and ate too much. Tried to make healthy choices and keep portions small; succeeded on some days. Others, not. While there, I got to catch up with a friend from high school that I hadn’t seen for 30 years. It was a lovely reunion. Took a day and went to the Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach. Really cool. Felt like a kid on most days and just allowed myself to play. Wore a tiara for dinner at Cinderella’s castle. Went to see Cirque du Soleil. And the best part is that my mother-in-law paid for every bit of it. Not having to worry about expenses is part of what allowed us to have so much fun.

Had a steroid injection for the bursitis on my hip on the Thursday before we left so didn’t have any problems with that. But, have developed these horrible muscle cramps in my feet, legs, hands and arms. Sometimes it’s excruciating and lasts for over an hour. Doc being unresponsive to calls. Believe it’s an electrolyte issue due to my diuretics. Drinking coconut water and pickle juice (not together) to try and keep them at bay.

On return, it was back to 60-hour weeks. Worked 13 days straight for the product launch and to get caught up. Launch was last week. Uploaded all of our content into the app and thought we were doing well – until the final hours when it started randomly rejecting or hiding the content. Back into production for the developers, while we wait. But at least I can get work done on the video project which is in full swing again. Have 18 scripts and storyboards to finalize and send through med review in one week so pre-pro can begin. YIKES!

Then to top it all off, mom was hospitalized last weekend with MRSA-caused pneumonia. It was touch-and-go this week. Fortunately she is on the mend and will be released to rehab this week. I may be going home to SD to get her settled back at home next week when she is released. Good thing I can work on the road!

I went back as far as page 13 to get caught up. Sorry that I won’t get to everyone.

MA – congratulations on your weight loss. That is great news.

Dee Dee – Suffer for fashion??? Never! I will be the “sensible shoe” lady forever. I love the story about the hula hoop! You have so much fun with those kids.

Seems a lot of ladies are buying new bras. I bought two before my vacation. LOVE a new bra. Gotta keep the girls up where they belong! I usually buy at Dillards or Nordstrom. Haven’t had much luck with Victoria’s Secret…

Gonzamm – you have some great goals! Hope someone takes a pic of your husband carrying you! Great job on the loss this week.

Wessecg – what a scary thing! To be awakened like that I would have beaten the crap out of him. Glad that it was something innocent and all are OK.

Jodios! – less than 120??!! What great news! Congratulations. I love your lesson about forgiveness. Thanks for sharing that wonderful reminder.

CityJane – if cheese is your downfall, maybe you should avoid buying it for a while? Just a thought…. I make a lot of soup and keep a lot in the freezer for lunches and last-minute dinners. I am a big believer in exercise. Glad that it’s working for you. Interesting observation about the portion sizes. I was horrified on my recent trip to Disney World by how much food they serve you – and most of it is salt, fat, and sugar. It’s everywhere. Society encourages excessive behavior in so many things…

Lucy – YAY! Score one! The pedometer reutrns.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

Amanda – you look amazing.

Joyce – I so want to hear about your doctor’s reaction. I bet she will be so pleased!

Grandmaille I love meatball sandwiches. I make my meatballs with ground chicken. Get wheat hoagies and cut the roll in half, and only use 2 meatballs, one slice of provolone and sprinkle of Parmesan for flavor. It should be in your range. Good choice on the squash, tho!

Sharon – Isn’t it crazy how the binges are not satisfactory? I like the first few bites, but everything after that - for me – is like an act of desperation.

Renny – great job on the 10-K. Your veggie challenge has really changed the way I shop. Most trips to the store are now for freshies. Even bought kale this time. Just for you!

Mary – congrats on the home improvement project. I love my new home office. And, great work on sticking to the veggie tray! Parties can be such a trap!

Lin – My rule on fashion is this: if you’re not sure, don’t buy it. These days most pants are made to resemble droopy pants. Great that your too small pants are now too big. Isn’t that what we are all hoping for?

Katla – I so love that idea of “behavior goals” vs outcome goals. I hate the scale.

JB – I will be making these popsicles!

Michele – what a painful struggle this must be for you. Sometimes, there is nothing we can do that will change the situation. The only option is to adjust how we will deal with it. Belly dancing sounds like fun!

Jodi from OR – Sounds like your stressing about what you “need” to do. Relax. Take it one task, one step at a time. It will come.

Wizzywig – That’s a great goal. I’m right there with you! Perhaps a lovely taupe to go with your burgundy carpet?

Jo – I would love o see a pic of you cleaning in heels! LOL!

Brooke – congrats on the 3.4 pounds! That’s great.

Liz – It’s good to have a safe place to rant. But I’ve learned from the DH – I can’t just expect him to make those things a priority like I do. So, now, I ask. I make lists, and I give exact instructions. Things are much better now. Maybe you should make a few lists?

Kathy – great news on the loss. Always great to get a compliment from a stranger!

My goals for April –
    1. Don’t let work take over my life
    2. Get at least 4 workouts in each week
    3. Up the stakes on the veggie-count.

Have a great week, everyone! I’ll check in more often. I promise!
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

I so love this thread. I think Barbie does a great job keeping it going love the dose of F.

