Clean vs. Junk - does it really matter?

Options

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Can't clean be junk? For example, I could make a cake with butter I turned myself, flour I ground myself...totally clean and unprocessed, but it's still unhealthy.

I would say absolutely (though I wouldn't go to that much trouble) but then others would say it couldn't be clean because you had to use sugar.

Sugarcane I crushed myself and cooked the juice off?
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I also get a bit of a kick of clean eaters heavily promoting micronutrients. Most "junk" food is fortified with vitamins, a solid multi vitamin is hardly expensive. Micronutrient deficiency is not common at all.

Are you sure? What's your source? Here's mine.

"Despite consuming almost twice as many calories (macronutrients) as we need, fewer than 18% of adults and 2% of children consume the minimum daily requirements of micronutrients recommended."

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/healthy-food-food-scoring-guide-unnatural-foods.html
  • JustCallMeJaz
    JustCallMeJaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    To make this simple... consider 2 people who weigh the same, but bodies look completely different. eating junk will essentially give you a smaller version of you, not necessarily cut/ripped/fit/healthy. Eating properly will enhance all the work put into weight loss and excercise. I know because i did this. I ate whatever I wanted and still worked out, and i lose weight!! But i was just a smaller version of the belly heavy girl. It wasnt until I started eating properly that i began to acutally see a shape forming, muscle definition and actually feel a "healthier"... with that being said. I do allow myself unhealthy meals, but very rarely. i find that eating my favorite foods when I dont have a craving, reduces the amount of consumption of said food and my desire to want it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Can't clean be junk? For example, I could make a cake with butter I turned myself, flour I ground myself...totally clean and unprocessed, but it's still unhealthy.

I would say absolutely (though I wouldn't go to that much trouble) but then others would say it couldn't be clean because you had to use sugar.

Sugarcane I crushed myself and cooked the juice off?

Ah... but it's still sucrose.

But when you make this divine confection, I will gladly fall on the sword and alleviate you of it's evil dirty-ness!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I dont know anyone that can adapt to eating super small amounts of food even on heavy appetite suppressants. I am talking about the stuff that is illegal

Hmmm...I know illegal stuff that will prevent hunger for days on end. Not healthy, but it does supress the appetite. :smokin:

Just here to say that I thought the topic was "Clean junk- does it matter?"

^^ Clean junk is crucial, imho, especially if you are ever using illegal appetite supressants. :wink:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Oh good... another post where a bunch of body builders/ huge men/ women who don't have much to lose try to convince us all that eating whatever is okay and laugh at the attempt to eat healthy/clean.

Good idea, don't listen to the virtual dieting pros that have been there done that, most of whom lost a lot of weight at some point in the rearview mirror, who have experience with a level of diet difficulty well beyond simply "losing weight".

Remember, the drunk at the bar knows best how to quit drinking, the people at AA are cluless on the matter.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Oh good... another post where a bunch of body builders/ huge men/ women who don't have much to lose try to convince us all that eating whatever is okay and laugh at the attempt to eat healthy/clean.

Good idea, don't listen to the virtual dieting pros that have been there done that, most of whom lost a lot of weight at some point in the rearview mirror, who have experience with a level of diet difficulty well beyond simply "losing weight".

Remember, the drunk at the bar knows best how to quit drinking, the people at AA are cluless on the matter.

The point is.. that alot haven't "been there done that." I know alot of great people in fitness that are body builders who have never struggled with their weight. It's not that their advice is invalid... but I'm not going to eat as much as a man who is trying to bulk up therefore, I'm not going to spend all of my calories eating junk.

Would my attempt to eat healthy/clean be invalid because I choose not to eat junk?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    ooh ooh I'm in!

If your ONLY goal is to lose weight, then no it doesn't matter. Cal in/cal out gets it done.

If your goals include MORE than simply losing weight, (improved athletic performance, less prone to disease, more energy, better recovery, less stress, etc) it begins to matter much more.

Weightloss vs Optimal Health vs Fitness - all different things and different goals that require different methodology.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    ooh ooh I'm in!

If your ONLY goal is to lose weight, then no it doesn't matter. Cal in/cal out gets it done.

If your goals include MORE than simply losing weight, (improved athletic performance, less prone to disease, more energy, better recovery, less stress, etc) it begins to matter much more.

Weightloss vs Optimal Health vs Fitness - all different things and different goals that require different methodology.

Blasphame!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

The point is.. that alot haven't "been there done that." I know alot of great people in fitness that are body builders who have never struggled with their weight. It's not that their advice is invalid... but I'm not going to eat as much as a man who is trying to bulk up therefore, I'm not going to spend all of my calories eating junk.

Would my attempt to eat healthy/clean be invalid because I choose not to eat junk?

A number of people have come into this thread and stated that they are not bodybuilders and not bulking and have had success on IIFYM.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    ooh ooh I'm in!

Blasphame!

I know. I'm a crazy person.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ooh ooh I'm in!

well said! Concise and to the point....
  • CoachReddy
    Options

A number of people have come into this thread and stated that they are not bodybuilders and not bulking and have had success on IIFYM.

and many people have success eating "clean". MOST actually fall into both categories - including myself.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Likewise, alot of people have done this eating clean.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Likewise, alot of people have done this eating clean.

Your error was mischaracterizing those who disagree with you. Lean male doesn't mean bodybuilder, bulking, or never been fat.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I dont know anyone that can adapt to eating super small amounts of food even on heavy appetite suppressants. I am talking about the stuff that is illegal

Hmmm...I know illegal stuff that will prevent hunger for days on end. Not healthy, but it does supress the appetite. :smokin:

Just here to say that I thought the topic was "Clean junk- does it matter?"

^^ Clean junk is crucial, imho, especially if you are ever using illegal appetite supressants. :wink:

Moral of the story, keep your junk clean

/thread
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

But no-one is saying to eat junk all the time and no-one is saying you have to eat junk at all. All people are saying it that you do not have to 'eat clean' all the time.

You made a disparaging comment about people - you later admitted that you had only read the first three pages, and it was obvious that you had not read them very well.

Just as you find it annoying that people jump down your throat for 'eating clean' (which is not something they should do - if it works for you, then it is the best 'diet' for you), others, that do incorporate some 'unclean' food in their diet find it annoying to have disparaging comments made about them. It works both ways.

ETA: if you want input from someone who has lost a significant amount of weight, check out the post from Ed Davenport a few pages back - then check out his ticker.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Your error was mischaracterizing those who disagree with you. Lean male doesn't mean bodybuilder, bulking, or never been fat.

Or female.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

What do you mean?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

You sarcastically said this is a thread where bodybuilders tell everyone else how to eat. You misunderstood pretty much everyone in the thread as well as what they were saying.