Skinny gossip

Options

Replies

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    YIKES. The pics in this article say it all... look at those sunken in cheekbones! http://www.skinnygossip.com/flashback-friday-abbey-lee-kershaw/
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Some of the things other people saw on the site sound crazy, but I just popped over and saw a thread about working out and the girl was posting her workout diary - seemed like a healthy exercise plan, nothing extreme. There was another thread on how to be taller (I kind of chuckled at that), so it makes me think it's a site for models. It's sad, but seems to be true, that models really do have to have a certain look to be hired by some of the big agencies and companies (like VS) or, like someone else said, they'd lose their job.
    I'm sure there are plenty of unhealthy things on there, as others mentioned, but I just wanted to throw it out there that not ALL of the articles/forum posts there are crazy, unhealthy or pro-ED.

Actually on the blog they were complaining because they think VS hires fattie models. VS models are actually not too thin and are a very healthy weight. They are not like the high fashion models because they model lingerie. That was what disturbed me about the skinny gossip web site. On mfp people incorrectly call the VS models too thin, and on that site they say the VS models are fatties and shouldn't model after they have babies (a lot of the VS models model well into their late thirties and even within months after giving birth). A lot of the girls on that site are very young and hopefully will grow up and grow out of this at some point.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    They actually have a topic forum about when they lost there periods to they remember if it would fade away or just stop immediately, not at all about concern of having lost their period and talking about not having their period as if that was the normal.

Also they show their height, highest weight, current weight and goal weight and most of the girls are about 5'7" with a highest weight about 125lbs, a current weight of 90lbs and a goal weight of 89 pounds. ridiculous.....
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    interesting - bump to read later
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't like the vibe I get from that site at all...5'7" 80 pounds?? Yikes!!

Ew seriously! I just gave my mom a bunch of crap because she is 5'7" and weighs 124 lb. I'm just trying to help her avoid people mistaking her as Skeletor from the He-man cartoons.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    "Pro-fat fatty"- can't help but love it :laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Umm...yes, being fat IS a conscious lifestyle choice. Did you never have health class growing up? I remember having to take it every year and in each one they taught us what was right and wrong, what was healthy and not. The fact of the matter is you ARE blaming society and removing personal responsibility. Is it easier to be fat than skinny? HELL YES. But nothing worth having is easy.

Oh wait, scratch what I said above. We have a winner!

lol, I like you!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

:laugh:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

Have to admit I chuckled too! :laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    totally a Pro-Ana site. "thinspo" is one of their tags...
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Umm...yes, being fat IS a conscious lifestyle choice. Did you never have health class growing up? I remember having to take it every year and in each one they taught us what was right and wrong, what was healthy and not. The fact of the matter is you ARE blaming society and removing personal responsibility. Is it easier to be fat than skinny? HELL YES. But nothing worth having is easy.

Oh wait, scratch what I said above. We have a winner!

lol, I like you!

Seriously though. Some people make me wonder if there really is a "crazy hole" that people crawl out of...
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Also, maybe I've only come across nicer people on MFP, but I've not once seen someone outright attack a user or cry ED for someone having an "underweight" goal. I've seen people say that it wasn't healthy, or basically state their opinion like it is their right to do on a public forum, but I have never seen anyone be outright mean or insulting to thinner people. Perhaps I've not come across them.

Sometimes there are some nutty people on here that freak out and tell people that they are going to die because they think their weight is too low (even though the person is not trying to lose weight and is asking about increasing calories). Stuff like that can happen, However, I think that it is few and far between and even when the nutballs come out and say that stuff and support one another, the vast majority of the rest of the mfp community steps in to call them out on their BS nonsense and to offer support and helpful advice to the OP. And I don't think they are doing it to be malicious, they are just being ignorant.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The trend in the US and many other western cultures is to be overfed. Being overweight is just as much a symptom of disordered eating as being underweight. Fat pride is seems to be more dangerous than Vlada's thigh gap when you really consider it...

What is on that blog (differentiating between the blog and the forums, which I did not read) is hate, pure and simple. If the subject was not being fat, but being black or being gay, you'd pick that up pretty quick. It is NOT okay.

I've never heard it referred to as "fat pride" but there is a growing movement towards body acceptance. The fact that you think that is dangerous tells me that you have a very narrow and skewed definition of health, especially considering what passes for "fat" on that site.

Tell me, what does glorifying things like thigh gaps and hip bones do to encourage people to love their bodies and therefore keep them healthy? When your only motivation is to look a certain way (specifically, a certain way that the majority of people cannot obtain healthfully) considerations for one's health rarely play a part.

Praising Vlada's thigh gap as a goal to be aspired to is WAY more harmful than loving oneself (including one's fat) ever could be!!

Dimsumkitty made some good points, I'll add some additional enlightenment...

The forums actually have resources for those with disordered eating and fully support recovery. I have seen thread covering the subject of "too thin." It's really about the aesthetic. From what I've read, not one of the girls on there would be cheering their friends into a situation of needing a feeding tube. Or a body bag.

I saw a thread about Kelly Clarkson in which someone praised her for looking happy!

What does bashing a thigh gap do to people who have it naturally by not overfeeding and underexercising? People don't even bat an eyelash at binge eating disorders nowadays, but anorexia still gets more of a spotlight. Fat acceptance is okay, but wanting to be skinny means you're sick.