@ Lila I agree that I have created this environment we always had the quote traditional marriage arrangement of he work outside of the home I stayed home and that was my role it was a matter of pride to have everything done be at the PTA meetings etc. So when I went back to work I kept doing everything. Now most of my life I always just take care of things and never speak up if something bothers me. But I did react maybe it wasn't with words but I was stuffing with food. That isn't healthy. And so now I am speaking up its so freeing.

I thought I was off work tomorrow but my supervisor called a coworker needs the day off a family emergency. So I am on till only 1 half day. But busy getting things ready for tomorrow.

Goals this week

Make the Y 3 days for the river class
    Walking the track the rests of the days

Logging all of my food at the start of the day and following that plan. Logging all that I eat.
    Drinking my 8 glasses of water.
    Taking time out for my quiet time each morning.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Monday,

Liz from Idaho
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am happy to be home but missing my pets who can't be picked up from boarding until tomorrow morning. Jake and I had a great time and now I'm home and he is headed to Northern California to visit his kids and grandkids and some friends. Yesterday was the most challenging day I've had trying to meet my step goal. I woke up early and had plenty of time to take a walk before we had to leave for the all day meeting. First I noticed that it was raining and then that our friends had armed their home security system so if I tried to leave I'd set off the alarm. I looked for every opportunity during the day to walk during breaks, lunchtime, and lulls in the meeting. Then the man who gave me a ride home opted to take the route that included a ferry ride so I got to walk on the ferry and we got home early enough for me to walk enough before dark to meet my step goal.

:bigsmile: The new roof looks wonderful and the yard, sidewalks, and back deck are cleaner than when they started the roof.

:bigsmile: Jake's cardiologist gave him a great report but noticed that he'd gained a few pounds and gave him a few suggestions about how to do it (give up cheese and be more active). He is healing well from the surgery and the defibrillator/pacemaker is working perfectly.

:flowerforyou: Friday night we went to dinner with two other couples who assured me that there would be food on the menu that I could eat.......LOL....it was a pasta and pizza place and short of having a salad without dressing, there was nothing that fit my list of what I eat......Jake wanted to split a pizza with me so since I knew I'd either go hungry or eat something way off my list, I decided to please him and share a pizza......we designed our own with about ten veggies and it was fabulous.

:flowerforyou: I didn't make time to work in the yard today, but I walked about 30,000 steps (about half of that in the rain this morning), unpacked my suitcase, did my weight training, got two months of expenses entered into Quick Books, read many pages of posts on this thread, and sadly watched the Canadian men be defeated in the World Championship curling match while I was riding the recumbent bike part of the time.

:bigsmile: jodios, forgiveness is one of my favorite spiritual practices....it is so freeing.....thank you for bringing it up...it fits a lot with the my happiness commandment "act the way I want to feel"

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington where is was raining very hard all night and all morning
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • cooky56ny
    cooky56ny Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good evening Friends
    Quick note only, but I am thinking of everyone!

Jo- Thank you for the explanation, silly me thinking it was a type of new fangled apple :embarassed:

Meg_ Thanks for the chuckle about the neon sign. I bet that was the reason! LOL!:laugh:

Tari – It seems that is the way it always goes, simple projects turn into huge ordeals, but hey I Love a good challenge! Good luck with you project. :smile:

Update on painting project : 85 % completed…not too shabby I guess
    Goodnight all
    Carol in WNY aka Cooky
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I’m not quite 50 (47), but I feel closer to 74 these days. I am in desperate need of support and accountability. I’m glad I found this thread. I have only read the first three pages. I will read the remainder after posting.

A little history (probably more than you care to know…). In 2006, I was morbidly obese with a BMI of 53. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar (pre-diabetic), severe sleep apnea, and was losing mobility. My doctor encouraged me to have bariatric surgery. By-pass surgery scared me, so I chose the Lap-Band. I had surgery in 2007. I lost 100 pounds the first year and ALL my comorbidities were resolved. I lost another 40 pounds over the next three years and was continuing to lose. I was running and training for a 5K. I was in the best shape I had been in in years.

Late in 2011, the Lap-Band eroded, causing a perforation of my stomach, leading to a huge abdominal abscess, and the band had to be removed. I became very ill, the infection went systemic, and my kidneys shut down. I feel I have not recovered from that surgery/illness. Lying in a hospital bed for eight days did a number on my back, which has never recovered. I am in constant pain. The only thing that does not hurt, is sitting in a chair with my feet up. Laying down, standing, or walking are painful, and becoming more painful each passing week. I went from walking/running five miles a day, to barely able to walk more than 10 minutes in just over a year. Due to my complete lack of mobility, I have gained 50 pounds.

If I don’t do something, I am afraid I will gain all that weight back and become wheelchair bound. I began logging my food in December and joined MFP about 6 weeks ago. I have started slowly losing weight. MFP has helped with the food accountability, now I need help with activity.

My goals for April:
    Maintain what I have established so far – log food, 8+ glasses of water, at least 1-cup green tea daily
    Walk on the treadmill – working up to 30 minute sessions by the end of the month
    Stretching/strength training at least three times a week
    Begin Physical Therapy as prescribed