Body image self-assessment quiz

Options

Replies

• tepala21
    tepala21 Posts: 17
    Options
    25... was expecting higher actually ;)

Too true... "You are likely to be spending quite a lot of time either trying to change your shape and weight, or trying to avoid doing quite a lot of things, or beating yourself up in some way. This behaviour will make life feel like a battleground and reinforce the bad feelings you already have about yourself."
  • jerknoir
    jerknoir Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    53, woWE REALLY? I'm aT RISK for developing an eating disorder? Nyerk, six years late chump. And I've had a lot of strange advice given to me but sniffing a baby's hair is just weird.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    15. Maybe I am just getting too old to care as much as I might have years ago.

:laugh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I'd be really interested to go and look at the mens scores vs the womens. If I wasn't so tired.

My guess would be for the most part the mens scores are better.
  • tepala21
    tepala21 Posts: 17
    Options

I'd be really interested to go and look at the mens scores vs the womens. If I wasn't so tired.

I would have to agree with you there... we're our own worst critics that's for sure!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If somebody doesn't want to date me, hire me or make fun of me for how I look, that would make them a jerk in my eyes -- it wouldn't make me think "hmmm, I need to change so I can be accepted.

Interesting. To walk through life believing that, no matter what, one's own appearance is fine and society at large has a problem for not agreeing...seems like a form of denial to me. But it sounds like a cozy place to live and I kind of envy you for getting there. I just don't think I could ever accomplish the mental gymnastics that it would take for me to say, and truly believe, "The 95% of the population who don't want to date me, hire me or even hold the damn door for me are just jerks! They're the ones with the problem, not me for being fat! I don't need to change a thing!". That's just refusing to take responsibility for one's own life to me.

I couldn't do the mental gymnastics it takes to honestly believe that 95% of people think those who are overweight or obese are scum of the Earth and not worth the time of day. Or that those who do judge ANYONE negatively based on looks alone aren't total jerks. Or believe that I deserve to be treated poorly because I am overweight. Or that being happy and confident with my physical appearance is somehow refusing to be responsible. In particular in light of the fact that I've maintained a substantial weight loss (which what prompted by health and fitness concerns) for 8 years.

But you go ahead and think you're right and that my way of thinking leads to people being oblivious to how terrible their lives are. Take me for instance, I own two businesses, have worked with a fair number of notable sports and news personalities to raise money for charities, have a lovely family, a handful of close, wonderful friends and I life I wouldn't trade anyone for. It totally sounds like the extra 20 pounds I carry now and the extra 50-60 I carried years ago has totally impeded the progress and happiness of my life.

OH WAIT.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    63. Nothing I didn't know.
  • lexus2134
    lexus2134 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Suprised by 30. Seems a bit low for me..
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

I don't think it's "body dimorphic disorder" if you see how your body how it actually is and don't like it.

If i was thinner and saw my body as fat, wouldn't THAT be BDD?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    If somebody doesn't want to date me, hire me or make fun of me for how I look, that would make them a jerk in my eyes -- it wouldn't make me think "hmmm, I need to change so I can be accepted.

Interesting. To walk through life believing that, no matter what, one's own appearance is fine and society at large has a problem for not agreeing...seems like a form of denial to me. But it sounds like a cozy place to live and I kind of envy you for getting there. I just don't think I could ever accomplish the mental gymnastics that it would take for me to say, and truly believe, "The 95% of the population who don't want to date me, hire me or even hold the damn door for me are just jerks! They're the ones with the problem, not me for being fat! I don't need to change a thing!". That's just refusing to take responsibility for one's own life to me.

I couldn't do the mental gymnastics it takes to honestly believe that 95% of people think those who are overweight or obese are scum of the Earth and not worth the time of day. Or that those who do judge ANYONE negatively based on looks alone aren't total jerks. Or believe that I deserve to be treated poorly because I am overweight. Or that being happy and confident with my physical appearance is somehow refusing to be responsible. In particular in light of the fact that I've maintained a substantial weight loss (which what prompted by health and fitness concerns) for 8 years.

But you go ahead and think you're right and that my way of thinking leads to people being oblivious to how terrible their lives are. Take me for instance, I own two businesses, have worked with a fair number of notable sports and news personalities to raise money for charities, have a lovely family, a handful of close, wonderful friends and I life I wouldn't trade anyone for. It totally sounds like the extra 20 pounds I carry now and the extra 50-60 I carried years ago has totally impeded the progress and happiness of my life.

OH WAIT.

Did you know that I love you. You're the best.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Good body image
  • lilredkaty
    Options
    Mine came out at 59 points... Wow. Never knew..
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I scored 11, so I guess I'm fine aside from an occasional off day, but who DOESN'T have one of those?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I scored a 7. I also actually LOVE the way I look now that I lost the weight and have built up my endurance and strength, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

Had I taken this test three years ago, I know the results would have been different.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

OH WAIT.

Did you know that I love you. You're the best.

But I am not miserably self-conscious to the point where I think the world is against me and blame the actions of jerks on my weight? HOW CAN GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME?!
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised at all.
    This number would probably have been the same if I had taken this in high school when I was still healthy, thin, and active in sports. (I can only say healthy and thin in hindsight because at the time i thought I was super ugly. If a boy complimented me I was absolutely certain he had been dared to do it. I turned down a dance with a boy once because I was sure his friends had put him up to it.)
    Part of the result says " It is helpful to trace back your body image memories to early childhood to uncover where the negative feelings first emerged." ...well, that was quick, I can pinpoint it to a person, a few specific choice comments, and a specific shirt all before becoming a teen. I already knew my body image was shot and I already know where that feeling stems from. I just wish I could get over it already.
  • diolpah
    diolpah Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I would disagree entirely with this guess, and spot-checking replies does seem to indicate that men have higher scores in general. Mine came in at 49, for reference.

One thing women generally fail to understand is that while you may go through life being complimented on your eyes, hair, etc, life as a man is almost completely devoid of any kind of physical compliments. We are largely complimented on the work we do, not the physical characteristics we possess.

Consequently, we have no frame of reference for *any* feature about us that may be seen to be attractive.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options

I would disagree entirely with this guess, and spot-checking replies does seem to indicate that men have higher scores in general. Mine came in at 49, for reference.

One thing women generally fail to understand is that while you may go through life being complimented on your eyes, hair, etc, life as a man is almost completely devoid of any kind of physical compliments. We are largely complimented on the work we do, not the physical characteristics we possess.

Consequently, we have no frame of reference for *any* feature about us that may be seen to be attractive.

This is a great point!
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Nawt bad. I thought that it would have been worse. ED recovery is possible!