Most models get into the business when they are very young teenagers. Naturally skinny and naturally a good choice to be a human clothes hanger. Naturally delicate, but still with a fresh glow of youthfulness. As they get older, they either work with what they have (Candace Swanpoel is a great example of a fit an beautiful skinny), bow out of the biz, transition to other artistic avenues, or complain about going plus sized and become famous for it.

I am all about loving yourself. There is nothing worse than hating yourself. But a healthy mind is not made by ignoring the fact that being overweight is usually a symptom of an eating disorder. I was underweight as an adult because I was on a strict diet for dialysis. I was overweight as a result of having a very unhealthy relationship with food because I hated myself and hated my life and ate my feelings. I have yoyo'd up and down 10 pounds for the past few years instead of finishing my weight loss because I was too lazy to really love my body and take care of myself.

Very few overweight people get hospitalized for their eating disorder. They get hospitalized for the negative health effects that stem from their eating disorder, and they never get the help they need for the psychological problems that caused them to eat beyond their means in the first place. Instead they are either told that they're beautiful no matter what, or told to eat less and exercise more. It doesn't fix the problem at its root: Why they over-nourished themselves in the first place.

And when they try to diet and try to lose the weight, they end up binging and they don't understand why they're so weak and why they can't do it. How is that not dangerous?

I guess it's the answer is the same for either. They're both wrong if you're not simultaneously treating the root of the problem.

Besides, no one with a full blown case of anorexia will see themselves as having Vlada's thigh gap, even when their thighs are smaller than Vlada's. And they can get hospitalized and have feeding tubes forced upon them for their eating disorder, along with the prerequisite psychological counseling.

Being mean is never great. The blog is one woman's voice. The forum has many voices, and they aren't all mean.

I apologize for all the typos that firefox isn't picking up. I am listening to awesome music while typing this, and I'm sure I didn't catch all my mistakes, either.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I browsed the forums over there. I felt sickened by some of what was in there. There seemed to be a lot of 16-18 year old girls wanting to be stick thin. There were threads calling a variety of celebrities fat, including one about Victoria Beckham (pretty much most people's standard of super-thin) where some folks criticized her for getting bigger shortly after she had a baby and one calling Emma Watson "thunder thighs". As skewed as anyone's world view is about being overweight (its a health risk and not okay), it is equally as skewed to want to diet until you disappear. I also saw a thread about what size people want to be and the vast majority wanted to be a 0 or 00. There were a couple who wanted to be a US size 8, but both of them commented about how fat they were.

I get that we are too fat in America. We are. There's no denying it. I shudder though to think that my gorgeous daughter might someday feel like she should be so think that her hipbones protrude like knives from her hips. I have no doubt that some of those people criticizing the celebrities would look at my 9 year old and think her too fat (she is not) or would want to look like her (she's awesome for a 9 year old gymnast but not something to aim for if you're 16).

The whole site just made me feel sad.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm "pro-fatty" or not in their eyes, but I'm definitely not pro-douchebagery so I'll just keep away from that site.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    ETA: sorry, but purposely being under 100 pounds is simply not healthy unless you are under 4'10". Thought I'd mention that.

You are actually wrong about that.

Yep. According to the BMI chart, 100lbs is considered a healthy weight for people 5'2'' and under.

Ideal Body Weight for a 4' 11" Woman

How much should a 4' 11" tall Woman weigh? According to the data available to us the ideal weight for a Woman 4 feet 11 inches tall is:

86 - 105 lbs.

Ideal body weight figures can differ a lot from source to source, though. For a Woman 4 feet 11 inches tall, you may find may different ideal body weight figures. The reason for this is ideal body weight is calculated a number of different ways depending on many different variables.

The ideal body weight figures for Woman listed in our height weight charts are based off of statistics. There are also standardized calculations, though, that can provide this data. Those calculations are actually called IBW, ideal body weight, and ABW, adjusted body weight. Adjusted body weight is used only in instances of obesity to adjust the ideal body weight figure.

The IBW and ABW calculations, however, are only accurate for individuals over 4 feet in height.

I am posting this information because I am 4 feet 11 and 1/2 inches and I weigh around 102 lbs ( on a good day), and most of my life I have been under 100.
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To 90% of the posters in this thread:

"BMI – A useless tool that doctors use to convince people they are obese, regardless of how much muscle mass they have." - IIFYM.com

You're welcome.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    To 90% of the posters in this thread:

"BMI – A useless tool that doctors use to convince people they are obese, regardless of how much muscle mass they have." - IIFYM.com

You're welcome.

Most of us understand that aspect of the failing of the BMI model (among other reasons of it being ineffective), but really it is a little bit more complicated than this as applied to many different situations. But, this is not a discussion of BMI, particularly at the high end of the scale. It is more of a discussion of it at the lower end of the scale (partially prompted by the web site in discussion).

As useless as the BMI model is, it is one of the few, easy ways we have of explaining what is within the "range of normal" and not underweight for very short and small framed people (that are also slim and fit).
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I read the OP, then went and checked out the site -- FULL of triggers for people with EDs. I would strongly recommend NOT checking it out if you have a history of restrictive eating disorders and are sensitive to triggers.

The forums especially are very heavy on thinspo and bashing "overweight" celebrities (Selena Gomez, Blake Lively, Anne Hathaway?? Come on!!).
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I read the OP, then went and checked out the site -- FULL of triggers for people with EDs. I would strongly recommend NOT checking it out if you have a history of restrictive eating disorders and are sensitive to triggers.

The forums especially are very heavy on thinspo and bashing "overweight" celebrities (Selena Gomez, Blake Lively, Anne Hathaway?? Come on!!).

Definitely nuts!!